Poclain 75 CKB

Discuss excavators here

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Re: Poclain 75 CKB

Post #161 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:49 pm

Today I was able to make it up there and I had a fair idea of what I wanted to accomplish; the front part of the bonnet panel is the last main part of the machines exterior that requires painting, so after scraping off the double red line decal, a quick linish with the angle grinder and flapdisc brought it back to bare metal. I also cleaned up the rough filler and added another small amount of filler which I sanded off the best I could, I would never make it in a vehicle body-shop!
Once done a coat of primer was applied which dried almost instantly in the sunshine, after which I gave it a light coat of topcoat which also dried quickly and then a final topcoat which was finger dry by the time the weather decided to change and a few spots of rain fell. Fortunately I got the half dry paint covered with a sheet before it started to rain in earnest.
Another small job was to remove the offside bonnet cover lock barrel which I stripped, cleaned and will try and get a key cut ready for my next visit; going forward I need to refit the operators seat when it comes back to me and fit new arm rests, touch up some of the paint ready for the decals then finally tackle the rotary coupling seals, I am hoping that will be job done for this machine, but unless you are doing a complete strip, nut and bolt rebuild you inevitably find another small job or two.

Jeremy

essexpete

Post #162 by essexpete » Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:06 am

Jeremy do you paint with roller, brush or both? Looks like you are getting there.

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #163 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:07 am

essexpete wrote:Jeremy do you paint with roller, brush or both? Looks like you are getting there.

Call me old fashioned Pete but I prefer to use a brush; I may have another go with the spray gun but for such a small part of the machine it's not worth the hassle of borrowing Andrew's tractor mounted compressor, plus the faff of cleaning everything up afterwards, she is not so very far away now but I have still a bit to do yet.

Jeremy

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #164 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:38 pm

Another trip today was quite fruitful; I now have three locking bonnet covers although I did have to strip down each lock and thoroughly clean it up and free it off, making sure that the tumblers were all free, finally I refitted the rotary coupling cover. I have had news on the operators seat which has had new cushions and covers fitted, hopefully I will have that back by next week so slowly but surely it is coming together.

Jeremy

Nick Drew

Post #165 by Nick Drew » Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:39 pm

Your doing a cracking job with her mate, great to see!!

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #166 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:50 pm

Once again there was a few jobs that needed ticking off my 'to do list' and as I am hoping that my seat cushions will be ready for my next trip to the machine, there is one job that needed doing in the cab first. The two steel arm rest holders had each cracked near to where they are fastened onto the operators seat, the two small pad cushions for these are yet to be obtained, although I am hoping that my seat cushion supplier will be able to get me a new pair.
I decided the best way would be a welded repair so after putting various bits of steel and wood into the cab to protect the interior from any sparks, plus having a good fire extinguisher to hand, I managed a half decent weld repair to both above and below each crack on both of the arms, once done I cleaned off the rust and painted them, they don't look great but as the two pad cushions will cover them, it will hide the rough surface where the rust was so I'm not too fussed about that.
The next job was to measure the tee catches for the left hand cover so I can get a new pair and fit them next time (hopefully) then I started to rub down the two 'gull wing' bonnet covers and the rear cover as I made a real mess of painting them, however this was better than leaving them red rusty, once these covers are done then I can get some decals put on the machine.

Jeremy

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #167 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:38 pm

It was a much more rewarding day today so far as work carried out on this machine is concerned; initially, this was not going to to be the case as I am still waiting for my refurbished seat cushions to come back, plus I had planned to get the bonnet covers spray painted but the weather was damp and drizzly in the morning and threatened to continue this way throughout the day.
So down to plan 'B' which was to spray paint the two foot pedals which operate the tracks with a galvanizing spray which I did get done although I forgot to photograph the finished articles :doh:
Next on the agenda was to replace the four 'tee key' style latches on the two side covers, the originals were crap, did not do their job and one was broken to boot so out came the angle grinder and I cut through the welds securing the old latches on, then fitted the new ones. I had considered welding these on but the metal on which they are secured was thick enough for me to drill and tap them so job done there. :thumbup:
Then the icing on the cake so as to speak; one of the lads who is restoring a truck up there has had it sign written and the gent who did this had come back to do a little bit more, so after getting him to quote me I asked him to sign write the counterweight each side with 'keep clear' and what a smashing job he has done there. :D

Jeremy

essexpete

Post #168 by essexpete » Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:11 pm

Looks the part Jeremy!

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #169 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:55 am

essexpete wrote:Looks the part Jeremy!

Pete she is slowly coming together; I really need to get the bonnet covers painted with a good finish (and I'm no expert painter) so I can get the decal man to come in and put the decals on it, once that's done there's just the seals in the rotary coupling and the odd job, just a few bits like the catches that I replaced yesterday and she will be done.
Then I guess I'm at a loss as to what to do next but more than likely I will spend a bit more time back on the 580BT, the cab needs tidying plus a few other jobs, one of the main problems that I am finding is that unless you are lucky enough to have somewhere undercover to keep them, you inevitably get that green moss like growth appearing on the paintwork and they soon look like crap again :| but that said I do try and keep my machines away from the trees there as I find that's where most of the greenery on the machines paintwork comes from.
One way or another I have plenty to go at and I could happily work for the next ten years or so restoring what I have got, I guess that in reality I have accomplished a lot considering that these machines are kept a long way from home and I only have one day a week (if I'm lucky) working on them. :thumbup:

Jeremy

v1230nm
Flag: Great Britain

Post #170 by v1230nm » Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:16 am

Jeremy, you are doing a great job with the limited time you have available. Looking forward to the next instalment and hopefully we will get to see it at Welland sometime.

Neil. (v1230nm)

Return to “Excavators”