Hymac 690

Discuss excavators here

MrF
Flag: France

Re: Hymac 690

Post #41 by MrF » Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:27 pm

Cor, you do like a challenge on top of a challenge :)
Having had one diesel runaway because of a failed turbo core pumping oil into the intake I think I'd be tempted to put the kit in the replacement turbo. When I've done this, I mark up the impellers and shaft, nut etc, and put them back together with all the marks aligned to try and preserve the original balance.

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #42 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:25 pm

MrF wrote:Cor, you do like a challenge on top of a challenge :)
Having had one diesel runaway because of a failed turbo core pumping oil into the intake I think I'd be tempted to put the kit in the replacement turbo. When I've done this, I mark up the impellers and shaft, nut etc, and put them back together with all the marks aligned to try and preserve the original balance.

I may be tempted to do this just waiting to receive the said turbo, sods law applies I sent the kit back for a refund but no problem to order another one, will have to see what happens.
Yes this machine is in one hell of a mess so it's a real challenge.

Jeremy

Slooby
Flag: Great Britain

Post #43 by Slooby » Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:37 am

You struck a deal on that ebay Turbo then?
CMN Stuff: MF65, Thwaites Nimline, JCB 3CX
Projects: S11a 88" V8 Hybrid, 2 x S111 109"s, Mk11 Mini, Harrison L5A :doh:
Ish projects: T25 Camper, ST675R
Just added: Alpine S5 & Bridgeport Mk2 :wtf:
Sorely Missed: Impreza, E39 M5

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #44 by Jeremy Rowland » Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:54 pm

Slooby wrote:You struck a deal on that ebay Turbo then?

Tim I'm waiting for the guy to send it to me; long story will tell all when I finally get it (I hope) :thumbup:

Jeremy

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #45 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:55 am

I did get up to the machine yesterday; last week was missed due to a funeral of an old work colleague, I will update once I have the few photos I took sorted, plus I'm still a bit sore as I fell off the ***dy thing :thumbdown: fortunately no serious harm done. :thumbup:

Jeremy

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #46 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:36 pm

So yesterday I decided to tackle the throttle assembly which turned into a saga of its own; eventually I got the cable and connection disconnected from the engine side, with the cab uncovered my plan changed slightly because I realized that there was plenty of muck and crap in there that first needed cleaning out so a rapid sweeping out of the cab floor took place.
The actual throttle assembly was seized solid just like the one on the 580BT had been; after much ado I finally got the thing apart and brought it back home with me to work on at home. My tumble came when trying to cover the cab back up prior to going home; anyway no damage done thank goodness, so I have a few bits I can work on at home.
When I got back home a red parcel delivery note in formed me that a heavy parcel had arrived, this is the turbo that Tim had spotted so thanks for that Tim :thumbup: I will take a good look at that when time permits.
Not too many pics today; the first one shows the throttle connection to the engine (which had already been disconnected prior to moving the machine, the second photo shows some of the crap that was on the cab floor, then the cab floor before and afterwards, the seat plinth and finally the throttle assy and parts. I am quietly confident that the throttle cable may just free up, will test that out on my next visit in a fortnight.

Jeremy

Slooby

Post #47 by Slooby » Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:28 pm

Great stuff about the turbo, glad it worked out for you!

Not so great about taking a tumble, but at least no serious harm done.

There is something deeply satisfying about clearing out years of crud on machinery I find

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #48 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:34 pm

Slooby wrote:Great stuff about the turbo, glad it worked out for you!

Not so great about taking a tumble, but at least no serious harm done.

There is something deeply satisfying about clearing out years of crud on machinery I find

Yes indeed Tim I too find satisfaction cleaning crud out of machinery; this one has bought up some gems albeit worthless, there was the remains of an old logbook for a Morris Marina hidden in the back section of the cab, it was pretty moth eaten when I first found its remains I wondered if it was for this machine (assuming it had once been registered) but that turned out to not be the case. I would love to positively identify this old machine, sadly there is no serial number plate in the cab, by my own research I have narrowed it down to about one of eight different machines of the 64 built so for the moment that is all I have. The turbo looks like it was fitted to a machine with the turbo mounted on the side of the engine not the back so it will require turning around although should another manifold become available them I would consider fitting the turbo in that position instead, will just have to see, I am in no race with it. :thumbup:

Jeremy

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #49 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:43 pm

Unfortunately I was not able to make it up there last Thursday, however I had penciled in this Saturday instead, that was until I tested pos for Covid, it knocked me out for a couple of days but I'm feeling a lot better now, hopefully this Thursday I will make it so long as I test clear first. I do have a few bits here at home that I could work on so will have a bash at those if I don't test clear.

Jeremy

Slooby

Post #50 by Slooby » Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:57 pm

Sounds like the vaccine has done it's job for you! I was wiped out for 5 days, ropey for another 3 (like a heavy cold) and then another 2 till I stopped testing positive, fingers crossed you'll be through it quicker!

Return to “Excavators”