Engine stalls on Pel Job

Discuss excavators here

Topic author
Jonserinio
Flag: Wales

Engine stalls on Pel Job

Post #1 by Jonserinio » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:52 pm

Hello all.Its my first time on here.

Ive got an old Pel Job EB 406. Its been great since Ive had it which I only use occasionally.

Ive recently changed the final drive with an aftermarket model. I put the hydraulics pipes as they were on the old unit. I had problems from that point and the second speed would not work. I got in touch with the supplier who told me which ports to use. These have been now done correctly as far as I am aware.The problem has been that since Ive done this, the engine keeps on dying whether I track or use the machine in any way. The second speed still does not work.
I am a complete novice with this and Im not a mechanic. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks very much

Jeremy Rowland

Re: Engine stalls on Pel Job

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:26 am

Hi Ian and welcome to the site :wave: somebody here may be able to help you; I know that Julian Carder has a couple of these machines and has restored one he may be able to offer you some advice, he does have an account on this site so if you look under the JCB topics you should come across it, just pm him, any probs and I'll pm you his number.

Jeremy

Gerard

Post #3 by Gerard » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:54 pm

Hi Ian
quick question, why did you change the final drive? motor failure or drive failure? can you disconnect the 2 speed at all? or check the case drain out of the new motor?

Gerard

Topic author
Jonserinio

Post #4 by Jonserinio » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:13 pm

Hi Gerard.
The gearing seized and would not drive
They told me to disconnect the 2nd speed pipe and drain and put in container. Start machine, put in 2nd and whichever pipe sprayed to connect to middle port. There was no difference in the amount of spay with the second switch on or off.

essexpete

Post #5 by essexpete » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:18 pm

I am no hydraulic expert but can we confirm that the engine dies when the boom etc are operated without trying to track?

FOWLER MAN

Post #6 by FOWLER MAN » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:04 pm

Hi,
Sounds to me as though you may have a problem with the rotary distributor, that's the bit that transfers the fluid from the revolving top end to the static base. :think:
All your travel motor feeds will be routed through there including the two speed line. I have known a locked up travel box to blow distributor seals and even cause distortion of the grooves in which the seals sit. :doh:
The confusing thing is that I cant see that a problem here could load up the engine when using bucket, arm, boom or slew as that part of the system is independent of the travel circuit. :?
The only part of the system they share apart from the pump/ pumps is the main relief valve and the return line and filter where the oil returns to tank/ reservoir. A restricted return line filter could load up the system and make the engine struggle :?: :?: . Worth checking. :think:
The only way to be sure what's going on is to get someone to run a pressure check for you.
Good luck. :thumbup:
Fred

Return to “Excavators”