Hymac 580c RH Tracking issue

Discuss excavators here

Topic author
Canada Hymac 570c
Flag: Canada

Hymac 580c RH Tracking issue

Post #1 by Canada Hymac 570c » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:37 am

Hello guys I have an old Hymac 580c and am looking for advice on troubleshooting the right side track that just quit working. I think the issue must be in either the rotory distributor or the track motor itself. I swapped the lines going from the spool valves to the distributor and it didn’t move the problem to the other side so I would think the problem has to be past that point.

If the rotary distributor was the issue would it generally affect both sides or just one? If it is the track motor are they rebuildable or are replacements available?

I don’t think it could be the gearbox or chain as it just seemed to fade away rather quickly, but there was no grinding or snapping sounds before it quit.

Is there anything else I could be missing?

Thanks for any advise.

Dan

Jeremy Rowland

Re: Hymac 580c RH Tracking issue

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:35 am

Dan; I am guessing that this issue may be mechanical rather than hydraulic, if you jack the side up that has the issue using the boom and dipper arm, does it move then?
The rotary distributor can be rebuilt with a seal kit but I don't think that is your problem, I suspect either the track gearbox has a gear or bearing failure or the drive shaft has snapped which was a common fault on those machines.
I would be tempted to drop the chain cover off the troublesome side and put it in drive then see what happens, if the chain rotates okay you know the issue is a broken drive shaft, if it does not then it's either the track drive gearbox which is also a common fault, again I don't think it would be the track drive motor but I cannot say that 100%

You say that this came on gradually, how gradually over what period of time? If you need the bits but can't get them over there I have a couple of contacts here so pm me and I will try and help you out but don't use what was the old company.

Jeremy

Topic author
Canada Hymac 570c

Post #3 by Canada Hymac 570c » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:11 pm

Hi Jeremy, when I lifted the boom up on that side it moved for a few rotations but then stopped as well.

I guess I’ll pull the chain cover and see what I can see and let you know.

Thanks.

Whitlock 505
Flag: Wales

Post #4 by Whitlock 505 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:31 pm

I've helped to do one and It could well be that the cog on one of the gear drives is mashed and it will move when there is no weight on it, take the gear cover off as you said and investigate, it should reveal the problem, if the gears are intact it could be hydraulic

Ian

essexpete

Post #5 by essexpete » Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:14 pm

Gears/shafts get damaged when bearing fail. On our one I should have checked the oil. It was full brown watery sludge. Bearing collapsed allowing a shaft to come out of mesh chewing up things.

Topic author
Canada Hymac 570c

Post #6 by Canada Hymac 570c » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:13 pm

Well I took off the chain cover and found the issue.

Looks like the keyways have sheared off.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #7 by Jeremy Rowland » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:10 pm

Interesting, looking at that sprocket, it has plenty of small indentations on it as if somebody has been knocking it with a hammer :think: you will need to split the track to remove the damaged drive shaft, however before doing that get the sprocket off first and examine just how damaged the drive shaft is, even so I think it will need removing, pm me if you need parts I will do my best to try and help you source them.

Jeremy

mechman
Flag: Great Britain

Post #8 by mechman » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:07 am

Are the keys designed to shear( safety type of thing like shear pins) or is it one of those things that happens?
Norm.

Topic author
Canada Hymac 570c

Post #9 by Canada Hymac 570c » Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:04 am

So I took the rest of it apart today. The bearings and seals are toast. The shaft and sprockets I think will be OK. Can anyone give me part numbers to cross reference for bearings (inner and outer) as well as the face seals and inner oil seal to see if I can source locally, otherwise I might need your assistance Jeremy to source the parts over there.

Topic author
Canada Hymac 570c

Post #10 by Canada Hymac 570c » Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:13 am

[img]http://www.classicmachinery.net/forum/images/userpix/66390_2YV59KGEDESK01616292456.jpg

Return to “Excavators”