JCB mini digger/excavator Engine Mounts

Discuss excavators here

Topic author
sparkapuss
Flag: France

JCB mini digger/excavator Engine Mounts

Post #1 by sparkapuss » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:12 am

I have a JCB 8014 2005 model with a very low 600 hours on the clock, some time back I noticed a red sticky gunge which appeared to be some sort of fluid leak but further investigation proved it to be somehow caused by disintegrated engine mounts. So JCB wanted £58 + VAT each mount, Poland source gave me 3 for about 45€ delivered, then the fun starts. After removing the battery, first one was reasonably straightforward, second at the front of the machine was manageable after working out how to tilt the cab, but the third one, which sits behind the fuel tank is visible but not so simple to access with spanners etc. Has anyone got any experience of doing this job as I believe the fuel tank will have to be removed before access is possible. I sent of for a "workshop manual" advertised on EBay UK which turned out to be a service handbook ripped on to a CDR but I can't see anywhere I can get an actual manual of how to perform the job. Any pointers greatly appreciated.

essexpete

Re: JCB Engine Mounts

Post #2 by essexpete » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:56 pm

A good question which I await with anticipation! I have a slightly later 8018 with dodgy mounts that allow the plastic fan to catch the rad cowl occasionally. Should have sorted sooner as I have now busted the flex exhaust pipe. I have put off the job as it looks a PITA. Never any problem with old Peljob or Yanmar.

Topic author
sparkapuss
Flag: France

Post #3 by sparkapuss » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:14 pm

I didn't appreciate when replacing the two mounts I have already done that by placing a trolley jack and a bit of wood under the sump, to lift the engine up, so as the new mounts would slip in, that I was buggering the very same flexi pipe on the exhaust. Bearing in mind the fact that I had already had a couple of spares price quotes from JCB dealers in the UK, I got a proprietary supposedly flexi stainless steel pipe from a dealer in Essex, cost £32, absolutely useless, lasted all of 2 hours, then it sounded like a formula 1 car. Anyway flexi from JCB is £38 so once I can fathom out the sequence of dealing with the last mount I will get the proper one. This all came about after I had cleared some trees from a field and put the digger away in the barn, when I came to use it a couple of weeks later, no oil or water in it, buzzers and lights flashing everywhere, looked underneath and eventually found that the sump had dropped down so far it had rubbed on the metal sump guard and worn a very small crack in itself. New sump from JCB about £180, tin of plastic padding, liquid metal, £12, but repair from inside the sump

essexpete

Post #4 by essexpete » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:35 pm

Tackled job today and found that perhaps I had been lucky that more damage had not occured. What a PITFA to work on.
The mount hidden behind the hydraulic and diesel tanks had dropped the studs out of the engine block. Bothe side the rubber mounts had collapsed as well. The following might be of use to someone.

Remove the following:
Rear engine hood, battery, auxiliary and offset pedals plus the surround around the pedals and tracking levers. Remove the large securing bolts at the front of the platform to then tilt the whole platform. To gain access to the left hand mount remove the bolts that link the diesel tank to the hydraulic tank and slid the diesel tank forward. Not necessary to remove the pipes and electrical connection for this. Use a suitable jack with a flat lump of wood to take the weight of the engine. I removed the whole left hand mount as a whole (it was half off any way) but the right hand cannot be removed as a whole without taking off the exhaust mounting bracket/plate. Replaced the rubber mount with the bottom right bracket in situ.
I purchased the mounts from Vicary Plant for about £55 for three including VAT and delivery. Greenshields Barking although very helpful were £60 per mount + VAT. I did purchase the exhaust flex pipe from Greenshields as a proper JCB part for about £34 plus VAT and postage.
The vertical exhaust flex pipe I could not fit by sliding one way then the other for fear of damaging it. Rather than touch the manifold end I removed the battery tray which gave access to the exhaust silencer straps. These were loosened to allow the vertical pipe from the silencer end to pivot away from the top pipe and allow the easy fitting of the flex pipe. I hope that makes sense to anyone who actually looks at the job.
Refitting the front of platform mounting bolts and rubbers was difficult in that the hole did not readily line up. A ratchet strap was used to pull the frame into place.
Last edited by essexpete on Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

essexpete

Post #5 by essexpete » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:37 pm

Would it be possible to rename the original thread title to include mini digger/excavator?

Jeremy Rowland

Post #6 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:46 pm

essexpete wrote:Would it be possible to rename the original thread title to include mini digger/excavator?

I'll get Holger to sort it :thumbup:

Jeremy

Holger
Site Admin
Flag: Sweden

Re: JCB mini digger/excavator Engine Mounts

Post #7 by Holger » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:21 am

Some resources:
How-To

essexpete

Re: JCB mini digger/excavator Engine Mounts

Post #8 by essexpete » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:00 pm