poor gritter

Show us bogged in machines here

Topic author
d4c24a

poor gritter

Post #1 by d4c24a » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:59 pm

as some of you know i do a spot of gritting for some extra cash ;)
i work for a subbie who owns the trucks as well mine was the newest to the fleet a 2000 x plate leyland /daf it has been a gritter all its life and only has about 30.000 K,s on it
the council contractor we work for has two 6 wheel grab trucks which have demount bodies put it when needed
anyway as the wash down has been frozen for the past week things have got a bit dirty ,but on Thursday night they had managed to thaw one out ,we were all asked to empty out and give the trucks a good wash
one of the 6 wheeler drivers ( a subbie) washed his truck and parked it up
he did not empty it and did not tell anyone this
come Friday morning they needed a grab truck ,so went about the process of removing the demount ,what followed was a number of things
i think that there was a bit of over enthusiastic unloading ,three ton of grit stuck up the front of the body ,and lack of thought :lol:
as the tipper got tipped higher , the stuck grit got dislodged and the demount shot out snapping the strap the should hold it into the body until you have fitted the front legs into the front of my truck :(
although it does not look bad it is ,as the dash and steering wheel pedals have all been pushed back to the point where i can only just fit in
the driver who did not empty the truck is no longer required :lol:
the strange thing is they had to move my truck to get the 6 wheeler out ,in stead of dropping the demount of where it was parked (with a bank of dirt behind) they got it out then reversed mine back in ,then tried to drop the body of in front of it :dizzy:
anyhow i am back to the old seddon atki now
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
knowing less and less about more and more until pretty soon i will know almost nothing about practically everything

Neversweat
Flag: Great Britain

Re: poor gritter

Post #2 by Neversweat » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:21 pm

Driver fell asleep after too much overtime - ran into the back of a bus :D :D

Steve

tim

Post #3 by tim » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:48 pm

I always thought those Leyland Dafs are a bit soft Steve we've got 2 at our place awful things,ask them to get you a Scania next time :thumbs_up: Tim

Neversweat

Post #4 by Neversweat » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:53 pm

tim wrote:I always thought those Leyland Dafs are a bit soft Steve we've got 2 at our place awful things,ask them to get you a Scania next time :thumbs_up: Tim

Tim, You want to get Graham to tell you about the condition of some of them - VOSA field day springs to mind :o

Don't suppose you were parked up on the A33 friday in the middle lay-by ??

Steve

tim

Post #5 by tim » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:01 pm

Neversweat wrote:
tim wrote:I always thought those Leyland Dafs are a bit soft Steve we've got 2 at our place awful things,ask them to get you a Scania next time :thumbs_up: Tim

Tim, You want to get Graham to tell you about the condition of some of them - VOSA field day springs to mind :o

Steve

No Steve We all went to Theale for stone but i had 15 mins in the Reading services,it was probably Dennis. :thumbs_up: Tim

Neversweat

Post #6 by Neversweat » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:05 pm

No Steve We all went to Theale for stone but i had 15 mins in the Reading services,it was probably Dennis. :thumbs_up: Tim

Ah, i only spotted the truck at the last minute on my way to Alton - reduced visability due to my washers packing up for the umpteenth time- they were alright until i topped up the screenwash and increased the mix :(

Steve
Last edited by Holger on Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected the quote /Holger

Topic author
d4c24a

Post #7 by d4c24a » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:13 pm

Neversweat wrote:

Steve

yes the old seddons C AND D reg and AWD,s were a bit tired to say the least :lol: had no heater for two years running until i got an upgrade to the freighter after the AWD rotted away
i remember another driver stopping to help move a downed branch one night some cars had stopped too as they walked back to their cars/lorry he thought i am sure that lorrys moving :o yep it was straight into the back of a VW golf handbrake was on too
i had a block of wood on a piece of rope in one of the AWD,s for a while :lol: jump out and put it under the front wheel ,then pull it out as you drive off :thumbs_up:

tim that was a fair old lump of metal that hit it :oops: it was a good job no one got hurt
cheeers graham

steve do you remember the 4x4 left hooker maggie deutz at toutley dept ,now that was a drive of your life
knowing less and less about more and more until pretty soon i will know almost nothing about practically everything

tim

Post #8 by tim » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:22 pm

Hello Graham It sounds like the fitter at the gritting depot has 6 months off twice a year,it's a good job nobody was hurt. :thumbs_up: Tim

Hugh Jaleak

Post #9 by Hugh Jaleak » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:25 am

I had a Leyland Daf 55 (4 wheeler) with a Whale 2000 gallon tank on the bank. Empty, no problem, full, slower but no problem. Put 1/2 to 3/4 of a load in it and it was all you could do to keep it on the road. Suspension was changed when it was virtually new, made slight improvement, even changing the tyres made it a nightmare. They put Wastemasters on it, soon got those changed back to Bridgestone's.

Soon after that we went over to Merc's, contract maintenance deal was too good to miss, sure that would have been a better chassis for carrying liquid. Sweepers weren't bad on Merc, 1st was right chassis, wrong sweeper! Finally got it near right on 2nd attempt with a Johnston on a Merc. (Still prefer Scania though!)

Topic author
d4c24a

Post #10 by d4c24a » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:13 am

well its gone off to the menders shop :thumbs_up:
surprised me as i would have thought it would be written off
parts are estimated at 2 grand :o

Return to “Accidents and Bogged in machines”