Flag: Great Britain

Tractor wheel off

Post #1 by Neversweat » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:17 pm

These are from Dave @ Trucknet

Steve :thumbs_up:

RichardJW~

Re: Tractor wheel off

Post #2 by RichardJW~ » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:41 pm

not being funny but i never recall meeting a sane lime spreader driver!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DaveS

Post #3 by DaveS » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:21 pm

Yep, they can get to places you'd never have dreamed possible!

That looks like an Landrive spreader with a driven axle - they allowed loonies to get even further from help! :lol:

DaveS.

RichardJW~

Post #4 by RichardJW~ » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:40 am

DaveS wrote: they allowed loonies to get even further from help! :lol:

DaveS.

Yep, you got that right :lol: :lol: they just never seemed to have any fear. :dizzy:

Around us was ECC Lime Distributors up until the early '80s who ran land-drive 165s in the mid 70s, then 575s then 290/2wds with bolt-on duals.

Renaultman

Post #5 by Renaultman » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:00 pm

Lime spreading is no fun, you try hand balling one of those spreaders that decided it wanted a walk in the woods The feild was so steep the hymac was sliding. We empty a 6 wheeler in 3 loads. Nice pics, we lost a wheel off a spreader before. Nothing wakes you up than having to dodge a wheel coming towards you.

RichardJW~

Post #6 by RichardJW~ » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:07 pm

don't think anyone is saying its "fun" only that I (we including Dave) met some real 'characters' in the earlier days, from the mid '70s till the mid '80's of lime spreading who seemed to arrive on farm with a story or advenuture from the last farm(s) or somewhere in transit that at the time seemed pretty wild, for example meeting some old biddy in a single track road who couldn't reverse a car while they had a 290 with spreader and ramps hooked behind (not spreader backed up on, mind you) and a lorry load of lime behind that......then refused to back up, so poured a flask of coffee and read the papers and waited for madam to make her mind up......what the hell? same as those who drive bulldozers harp on about putting a machine up over a shear face of a cliff, we've all had our own experiences on the 'steep' with tractors but there's no point in turning this thread in to a pissing contest as to who's had the worst, most dangerous, silliest experience in playing there.....we all did it for the adrenalin and most importantly lived to tell the tale....so what?

Gordon 2

Post #7 by Gordon 2 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:21 pm

Hi Richard hope you are well. I think the lads seem to be thinking it's funny ? Wonder how funny hunt and retrieve the wheel will be eh ??

DaveS

Post #8 by DaveS » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:42 pm

The guys often stuck at it for years too!

Up here the 'OnTop' spreader became the thing to have, built by limespreading contractor John Gillon from truck components. I'll post some pics later.

Dave. S.

RichardJW~

Post #9 by RichardJW~ » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:52 pm

Hello Gordon, hope all is well, good to see you here..........how's that County? How's this blinkin' recession treating you?

RichardJW~

Post #10 by RichardJW~ » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:58 pm

DaveS wrote:The guys often stuck at it for years too!

that's it Dave.........and I can still see my old man leaning on his stick telling the driver where to go and how many tons an acre and not to let too much drift out over the housing estate and any left over had to go in a grass field out round the corner and him looking back saying "o.k. Captain I got all that!" and tearing off down across the field in a cloud of lime..........think you had to be there to comprehend their blatant disregard for the law of the land and gravity......but it was still bloody funny at the time :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Return to “Accidents and Bogged in machines”