Poclain 75 CKB

Discuss excavators here

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Re: Poclain 75 CKB

Post #201 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:12 pm

There was that bitter/sweet moment today, I knew that I would get the job finished which was pleasing once all the hydraulic hoses were reconnected, then I turned my attention to the hydraulic oil tank which I cleaned out with clean rags prior to filling it with new oil.
When I tried her out I was happy that she tracked very well, although the two speed tracking does not work on the one track but I am pretty sure I know where the issue is with that, the bitter part was realizing that I still have an electrical problem with the machine, she was not charging :evil: oh well back to the drawing board on that one, but still a positive result, not many photos the hard work got in the way of taking them. :lol:

Jeremy

mechman
Flag: Great Britain

Post #202 by mechman » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:31 pm

A lot of horizontal graft ( on your back) going on there I presume?
Norm.

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #203 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:29 pm

mechman wrote:A lot of horizontal graft ( on your back) going on there I presume?
Norm.

With the pit I dug under the machine I could sit down but the issue was reaching up to the distributor; I found that working from the top was better for reaching some parts but there was still much that needed doing from under the machine.

Jeremy

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #204 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:37 pm

Okay a quick update here; I went up there today only to be faced by Christmas weather, a blizzard, so no work got done in the morning, so I helped Tony Wilson partially re-assemble a Perkins 6354 to enable it to be lifted out of the crawler that it is in because it has seen better days and Andrew has a better engine to put into the machine concerned. After lunch one of Tony's contacts who is a professional sparky arrived to help me out with the Poclain, to cut a long story short the charging issue was a simple fix, a loose lamp connection :thumbup: and the tracking issue looks like a dodgy solenoid which I had located on the machine but had no way to test it, so next week I will be having a crack at that with a bit of luck. :thumbup:

The machine tracks just fine especially now that I have done the rotary coupling seals, she was really struggling to move before, now she will just not counter-rotate, an issue that was also there before I took on the coupling seals, apparently these machines will not do that when they are stuck in fast track mode which is what is happening. The two-speed tracking is controlled by a solenoid, there are two side by side, we could hear the one clicking in and out fine under test but the other is not working. Sadly no photos this week except for the snow scene that greeted me today.

Jeremy

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #205 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:20 pm

I finally got to do a little more on her yesterday; the trouble is with crap weather and short days I find I don't get as much done as I would like, I decided that I would remove the suspect solenoid, this is the first time that I have ever taken one off and taken it apart, according to the sparky who checked it, it should still be okay but we could not hear it click open and shut like the other one.
These two solenoids are mounted behind the machines fuse box/electrical cabinet, not the easiest of access, you have to unbolt a cover under the machine and access them from there. To cut a long story short, I got the solenoid off and stripped the complete valve down, the only issue I found was the thumb by-pass on top of the solenoid was stuck so I freed it off, I checked it for correct function once done. By the time I had it back on the machine my daylight was gone so I did not have the opportunity to try it out, if it does not work correctly now, then I suspect the switch may be the issue, I am determined to sort this one way or another. :thumbup:

Jeremy

hair bear
Flag: Great Britain

Post #206 by hair bear » Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:37 pm

The vice looks like it could tell a few stories.
If a LandRover doesn't leak oil, it's run out.

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #207 by Jeremy Rowland » Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:11 am

hair bear wrote:The vice looks like it could tell a few stories.

Think some of the newness may just have worn off it. :lol:

Jeremy

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #208 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:27 pm

First visit of the new year which was cut rather shorter than I had intended due to crap weather; I have more or less eliminated the two solenoid valves from the track speed issue, however a few spots of fresh hydraulic oil on the one track let me know I had a leak to attend to. I decided to get the machine and the Hymac running, it had been very cold up there and the Poclain struggled a bit but once she was away she ran okay; the 580BT was a more difficult issue, I think the battery has now seen better days but even after a charge it took two attempts to coax her into life. That was after I had removed the battery from the machine and charged it up, initially the battery was temporarily frozen to the battery box steel base, I cleaned the base out and used some of the spare cab rubber matting to make a better surface for the battery to sit on.
Looking underneath the Poclain I quickly located the leaking hose and took it off to bring home for a sample, I plugged the two holes off to prevent leakage and muck from getting in. Must say it took me the best part of half an hour to get into both machines as the locks had frozen up, anyway I came away feeling that I had accomplished something.

Jeremy

essexpete

Post #209 by essexpete » Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:35 am

Looking good Jeremy. I think we have commented on your tenacity before. Contrast to my old 814, which is quite a tidy old machine to look at but leaks just about everywhere it can.

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #210 by Jeremy Rowland » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:15 am

Got the replacement hydraulic hose fitted no problem, then another small issue raised its head; the machine started to 'die' under load, although the fuel level wasn't too low I topped it up and then did another job which I had been intending to do for sometime now, I changed the fuel filter and cleaned out the gauze in the top of the lift pump. Job done all okay now on that front, there was a bit of muck in the top of the fuel filter, but I know that the tank is okay as a few years ago I did quickly pop the drain bung out of the bottom of the fuel tank and only clean fuel came out, no water muck or other contaminants. The fuel filter is accessed via a small hatch under the machine, it's a tight squeeze in there and I ended up with a face full of diesel :x :lol:

I am still trying to get the small track drive issue sorted, the machine does work fine without it but I am a stickler for detail, I could really use a workshop manual for this machine but they are like 'rocking horse sh*t' to get hold of, anyway I started the hard way by tracing the hydraulic pipework on the machine and labeling the spool valves and service lines etc.

Jeremy

Return to “Excavators”