Hymac 690

Discuss excavators here

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Hymac 690

Post #1 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu May 19, 2022 10:45 pm

As some of you may be aware I have come into possession of a Hymac 690; I don't really want to go into too much detail but the digger is one of only 64 of it type built of which two were experimental models.
This old girl has seen much better days and probably presents the greatest challenge to me yet, I consider that the Poclain is 100% now the tracking issue has been sorted, there are still the few odd bits I will tidy up as and when the chance permits, the 580BT requires much more work but like the Poclain it is fully functional, for the moment I just want to get the 690 where it is in a similar state, that however is a mammoth task.
The first issue to be sorted is to get the engine running decently, a knackered turbo is the main problem here, the four studs that hold it to the exhaust manifold are so rotted that the only way forward is to remove the complete exhaust manifold which I got done today after a few bruises and much cursing, this one is going to take some effort.
The rust and muck behind the manifold and its rotten heat shield along with copious amounts of carbon build up in the exhaust ports were rather soul destroying to say the least, oh well I suppose like the other two machines it can only get better (I hope).

Jeremy

Whitlock 505
Flag: Wales

Re: Hymac 690

Post #2 by Whitlock 505 » Thu May 19, 2022 11:03 pm

Congratulations on your new acquisition Jeremy!
As I was always told "eat the elephant in small chunks" if you get fed up have a rest and come back to it! I've been working on my 370C today ready for the show in Crynant and I couldn't figure out why the levers weren't working,had a break went back and I'd put one of the joints back on the wrong way
Keep the faith
Ian

Matchless?58
Flag: Great Britain

Post #3 by Matchless?58 » Fri May 20, 2022 12:01 am

Ive got to say you must really enjoy pain Jeremy ! That looks like a major challenge but life would be awfully boring if we didn't accept these challenges once in a while . You have made a super job of your other two machines so go for it . I am looking forward to following your progress .

essexpete

Post #4 by essexpete » Fri May 20, 2022 12:02 am

Is that a Perkins Jeremy?

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #5 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri May 20, 2022 10:09 am

essexpete wrote:Is that a Perkins Jeremy?

Yes Pete it's the Perkins T6.354; I believe one of the experimental models (a one off) was fitted with a Detroit V6 two stroke engine, that was when Hymac were trying to break into the American market but that all came to nothing.

Thanks Ian and Chris :thumbup: yes another challenge and a machine that would otherwise have already potentially been cut up for scrap which I did not want to see happen, unfortunately for me this one is a big challenge compared to what I took on with the other two machines, the main plan for this one is to at least get the engine running correctly and the machine basic operations, then worry about the rest of it.

Jeremy

mechman

Post #6 by mechman » Fri May 20, 2022 11:06 am

Jeremy.
The patina gives it character. :thumbup:
Norm.

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #7 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri May 20, 2022 6:30 pm

mechman wrote:Jeremy.
The patina gives it character. :thumbup:
Norm.

:lol: :claphands: unfortunately it gives it more than that; I may just bead blast this one, mind there may be nothing left but a pile of rusty shale. :lol:

Jeremy

topkit

Post #8 by topkit » Sun May 22, 2022 10:12 am

That is a rare machine indeed Jeremy, Well done for taking it on. For me Hymac is the only name you ever would see on a 360 as I was enjoying my childhood playing on diggers, There were a few JCB's and the odd MF 450s but in the main it was lime green everywhere, Around my area Gamble had 580's and a 590 too, Happy days!

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #9 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun May 22, 2022 4:04 pm

topkit wrote:That is a rare machine indeed Jeremy, Well done for taking it on. For me Hymac is the only name you ever would see on a 360 as I was enjoying my childhood playing on diggers, There were a few JCB's and the odd MF 450s but in the main it was lime green everywhere, Around my area Gamble had 580's and a 590 too, Happy days!

Yes indeed I agree; by me there was Chas Penn's scrap yard with 4 x 580C machines and the 880, then just down the road at Wednesbury there was Chas B Pugh's scrap yard with the stand mounted Hymac 880, a Hymac 610C and a stand mounted 580B, over the road from them was Frank Wright's scrap yard they had a Poclain LC80 and a TCS. Not so far away the Patent Shaft Steel Works operated Hymac 610/610C and 595 machines; up by the 'Baggies' footy ground heading towards the ground away from West Bromwich was a small scrap yard with a single very early Hymac 580C in it, called J.A. Williams, just a bit further up the road there was C.H. Ford & Sons scrap yard that had around five Hymac machines in there among them was a 610C, an early 580C, the rest were 580 and 580B machines, then not so far from Ford's was Dunn Bros who also operated Hymac machines.

Heading back towards home you would find Tew & Rhoden at Great Bridge who operated what I am lead to believe was the first Poclain TY45 in this country, certainly the first one to be used in a scrap yard, they also had a Hymac 610 material handler and later a brand new Poclain 75 stand mounted grab. Burnsides at Willenhall operated an 880 and a 610C, Hill Bros by Junction 10 of the M6 operated a 610C and a 590, back to by the 'Baggies' ground there was Coopers Metals who operated Poclain and Priestman machines. Humphries demolition operated a new Hymac 580C and D Doyle demolition operated Hymac machines, among them was a single Hymac 690 with a two piece boom, and at least one Hymac 890 with the banana style boom, indeed very Happy days for me. I have inserted a copy of the only photo I ever got to take of the 690 operated by D Doyle although I spotted it all over the place by me on different demolition jobs.

Jeremy

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #10 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu May 26, 2022 10:01 pm

After some careful research I purchased a turbo repair kit (which only landed on my doormat today while I was up there :doh: ) so the plan is to rebuild the old turbo, this should prove interesting as I have never rebuilt one before. Today's plan was simple, remove the turbo from the exhaust manifold and clean them both up.
The turbo mounting nuts took some moving, the hot spanner came in very handy for that, plus Tony Wilson helped me out by heating the turbo while I gently gave it a tap with the hammer, after much ado it finally surrendered. I managed to get the manifold cleaned up along with the threads for the turbo mounting, then plastered them in copper grease.
I cleaned much of the turbo body up, now I finally have the kit then hopefully next visit I will strip the whole lot down and see how far I can get, I still need a set of new exhaust gaskets and to make a new heat shield.

Jeremy

Return to “Excavators”