Poclain 75 CKB

Discuss excavators here

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Re: Poclain 75 CKB

Post #151 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:47 am

essexpete wrote:I have had mixed results welding plastic, perhaps too hot and incompatible filler on occasion. I broke a piece of plastic moulding on a newish Ifor horse trailer. It is black and I used black CT1, seems strong but not exactly perfect finish. Have also used it on a couple of plastic mirror back plates on a tractor and tele handler.

From the above it would appear to be trial and error but I feel still a better way than trying to use adhesives in which I have never had much faith, I will give this type of repair another go in the future now I've had a dabble at it myself.

Jeremy

Slooby
Flag: Great Britain

Post #152 by Slooby » Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:37 pm

My dad and brother-in-law swear by CT1, they seem to be using it for bonding just about everything these days...some of it even found its way onto the JCB
CMN Stuff: MF65, Thwaites Nimline, JCB 3CX
Projects: S11a 88" V8 Hybrid, 2 x S111 109"s, Mk11 Mini, Harrison L5A :doh:
Ish projects: T25 Camper, ST675R
Just added: Alpine S5 & Bridgeport Mk2 :wtf:
Sorely Missed: Impreza, E39 M5

essexpete

Post #153 by essexpete » Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:43 pm

Slooby wrote:My dad and brother-in-law swear by CT1, they seem to be using it for bonding just about everything these days...some of it even found its way onto the JCB

Have used CT1 to stick the rear window in my wife's elderly TT roadster. Remains to be seen.

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #154 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:02 am

The plastic panel which had been repaired by plastic welding then painted was ready for refitting to the machine, my first job there was to secure the front of the new rubber floor mat which was duly done, then the heater panel was fitted and it looks okay, I may still yet fit some stainless steel mesh over the front of it to give it some added protection.
The rubber mat should really have been done last but I do tend to get impatient 8-) anyway I covered everything over and rubbed down the seat base, then gave it an undercoat and a topcoat, I just need the seat cushions for it now.
Quickly I moved across to the Hymac and started her up and gave her a good run up along with a bit of use, I don't like them standing too long without movement for obvious reasons.
I think once I have the seat cushions for the Poclain I may then try and paint the exterior a bit better as I'm not too happy with the quality of the red paint, once that's done I can get some decals on her and job more or less done.

Jeremy

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #155 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:41 pm

Well my work on this machine had all but come to a halt because I am waiting for somebody who reckons they have a pair of new seat cushions for the operators seat, and the weather was too dodgy to do any painting today. There was one job though which I knew I would need to look at which is that there is a cover door that fits on the front of the fuse box which had come adrift and needs refitting.
This door was at the bottom of the compartment next to the fuse box so I decided to get it out and take a look at refitting it, I had stored a few bits in there and was aware that it was not exactly a dry compartment, however once I removed the bits and bobs which I had in there the fuse box door was half submerged in water.
After I had fished everything out of there I realized exactly just how mucky it was in there so as time was no object I started to get rid of the muck in there which in the end turned out to be a few shovels full :o
I did my best to clean the compartment with soapy water, it really needs some de-greaser because the muck was oily waste it had protected the door and the bottom of the compartment from rust, unfortunately this compartment does hold water so I put a small drill hole through to prevent future build up. The fuse box cover door cleaned up okay but before I secure it back in place I will give it a quick paint.

Jeremy

MrF
Flag: France

Post #156 by MrF » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:50 pm

Progress is progress but enquiring minds want to know what the hedge cutters were for!

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #157 by Jeremy Rowland » Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:41 am

MrF wrote:Progress is progress but enquiring minds want to know what the hedge cutters were for!

:lol: Yes indeed well spotted Phil; one of my other projects up there was fast becoming a "Hedgerow hero" so a bit of chopping was required. :thumbup:

Jeremy

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #158 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:29 pm

Not too much to report from this visit; the main tasks completed was some tidying of the floor mat around the track drive operation pedals, and then onto the door which covers the main fuse box, I stripped off the door handle, and cleaned it up also removing the lock barrel which I will try and get replaced. Once I had rubbed down the door back to bare metal, it was primed then painted and finally fitted back securely, other things are being sorted, at this moment I have located the operators seat parts and am in the process of getting that sorted, that may finish the cab off for me? I will decided once it's all back together.

Jeremy

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #159 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:58 am

Warm enough? Indeed it was a hot day yesterday just like all of last week, perhaps ideal painting weather but not with a brush, the job on this weeks agenda was the steel cover plate which covers the machines rotary distributor. This cover plate and the engine housing cover that it bolts to are the last items that require painting on the outside of the digger, the plate is held on by M20 hex sets, three in all and they were tight, I borrowed a 3/4" drive socket and bar from Tony Wilson to undo them, fortunately the bottom two came out although I had to fix a jubilee clip to steady the socket bar and stop it from slipping off while I put full force on it. The last one simply turned its captive nut and I knew it was seized solid which left me with only one option and that was to use a slitting disc to cut through it, which I did.
Once the cover was off I took into Andrew's outside shed where I had some shelter from the heat and took it back to bare metal with flap discs, once done I then brush primed it and used an aerosol top coat for the inside of the cover, it is resting back in position at the moment. Now there is another reason for the cover to come off as there is one last fairly awkward job that requires doing which is the rotary distributor seals, but that will be tackled at a later date, interestingly if you look at the coupling. you can see that it has a large hole through its centre, this is for the rubber duck version the idea being that a bevel gear shaft takes the drive from the engine and gearbox through 90 degrees and through the middle of the coupling via a prop shaft to the drive axle.

Jeremy

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #160 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:07 pm

Progress has temporarily slowed with this machine, this is mainly down to me wanting the operators seat fitted back in it which is still away having the cushions replaced and today's issue was the weather which proved to be too windy to get done some of the jobs on my list. I decided to at least get two small jobs done, the first of which was that I had managed to get a pair of keys cut for the lock barrel that fits in the fuse box holder door, so blustery weather aside I did that and it works fine.
The next job was to get some topcoat paint onto the outside of the cover which I primed last week so I carried it into Andrew's workshop and painted it there. I then helped out Tim Brown and Graham to replace some worn parts of one of Andrew's plough's while the paint dried. Finally in the afternoon I bit the bullet and quickly linished the rust off the back of the front engine panel where the cover fits, the whole thing is not very clever so I filled it with glass fibre resin filler and left it to dry, once dry I did not have the time to rub it down so a quick coat of primer will hold back the rust until I get better weather to do a better job of it.
I managed to get replacement bolts to hold the cover back on the machine, which when I measured turned out to be the oddball size of M14, the cover panel is still resting in place much more work to do there yet before I fit it back on.

Jeremy

Return to “Excavators”