JCB 3C2 Engine removal

Discuss excavators here

Topic author
jcb farmer
Flag: Great Britain

JCB 3C2 Engine removal

Post #1 by jcb farmer » Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:39 pm

Hi,

Can anyone offer any advice on how to remove the engine form my early 1970's JCB 3C2. Ive been at it all day but cant separate from the gearbox. ive removed all bolts from the gearbox housing which is loose but has little weight so doesn't appear to be connected to the gearbox inards. the engine lifts away from the chassis with a jack underneath but will not slide forward. Any advice on how to do this will be gratefully received.

Thanks

essexpete

Re: JCB 3C2 Engine removal

Post #2 by essexpete » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:14 pm

Never split a Leyland manual skid but I think you can carry out a clutch change without a split. The top of the transmission tunnel can be removed. You will then see what is going on. Someone with experience will be along on here soon. The Leyland/Nuffield forum might also be helpful to you. I reckon you must have a stud or 2 that need removal.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 7647095338
Last edited by essexpete on Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Re: JCB 3C2 Engine removal

Post #3 by FOWLER MAN » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:10 am

Hi,
It's many years since I stripped one of these, but if I remember rightly you have to disconnect from the gearbox. :think:
You will first have to remove the top cover of the clutch housing and you will find the clutch, (spigot), shaft is joined to the gearbox input shaft with a splined sleeve. This sleeve is pinned to both shafts so remove the pins and slide the sleeve forward clear of the gearbox.
You will also have to lift out the clutch release bearing. To do this you have to remove the spring clips at the ends of the bearing housing and possibly disconnect the pedal. The release bearing should then slip out.
I seem to remember having a tussle removing a cab heater too. :doh:
Fred.

P.S.
It's best part of forty years since I did one of these so memory is a bit hazy. I'm sure we always lifted the engines out rather than slide them forward. I don't really remember why.

Return to “Excavators”