Hymac 690

Discuss excavators here

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Re: Hymac 690

Post #71 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:53 pm

XS650 wrote:Soon be looking like this Jeremy :)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/183871373 ... ateposted/

Yes Craig that would be great; reality at the minute says differently. :lol: Next update coming..................

Jeremy

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #72 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:03 pm

OBRUT (TURBO) oh no! :evil:

To cut a very long story short my turbo luck is virtually nil at the moment, both myself and Tony Wilson who is Andrew's mechanic could not get the used turbo to part company with the exhaust section, we had heat on it clouted it till the casting nearly broke, soaked it in derv and still no go. :twisted: I have red arrowed the bit that gets stuck on the one that came apart.
Unfortunately it was for a side mount and not rear mount so once again I was stuck :thumbdown: then last week Andrew told me he had found an old knackered turbo cartridge that looked similar, a quick inspection and measure with a vernier showed that it was an older version of the same turbo but a bit worn out, the only difference was the oil feed and drain which is not beyond my capabilities to modify.
Today I used parts from all three turbos to make a half sensible one, just got to mod the oil feed and drain then hey presto I may have a working turbo. :thumbup:

Jeremy

mechman
Flag: Great Britain

Post #73 by mechman » Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:03 pm

Jeremy Rowland AKA Turbo man. Well done. :thumbup:
Norm.

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #74 by Jeremy Rowland » Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:28 pm

mechman wrote:Jeremy Rowland AKA Turbo man. Well done. :thumbup:
Norm.

Norm, I can assure you that I won't be taking one of these apart again for a very long time, preferably never again. :lol:

Jeremy

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #75 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:02 pm

This week was the easy bit (dare I say it) all I had to do was modify the oil feed and drain off, now I knew this would not be straight forward, I obtained two pieces of metal to act as a bridge for each part. I took on the oil feed first, the main issue here was that it is impossible to measure the hole centres for the securing bolts; as I had already made a gasket I used that to locate the holes by applying grease to the back of the new bridge plate then carefully placing it on the gasket, with the gasket stuck in position I had my hole centres. :thumbup:
Simply drill and tap, job done; the drain was more of an issue as it is quite wide for the narrow gap, I opted to chop off the thread and Tony Wilson kindly welded it to the bridge plate.
After this the turbo was fitted back on the engine, I had to modify the drain as it now sits lower than before, after fannying around with it and getting it very near I gave up as light was lost, so just the feed and drain pipes to fit next week all being well, then I may run it up. :thumbup:

Jeremy

Slooby
Flag: Great Britain

Post #76 by Slooby » Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:43 am

Glad to hear that you have finally had some better fortune with the turbo!
CMN Stuff: MF65, Thwaites Nimline, JCB 3CX
Projects: S11a 88" V8 Hybrid, 2 x S111 109"s, Mk11 Mini, Harrison L5A :doh:
Ish projects: T25 Camper, ST675R
Just added: Alpine S5 & Bridgeport Mk2 :wtf:
Sorely Missed: Impreza, E39 M5

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #77 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:14 pm

Oh well yesterday didn't quite turn out how I wanted (surprise surprise :x ) the first opponent to the days preceding 's was of course the weather, I did however manage to successfully fit the turbo oil feed return :thumbup: The bad bit was my attempt to refit the oil feed; when we moved the machine a friend of mine helped out and he fitted a blanking plug into the turbo oil feed to prevent an engine run away situation from occurring as the smoke coming out of the turbo indicated burning oil. This did not matter as the machine only had to climb on and off the low-loader for transport; yesterday I tried to remove the bung that he had fitted using my 1/2" drive Britool breaker bar and a hexagon tool bit, as the bit began to turn I thought great it's coming out but to my displeasure the tool bit had simply rounded the plug inside :dizzy:
Then it came on to chuck it down with rain so that was the end of the days work so far as the 690 was concerned; when that happens I usually give my time to Andrew and do a bit of work for him, this is a way to say thank you for all of his help and for letting me keep my machines there, so I assisted Tony Wilson in some work in one of Andrew's shed on his latest acquisition which I have also posted photos of.
Although I enjoyed that the sting in the tail for the day was sitting for around three hours on the M62 which was closed for emergency work. :thumbdown:

Jeremy

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #78 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:06 pm

Well today didn't start out too good from the weather perspective, it threw it down until lunch time, after that it went dry and sunny, oh well I decided to try and tackle the rounded plug that was now blocking the turbo oil feed. My plan was to hammer the plug then try and use a battery powered nut runner to remove the plug, but despite getting a half sensible fit with the hex socket bit, it began to spin where it was rounded off.
Now there was one last gamble that I could try; I decided to hammer in a 10mm hex bit (next size up) into the rounded plug hoping the hex bit would cut a new hex for itself in the soft plug, which it did. :thumbup:

I started off very steady with the nut runner and hey presto the plug finally came out much to my relief :thumbup: I have assembled the rest of the turbo connections and hope to run it up next week all being well (after curing two more derv leaks).

Jeremy

Whitlock 505
Flag: Wales

Post #79 by Whitlock 505 » Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:08 pm

Well done Jeremy,progress is being made every time and it will be worth it, is that a V8-540 Perkins I see in Andrew's Dennis Fire Engine? That's what was fitted in my Dodge K Series, lovely sounding engines

Ian

essexpete

Post #80 by essexpete » Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:34 pm

Whitlock 505 wrote:Well done Jeremy,progress is being made every time and it will be worth it, is that a V8-540 Perkins I see in Andrew's Dennis Fire Engine? That's what was fitted in my Dodge K Series, lovely sounding engines

Ian

Just what I was going to ask!

Return to “Excavators”