Blaw Knox excavators & graders

Discuss excavators here

Topic author
FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Blaw Knox excavators & graders

Post #1 by FOWLER MAN » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:36 pm

Hollo
Anyone got any photos or spec. on Blaw Knox rope excavators?
I worked on one in the 60's. It was a BK50 1/2 yd machine with a Perkins P6 engine. It belonged to a company called Wm. Pepper, they were a Yorkshire firm, part of the Hargreaves Group. :think: The only others I have seen were two working alongside the railway between Newport and Gloucester in the 1950's. They were new, and I think they were owned by BR. :think: There was also an Osgood and a Linkbelt (both American machines) and Platypus and TD6 dozers.

Still on Blaw Knox . There were BK motor graders in the 50's. The BK12 (Leyland engine I think) :think: and at least one other model. Any information please?

Fred

DaveS

Re: Blaw Knox excavators & graders

Post #2 by DaveS » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:53 am

Hi Fred,

Truck mounted B-K rope excavators were used by the Royal Engineers, certainly an unusual setup for the UK!

I'll have a look for some details.

Dave. S.

BulldozerD11

Post #3 by BulldozerD11 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:40 am

FOWLER MAN wrote:Hollo
Anyone got any photos or spec. on Blaw Knox rope excavators?
I worked on one in the 60's. It was a BK50 1/2 yd machine with a Perkins P6 engine. It belonged to a company called Wm. Pepper, they were a Yorkshire firm, part of the Hargreaves Group. :think: The only others I have seen were two working alongside the railway between Newport and Gloucester in the 1950's. They were new, and I think they were owned by BR. :think: There was also an Osgood and a Linkbelt (both American machines) and Platypus and TD6 dozers.

Still on Blaw Knox . There were BK motor graders in the 50's. The BK12 (Leyland engine I think) :think: and at least one other model. Any information please?

Fred

Hi fred Think there was a BK excavator (rope) in SE Davis yard , Boom is lying by the hedge in long grasss behind the line of shovels and draglines. Sorry but canot find photo yet. :(

Heres a Platypus seen at Llandudno in 08, think there are a couple of other restored ones about.

Dave
Interested in Tractors, Plant, Heavy Haulage or Steam visit http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/Tractor_%26_Construction_Plant_Wiki
Help document every manufacturer model build, and record every machine in preservation, clubs and events etc.

DaveS

Post #4 by DaveS » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:19 am

Here's a B-K 50 truck mount.

Dave. S.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

XS650
Flag: Great Britain

Post #5 by XS650 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:33 pm

They were mounted on Dennis 'Jubilant' truck chassis which was also unusual. The only Dennis crane chassis I know of.
Not all those who wander are lost.

Topic author
FOWLER MAN

Post #6 by FOWLER MAN » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:38 pm

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for posting. :thumbup: The photo. brings back memories, Inever saw a truck-mount version. Surprised to hear its a Dennis carrier. :o Reminds me of the John Allen truck-mount of the period. :think:
Heres a Platypus 30 with blade.
img089.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BulldozerD11

Post #7 by BulldozerD11 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:22 pm

FOWLER MAN wrote:Hi Everyone,
Thanks for posting. :thumbup: The photo. brings back memories, Inever saw a truck-mount version. Surprised to hear its a Dennis carrier. :o Reminds me of the John Allen truck-mount of the period. :think:
Heres a Platypus 30 with blade.
img089.jpg

Cheers Fred

:claphands: so thats 4 then that survive - I'd not seen one with a blade yet but some strip them off for ease.

Heres a Blaw-Knox blade on a Fowler VF

URL of the original image: http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/tractors/images/4/46/Fowler_VF_and_Blaw-Knox_Blade_no._171_at_Belvoir_08_-_P5180397.jpg

Dave
Interested in Tractors, Plant, Heavy Haulage or Steam visit http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/Tractor_%26_Construction_Plant_Wiki
Help document every manufacturer model build, and record every machine in preservation, clubs and events etc.

Topic author
FOWLER MAN

Post #8 by FOWLER MAN » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:30 pm

Cheers Dave.
Platypus was in Devon in 1992. :thumbup:
To continue the Blaw Knox thread , I know this is an excavator forum but I asked about B-K graders too.
I found this photo posted by Dozeron with a B-K grader in the background. :o
Sorry about poor quality. :( I tried to zoom in on it.
What about B-K scraper boxes? :?: Dozeron mentioned a B-K motor scraper in his post? :?:

Fred

DaveS

Post #9 by DaveS » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:41 pm

FOWLER MAN wrote: What about B-K scraper boxes? :?: Dozeron mentioned a B-K motor scraper in his post? :?:

Hi Fred,

Craig posted some old B-K advertising, and I posted a pic of the motor scraper in this thread:
sterling B695 towed scraper

Dave. S.

Topic author
FOWLER MAN

Post #10 by FOWLER MAN » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:57 pm

HI dave S
Thanks, very interesting. :thumbup: The Goliath Scraper is an ugly brute :shock: as someone said. First I've seen.
Wonder if they were any good? :?:

Fred

Return to “Excavators”