The Poclain Thread "Vive le France"!!

Discuss excavators here

Topic author
Nick Drew

The Poclain Thread "Vive le France"!!

Post #1 by Nick Drew » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:27 pm

Lets see your photos of Poclain Excavators another great manufacturer who sadly is no longer with us :cry:

Here are some of mine...

Firstly some shots of a 1970s vintage Poclain TY45 which I found on a farm in St Ive Cornwall, I have recently submitted an article I wrote about this machine to Successful British plant magazine Classic Plant & Machinery.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
Nick Drew

Re: The Poclain Thread "Vive le France"!!

Post #2 by Nick Drew » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:32 pm

And Here are a couple of photos courtesy of Peter Happel of a Poclain TY45 that has been restored and is on permanent display in the town of "Crepy" in France which is where Poclains were built for many years.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RichardJW~

Post #3 by RichardJW~ » Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:33 am

Anyone know how the numbering worked on these? Howe many tonnes is the 160 rated at?

Niklas Eriksson

Post #4 by Niklas Eriksson » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:03 pm

The Poclain 160 excavator had an opperation weight of around 30 ton.
//Niklas Eriksson

rvannatta

Post #5 by rvannatta » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:07 am

Niklas Eriksson wrote:The Poclain 160 excavator had an opperation weight of around 30 ton.

I hadnt heard of Poclains for a while, so wondered in they had gone to iron heaven. :| But that said they
did provide the innovaton that made the modern excavator possible and in some ways resulted on most of the American manufactuers going out of business to be replaced by various Asian manufacturing companies.

What Poclain developed was the high pressure hydraulic system. Here in the US Poclains of the 1970s had a bad reputation for reliability and a reputation for repairs being very expensive when they were needed because of the high pressure hydraulics. However, when the early 1980s hit all the US folks disappeared to be replaced by Asian machines which were far more patterned after the Poclain than any of the American machines that they displaced all of which were low pressure systems.

the much higher working pressures within the hydraulics allowed the machines to be radically downsized because all the plumbing and cylinders could be much smaller---or if you want to look at it the otherway---the same weight machine could be much more powerful.

Among the things that Poclalin developed was the wobble plate hydrualic motor, and we even have a hydro-drive log skidder that uses those wheel motors directly in the while with the tire bolted to the motor with no gear train or planatary reduction..... Very amazing technology.

But alas, it is not uncommon for those who innovate not to survive to benefit from their innovation.

Topic author
Nick Drew

Post #6 by Nick Drew » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:33 pm

Here are some shots of some old 220s that were lying in a sales yard in St Ive in Cornwall England (South West Excavations) is a local company ran by a guy called Phil Cross, they always have a wide range of old & new machines for sale to suit every budget.

This 220 backhoe was sold to a chap who already runs a 60 & 61.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #7 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:28 pm

Hi to all,

I do have a few old Poclain pics which I will post when the chance presents itself. :?:
However thought I'd post this pic of a Case-Poclain 1288 machine that I recently came across being used in a scrap yard.

:)

Jeremy

Jeremy Rowland

Post #8 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:29 am

Oh well said I'd look some Poclain pics out the first pic is an old TYS it belonged to a company called Wades of Wednesbury and their yard was originally in Rigby st, Hill Top by the Tame valley canal.
I took this pic around 1977 I believe that this machine was purchased new I can remember it being around for quite a while, but I never saw it again when Wades moved to Coseley. :mrgreen:

Jeremy

Jeremy Rowland

Post #9 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:37 am

The next offering is a Poclain 75. Sadly this was the only shot I got of her because when I went to the same site the following week she was on her side ready for the "hot spanner" :cry:

Jeremy Rowland

Post #10 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:44 am

Alas the sad end of the same machine. :cry:

Return to “Excavators”