Hymac Excavators

Discuss excavators here

Jeremy Rowland

Re: Hymac Excavators

Post #1051 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:52 am

essexpete wrote:
Jeremy Rowland wrote:Joe that's a nice tidy looking Ford powered 580C; its been modified but looks great, where about can this beast be found? :thumbup:

Jeremy

Does look tidy but come on then what are the mods! :wave:

Oh yes the mods; Pete they are simple panel mods, the right hand panel that covers the hydraulic spool valves has been replaced with a home-made fabricated two piece version by the look of it and the rear engine cover now looks like it has a mesh cover, nothing drastic. :D

Jeremy

Jeremy Rowland

Post #1052 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:21 pm

Came across this by chance the other day :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQf81bfDHZs

Most interesting non-standard cab and roughly bodged engine cowling off another machine; I think its a 1080 but not a 100% at this time. :thumbup:

Jeremy

essexpete

Post #1053 by essexpete » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:25 am

Jeremy Rowland wrote:Came across this by chance the other day :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQf81bfDHZs

Most interesting non-standard cab and roughly bodged engine cowling off another machine; I think its a 1080 but not a 100% at this time. :thumbup:

Jeremy

What engine would that be Jeremy? It looks a bit lumbering on the hydraulics but perhaps age and wear?

Jeremy Rowland

Post #1054 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:41 am

Pete the standard engine would either be a four cylinder Rolls Royce or Cummins V6 or if it was a 1290 it would be an inline Cummins NH220; I suspect that its a 1080 that's had the old engine 'blow up' and a Volvo unit fitted in its place which is a quite common thing to do in Sweden.

Jeremy

strontium90
Flag: Great Britain

Post #1055 by strontium90 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:39 pm

Hello everyone...have just joined this site and love the pics of the old hymacs. I recently bought one (about a month ago) for work on our farm...we bought her working from another farm...I cleaned her underneath and sprayed the undercarriage and touched her up here and there...have been using her to clear hedges for fencing and cleaning open ditches..here are some pics

IMAG0445.jpg
IMAG0446.jpg
IMAG0448.jpg
IMAG0449.jpg
IMAG0450.jpg
IMAG0451.jpg
IMAG0456.jpg
IMAG0457.jpg
IMAG0458.jpg
IMAG0460.jpg

So far I've had a track come off and a few technical questions bit am not sure if this is the right section of forum to ask in
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #1056 by Jeremy Rowland » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:55 pm

Hi Alex welcome to CMN :wave: that looks like a nice late production 580C with the Ford engine that you have there :thumbup: just ask any questions about this machine here, if I or anybody else can help they will. :thumbup:

Jeremy

strontium90

Post #1057 by strontium90 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:40 pm

Thanks Jeremy...Yes, she has the Ford engine which smokes a bit when started but runs fine..Ok, I have bought the workshop manual and had to fix a brake straight away...parts sourced for a tenner from local breaker (3 miles away)...Aside from the fuel gauge not working and the bucket ram seal leaking, (which I think I can sort myself), she is a bit sloppy on the slew...by this, I mean she tends to creep to the right a little bit when the boom extended...she does this no matter what position you have the table...ie 90 degrees, 180 degrees etc...it is very slight and only noticeable when hammering in posts, loading trailer etc...
I am learning to work with it as want to get a bit done before it turns too wet...when I get finished ditching I will house her and look at problem...could it be...

Hydraulic Filters (three of them)
Control linkage
Spool valve O rings and seals
Cross relief or main Relief valves
Slew motor

If it doesn't get any worse, I think I can manage with her
btw, problem is same, cold or warm
Thanks in advance
Alex

Jeremy Rowland

Post #1058 by Jeremy Rowland » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:29 pm

Alex I have a sloppy slew on my 580BT I think it's probably the slew motor itself and is one of the jobs on my list to get sorted, the slew on my 580BT is very inaccurate making the machine a bit of a pain to operate. I changed the hydraulic filters on my machine just out of the desire to know that the job was done you will need a square drive to enable you to do this, I got one knocked up at work. The outer filter will be the tightest I needed a scaffold pole on a 1" drive bar to shift mine, the other two filters came off relatively easy, you may be lucky enough to get yours off without too much trouble.
I will have a word with Tony about the slew I am pretty sure he told me it was the slew motor itself that was probably causing the issue, I don't think they are too much trouble to do the seals on but removing them is not the easiest of jobs.

Jeremy

strontium90

Post #1059 by strontium90 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:07 am

I suspected so myself, Jeremy....think it's a job I will wait until spring to complete....fortunately I live within half a mile from an engineering works who loaned me a 6' stillson wrench to remove the cap on the bucket ram and a breakers yard (3 miles https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zU3HRzMvYw ) Should be handy as I can see Hymacs there already....
I am learning to work round her, if you know what I mean...will let you know how I get on
Alex

Jeremy Rowland

Post #1060 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:48 am

No shortage of parts then :lol: does make life easier. Good luck with it nice to see these old girls still doing a bit. :thumbup:

Jeremy

Return to “Excavators”