Kobelco

Discuss excavators here

Jeremy Rowland

Re: Kobelco

Post #11 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:56 pm

Hi Folks,

Spotted this Kobelco SK330 yesterday in Dunn Bros scrap yard, note the plate repair on the boom I would assume this is to patch over a crack?
To the right of the picture on the steel plate resting on tressels there is a single tine from a scrap handling grab which has been weld repaired.

Jeremy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jack

Post #12 by Jack » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:01 pm

Our SK130UR Brought from Molson Holdings whom went into liquidation...

IBH

Post #13 by IBH » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:43 am

New Holland are introducing a new conventional 13 tonne excavator (photo in original article):
---
Plant test: New Holland 13t E135B tracked excavator
16:01 23 Sep 2008
By Geoff Ashcroft
Geoff Ashcroft tests New Holland's new conventional 13-tonner the E135B to see what it has to offer.
New Holland has entered the conventional 13-tonner market with the E135B.

Conventional excavators dominate the UK's 13-tonne market, which should be no surprise, as the bulk of sales are into the cost-sensitive plant hire sector and they are cheaper than their reduced radius and zero tailswing counterparts.

Strange then, that after several years of pushing the short radius (SR) E135 and medium swing radius (MSR) E145 excavators - albeit some way above the magical 13-tonne - New Holland has finally decided to properly enter the sector. The all-new E135B is its first conventional 13t excavator to tip the scales 'on-weight' and is within reach of most budgets at a price expected to be some 7% below that of its E135B SR 'short radius' counterpart.

"The 13t sector accounts for over half the UK's excavator market, and we've missed out on market share by not having a 'true' 13-tonner in the range," explains Matteo Calo, New Holland's global product marketing manager for crawler excavators. The arrival of the E135B is part of a realignment programme that sees the heavier, but more compact E145MSR being phased out, leaving the short radius E135B SR and the new conventional machine. This leaves New Holland with seven models between 8t and 21t.

But being late to the party can often have its advantages - there's an opportunity to gather together the best bits of others' machines to produce a truly outstanding piece of plant. So has New Holland done enough?

Driven by an intense cost-focus to take on the likes of Cat's 312, Komatsu's PC130 and Hitachi's ZX130, the E135B appears, at first glance, to be a me-too product that gives buyers yet more choice in an already crowded marketplace.

That's not to say the E135B is cheap - far from it. The Italian-built machine shares the same sophisticated components and undercarriage as the Japanese-built SR version and it gets the same spacious cab as all New Holland's conventional excavators up to the E485. And those with concerns about longevity or reliability can extend the standard one-year/1,000hr warranty to three years/5,000 hrs.

However, the E135B lacks the short radius version's integral noise and dust reduction (INDR) system that reduces internal and external noise levels by a considerable margin. Nor does it have the short-throw, low effort joysticks fitted to the short-radius model.

"We've been careful not to overload the E135B with specification which can increase cost," says Calo. "But those who want to choose additional specification can do so."

Engine
Grunt comes from a Stage IIIA Mitsubishi engine delivering 74kW at 2,000rpm.

The four-cylinder, 4.25 litre turbo and intercooled common-rail engine is said to be matched to the Kawasaki hydraulic system and its improved kinematics afford more production from the same volume of fuel.

That 74kW drives twin 130-lit/min variable displacement axial piston pumps to give the machine its excavating muscle. And with all the components located in a conventional upper structure, maintenance access is straightforward and generous. All daily checks - except the engine oil level - can be done from ground-level and large swing-out doors give unobstructed access to the cooling pack for better cleaning.

Digging equipment extends to a 4.75m one-piece monoboom on to which can be hung any one of three dippers - our test version came with the 2.95m stick, which is expected to be the most favoured choice for UK operators. Its digging envelope mirrors that of the short radius E135B with a maximum 8.77m dig depth and a ground-level outreach of 8.91m. Machines with the optional 'Object Handling Kit' get an audible safe load indicator in the cab.

Running gear includes 500, 600, 700 and 800mm triple grouser options, with a bolt-on track pad for the 500s. Seven lower rollers are supplemented by two upper rollers, and the heavy duty track chain with sealed bushings put more than 3m of track on the ground.

Cab space
The E135B's roomy cab has a single, central-locking mechanism for the front screen and there's a chasm of space behind the seat to accommodate lunch for the hungriest of operators. The interior is neatly laid out with climate control and switches located to the operator's right hand side, while a monitor in the front-right hand corner shows operating mode and critical engine information.

