Poclain 75 CKB

Discuss excavators here

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Re: Poclain 75 CKB

Post #141 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:50 pm

Today was a bit wet to start with, to be fair as I was not intending on doing any external painting I was not sorry. First on the agenda was to give a quick top coat spray to the cab lining mounting along the right hand side of the cab which I had cleaned the rust off the last time and primed. While that was drying I re-installed the windscreen washer jet which I had taken home to clean out, after that the back of the cab floor was cleaned ready for me to install the cab lining.
There is a small plastic panel which I first painted then came the struggle to fit the new lining material onto the old plastic panel, unfortunately this does not look the best of jobs but the plastic that holds the lining material has warped over the years, anyway after a long struggle it was fitted. Next was to refit the switch cluster and finally I put the newly lined rear panel back in and fitted a new washer bottle and motor, the motor is pumping the correct way but no joy in getting the washer to squirt so back to the drawing board on that one, I still came away happy that I had made some progress so the day wasn't wasted.

Jeremy

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #142 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:28 pm

Well very nearly rained off today; but I did managed to get a bit more of the cab sorted, I first refitted the coat hook which I took home with me, rubbed down, cleaned it then painted it. Next on the list was to remove the cab seat base cushion which is in a dreadful condition, many of the M8 pins snapped off and the steel base is rotten through, I did clean up the underneath and will hopefully spray paint it before fitting any new cushions.
Then perhaps jumping the gun a bit I fitted a new rubber mat in the front part of the cab, the glue is still drying and I have placed plenty of weight on it to hold it down while the glue dries, I will glue the front part on my next visit all being well.

Jeremy

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #143 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:20 pm

During my last visit I decided to temporarily refit the heater grill cover which I had already taken home, cleaned, glue repaired and then painted. I had wanted to see what the finished article looked like; now as stated many times before this restoration is not intended to make the machine look like showroom condition, however I was most displeased with the result of my repair to this cover. :thumbdown:

The trouble is that plastic is one of these materials that is virtually impossible to repair properly and gluing does not work despite various manufacturers claims, I had tried Gorilla glue and super glue, forget it as this just does not work! :x The answer just has to be a welded repair! :idea:

"Welded repair" I hear you say, "it's not April the first you know" ;) Yes this was something that I had come across years ago in an old motorcycle rag where bikers were sick of paying out extortionate sums for plastic motorbike fairing bits, so some smarty came up with the idea of welding the plastic together. This is simply accomplished by using a soldering iron to heat up the plastic and using a plastic filler rod; the filler rod was no issue for me as I simply used and old Airfix model kit sprue and so I made my first attempt. :think:

For me the result appears to be be 100% although the excess material will need filing off and then I will need to repaint the finished grill again; it's quite easy to do and I'd guess you would get good at it if you practiced for long enough, anyway I'm happy with the results. :thumbup: I will post more photo's once the grill has been filed and repainted, I must say it feels like a much more substantial repair than gluing which does not work.

Jeremy

v1230nm
Flag: Great Britain

Post #144 by v1230nm » Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:53 pm

It looks like you have a good solution there Jeremy.

Neil (v1230nm)

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #145 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:08 pm

v1230nm wrote:It looks like you have a good solution there Jeremy.

Neil (v1230nm)

It had got to be worth a crack!

Jeremy

MrF
Flag: France

Post #146 by MrF » Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:15 pm

I have spent many hours sewing motorcyle farings and panels back together with a soldering gun and sawn up bits of other farings as filler rod, it works but its not as strong as a solid part in the long term. But that doesn't really matter for this application I think, unless your going to be jumping in with a big pair of boots and kick it with a heel by accident. Seems a fragile place to put a plastic abs grille in the operator kick zone by poclain themselves...
f you ever need to sew a big panel together in future, you can get plastic stapling kits now for cheap, they just have a bent wire staple that melts into the repair with what is a adapted soldering gun, and you leave the staple embedded for more mechanical strength in the repair. I've done car bumpers like this after a few deer incidents and had the repair hold up for years until the car was sold/moved on. Every region of amazon has them from the same factory in china no doubt, eg :- https://www.amazon.fr/Soudeuse-plastiqu ... 08YYZFSQ4/

Slooby

Post #147 by Slooby » Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:01 am

Like Phil I've been using a soldering iron to make repairs to all sorts of plastic bits for quite a while, like MIG and TIG welding it's important to have the piece you're repairing good and clean, especially if it's a crack, and your filler rod to be the same material.

I've got access to a proper hot air welder down here as it's used for bonding colour strips to Polyethylene cutting boards by my dad/brother-in-law's business, but it's not something you use on fine detail work. With a spreading crack I tend to drill a small hole at the closed end of it just incase it tries to spread while I am welding, I also v slot the crack on the back side on thicker plastics to let the filler rod in and get deeper weld penetration, like welding thick metal.

I'm toying with getting one of the 'staple' type tools myself, as I like the idea of letting in the reinforcement tags on cracks to help 'stitch' the pieces together
CMN Stuff: MF65, Thwaites Nimline, JCB 3CX
Projects: S11a 88" V8 Hybrid, 2 x S111 109"s, Mk11 Mini, Harrison L5A :doh:
Ish projects: T25 Camper, ST675R
Just added: Alpine S5 & Bridgeport Mk2 :wtf:
Sorely Missed: Impreza, E39 M5

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #148 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:21 am

Thanks gents :thumbup: yes Phil I agree it is a daft material to use when you consider its location, and I have seen photos of this same panel completely destroyed on other machines, so I may also fit a stainless steel grill in front of this to try and give it some added protection as I can be a bit clod footed.

Jeremy

hair bear

Post #149 by hair bear » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:15 pm

Discarded zip tie tails are good for fill rod.
If a LandRover doesn't leak oil, it's run out.

essexpete

Post #150 by essexpete » Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:48 am

I have had mixed results welding plastic, perhaps too hot and incompatible filler on occasion. I broke a piece of plastic moulding on a newish Ifor horse trailer. It is black and I used black CT1, seems strong but not exactly perfect finish. Have also used it on a couple of plastic mirror back plates on a tractor and tele handler.

Return to “Excavators”