Poclain 75 CKB

Discuss excavators here

Hugh Jaleak
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Poclain 75 CKB

Post #101 by Hugh Jaleak » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:00 pm

Brilliant update, Thankyou. :gooodpost:

I had some experience of the Deutz 5 pot engine in a Cat 211 in the early 90's, in the 3 years I had that machine, it never lost the drive belt for the cooling fan, so hopefully with the fitment of the genuine belts, that issue should be solved for you. Interesting to see Poclain taking drive from that end of the engine, on the Cat the pump was on the other(flywheel) end. Wonder why Poclain decided to do it that way, (or possibly a French idiosyncracy, similar to Citroen with some of their earlier cars.)

essexpete

Post #102 by essexpete » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:55 pm

Yes I forgot to say a well done and thanks to Jeremy.

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #103 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:17 pm

Hugh Jaleak wrote:Brilliant update, Thankyou. :gooodpost:

I had some experience of the Deutz 5 pot engine in a Cat 211 in the early 90's, in the 3 years I had that machine, it never lost the drive belt for the cooling fan, so hopefully with the fitment of the genuine belts, that issue should be solved for you. Interesting to see Poclain taking drive from that end of the engine, on the Cat the pump was on the other(flywheel) end. Wonder why Poclain decided to do it that way, (or possibly a French idiosyncracy, similar to Citroen with some of their earlier cars.)

According to a friend of mine Poclain use the flywheel end of the engine for the transmission on their wheeled excavators; just makes these machines a little harder to change the drive belts when the time comes.
Must say I have missed going up there during this current lockdown but if needs must then the sooner we beat this pandemic the better for all of us.

Jeremy

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #104 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:54 pm

I finally managed to get up there since this last lockdown began; the machines have not run for the last 3 months now, thankfully both started easily. There was some work for the Poclain too, Andrew had a pile of rubble mixed with thorns and bits of wood that he wanted buried so I set about the task of digging a suitable hole to put it in.
Neil Crossley and Phil Peacock also got a go in the Poclain, the first time she has been used since Andrew's last working event which was over a year ago now, I hope I can pick up the pace again and get stuck in to get the rest of the work done on it, she's not a bad machine for her age.

Jeremy

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #105 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:31 pm

Here's a small clip of Neil Crossley at the controls of the Poclain from my last visit two weeks ago;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3YE3q8t3Hg

Jeremy

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #106 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:05 pm

I was unable to make it up there last week due to circumstances beyond my control; however today I got back up there and managed to get my motivation going again, so the next on the list was the top of the left hand bonnet cover. Like the right hand one this one was rotted with holes in it and so a similar repair was made, my thanks to Tony who does some bits 'n' bobs for Andrew, and who MIG welded the steel plates for me. Although it's now repaired and looking like a patchwork quilt, I still need to get some top coat paint onto this cover, hopefully on my next visit.

Jeremy

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #107 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:40 am

Taking advantage of the good weather is a must when working outside on machinery especially when you are tackling bodywork; I have never made any secret that I am crap at bodywork and electrics although to a degree I will attempt to tackle either issue on any machine unless I'm out my depth, so yesterday I took on one of the jobs I had been dreading with this machine, the rotten cab back, plus a general tidy up of the rest of the cab.

After removing the rust and finding the edge around the screen was rotted away with holes and a double skin, after taking advice I took the inevitable step of removing the cab back window which could only be done by cutting the old screen rubber. With the screen removed the double skin metalwork around it is solid enough, I cleaned off the rust and measured up a new piece of steel plate and cut it to size using a slitting disc. This will hopefully be welded in next week by Tony Wilson; he suggested cutting the window out after the plate has been welded into position to prevent distortion of the metal, at the same time the rest of the rotten metal can be carefully cut out, what is left of it will be used to mark out where the window will fit, well that is the plan anyway. I did give everything a coat of primer before I left the machine as I did not fancy finding it all red rusty at my next visit, it will only need a small amount removing to permit the plate to be welded in. I also touched up part of the cab door and sides.

Jeremy

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #108 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:22 pm

Just a quick update here; Tony Wilson kindly welded the new plate which I had cut out last week onto the back of the cab, it was decided to cut the window hole out first which was done, I finished the job off by sanding the rust off the inside of the cab double skin and painting inside and out with etch primer. I'm in no hurry to get this done so probably top coat paint next visit then fit the glass back in all being well. My thanks to Tony and Tim Brown who also helped out.

Jeremy

essexpete

Post #109 by essexpete » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:00 pm

Looking good Jeremy.

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #110 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:31 am

essexpete wrote:Looking good Jeremy.

Thanks Pete :wave: she's slowly getting there just wish I could spend more time up there working on my machines, it's not work when you enjoy what you are doing, just an expensive hobby that's all. :D

Jeremy

Return to “Excavators”