Cleverly, the cab floor wears a two-piece rubber mat - the inner section is profiled so it can be drawn out while standing alongside the machine, making it easy to keep the cab floor clean - a facet that will be much appreciated by plant hirers. Removing the mat reveals the fill-point for the windscreen washer bottle, which is concealed beneath the cab floor. Removing the floor mat also allows the cab filter to be withdrawn from below the operator's seat.

The E135B has four operating modes, which are selected using buttons on the in-cab monitor. Standard 'S' mode runs the engine at 1,800rpm - some 200rpm below its rated speed which can be utilised by selecting 'H' mode (heavy). There are two further modes: 'B' for breaker and 'A' for attachment - both adjustable in terms of flow and pressure to suit the work tool fitted to the end of the dipper stick.

Selecting the working mode is equally straightforward using a 'mode' button on the monitor but as it's not possible to toggle between S and H (for example), operators have to scroll through all four modes each time they want to change.

Output potential
We put the E135B through its paces at a quarry in Colchester, removing over-burden in search of gravel. It was an opportunity to assess the machine's output potential using its different modes and to see just how feature-packed a conventional 13t machine could be.

Climbing into the cab is easy enough with a step on the track frame and large grab handles on the cab structure. There's no shortage of access and settling into the cab reveals just how much room there is inside the E135B with plenty of room for size 11 boots and a large platform behind the seat. I turn the key and bring the E135B into life. It's not the quietest of machines and having spent time the same day at the controls of the short radius E135B SR version, I'm acutely aware of how this model feels much more cost-focused.

Selecting H mode and winding the throttle to full, I reach for the levers only to find they feel completely different to those in the SR - they're longer, have much more travel but feel less precise than the shorter throw equivalent in the Japanese machine. All this quickly rescinds though, as I work the E135B in a trench. Slewing to empty the 48-in Geith bucket, there's plenty of slew motor noise filtering up from below. And the harder I work the E135B, the more noise seems to filter in.

Okay, so I'm working at full rpm in its most muscular mode, so dialling in the standard S mode instantly knocks off 200rpm and makes the machine a little more contained. Though it also rubs off in the hydraulics department too as the machine takes on a steadier, slower path with boom, arm, bucket and slew functions.

In S mode the E135B feels less urgent which was borne out during our trench test (see previous page) and in addition to the quieter environment and steadier movement, S setting gives a useful fuel saving.

Visibility
Yes, the machine feels good and I much prefer the visibility on offer from its open-design offside front corner and lower upper-structure compared with the short radius version. It gives a feeling of openness and makes the machine feel agile, almost nimble. And no matter what you ask of the machine, it responds - albeit with more vigorous inputs at the controls.

The E135B didn't impress, but nor did it disappoint. The easy-lift front screen and generous storage space will be appreciated by many operators - as will the on-board toolbox and adequate storage for a spade, chains and other essential paraphernalia. But there's no getting away from general hydraulic noise and slew motor whine that filters into the cab when working - such intrusion simply doesn't exist on the SR version.

If it were my money and my backside on the seat, I'd be chasing for the SR model over the standard E135B and working hard on hammering down that 7% price differential, as the short radius model is such a more accomplished and quieter package.

But if cost holds sway over comfort, then the E135B has to be worth a closer look.
http://www.contractjournal.com/Articles ... vator.html

Topic author
Martyn Henley
Flag: Great Britain

Post #14 by Martyn Henley » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:17 am

Great post :thumbs_up:

Will be intresting to see how the E135B will do in such a competative market in the 13 ton class

Martyn

Gavin Phillips

Post #15 by Gavin Phillips » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:20 pm

I've seen quite a few Kobelco machines floating around here over the last couple of years, most seem to be in the 13-20 ton range however I have seen an SK330LC on the back of a lowloader heading up the A1...

A few weeks ago, I spied an SK250NLC being loaded onto a pontoon. Had I brought my camera with me, it would have made a great picture!

LC is for Long Carriage (some manufacturers have ditched the C and just use L now instead like CAT, Volvo and JCB it seems) but what does the N suffix mean?

I did see a 200SR "Beetle" as well about 4 years back which was pretty much my introduction to the Kobelco produced line of excavators, and is so far the largest zero-tailswing machine I've seen yet.
Look out that window, Eden isn't burning. Its burnt.

Robban_C

Post #16 by Robban_C » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:43 pm

On some Volvo the "N" suffix is for "Narrow", that is an under carriage that is narrow enough to be transported without any "Wide load" signs. Could it be the same on Kobelco?
Volvo EC45 PRO -06
Volvo EC35 -01
MB-Trac 800 turbo
Bigab 10-14 hook lift trailer
MF 3165, Poor Ferguson

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/RobbanxC

Gavin Phillips

Post #17 by Gavin Phillips » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:00 pm

Look out that window, Eden isn't burning. Its burnt.

Return to “Excavators”