Poclain 75 CKB

Discuss excavators here

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Re: Poclain 75 CKB

Post #51 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:34 pm

With the turn of the weather and my annual holiday allowance having now run out plus the inevitable march towards Christmas I have not had as much time to visit my machines as I would have liked; I did manage one last weekday trip, this last Thursday and as the weather was so poor I found myself sat in the Poclain cab trying to sort some of the electrics out and I make no secret that I not good at electrics :?

Well as you can see from the photos I finally got the glass in the cab, I have been waiting for quite a while for the lad who does this get it sorted for me and am now waiting for him to get the 'kick' screen done on the Hymac and change some glass rubbers for me on that machine.

I did manage to get one of the dowels fitted to the slew gearbox that I got made up at work and fixed the one light on the boom hoist ram, the other light is just a shell, the cab heater works too :o and I even got the internal cab light to work after a fashion. Trouble is standing a machine for ten years in damp conditions does not do the electrics any good at all, at least there is still some progress. :thumbup:

Jeremy

essexpete

Post #52 by essexpete » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:28 am

I might swap my 814 for that! :)

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #53 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:08 am

essexpete wrote:I might swap my 814 for that! :)

:lol: :lol: Its not that good yet Pete :lol: but getting there slowly. :thumbup:

Jeremy

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #54 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:27 pm

At last I managed to get up to my machines for the first time this year :) there is one job on the Poclain that has needed doing since I first bought it and that is the leaking dipper arm piston seal, it has gradually got worse and was dripping even when the engine was idling so it was time to get it sorted.
I have never stripped a ram before so this is a first for me; all the cap heads came out easily bar one, sods law but after a bit of aggro I finally got it out, Tim Brown drove Andrews JCB Telehandler for me when I came to remove it and also gave me a hand to get the ram moving, the photos tell the tale, just need the seals now, then put it back together, as I pulled the piston out of the cylinder tube the odd gallon or two of hydraulic oil belched out but I had expected that, one thing I did not expect was a brief snow shower which threatened to end my sortie but waiting for it to pass over paid dividends. :thumbup:

Jeremy

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #55 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:58 pm

I got another Thursday booked off work; Andrew informed me that the seals would be ready for collection from a hydraulics supplier in Hull who were very helpful, it was 2'o'clock by the time the seals were with me and I ensured that everything was meticulously clean before I put it back together.
With the seals on the rod the harder part began but with help from John Herbert who helped me push the piston back into the cylinder while Andrew operated his tele-handler the job was done, I was desperate to get this done today because I had left the end of the bucket cylinder rod in the small hole that I had excavated to make reaching the dipper arm cylinder easier and if it had rained heavily it's not good to leave bits submerged in water.
Anyway another job done off the list; this one should be ready for the working event at the end of the month (Sunday 24th Feb) it will leave me time to start more work on the Hymac which I got running today for the first time in a couple of months. It was dark by the time I had finally finished today hence the poor quality of the last photo!

Jeremy

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #56 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:36 pm

Not a good day for it; well initially anyway, it was raining rather heavily when I got there :( but that permitted me to have a play and check that the ram seal was good, thankfully it was :thumbup: not that I had expected it to leak, anyway I had finally managed to get hold of a hydraulic oil filter so once the wet stuff had stopped I got the said filter changed and the hydraulic oil topped up.
Removing the cover for the filter was a bit of a pig to say the least; somebody had half rounded off the nut atop of it, once again a first class idea NOT! it's a cast iron lid on an aluminium housing :roll: yes I could see where a previous owner had taken a chisel or some similar object to it in the past.
Having tried to shift it once before and failed I took the "Brummie screwdriver" to it then forced an 1 1/2" spanner onto what was left of the hex nut which had originally been 39mm (1 1/2" is 38.10mm) finally after some persuasion with the hammer against the spanner it ceded and I was able to change the filter and top up the oil. :thumbup:
I did clean off the underside of the cast iron cover and put plenty of grease on it when I fitted back together job done. :thumbup:

Jeremy

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #57 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:56 am

During my last two visits to the digger I found myself patching up the hole that had rotted in the bottom of the cab door; I make no secret of the fact that the repair from the outside of the machine leaves much to be desired but my time and daylight were rapidly vanishing so once the plate had been welded into place I quickly mixed some filler and applied it. I managed to get two coats of paint onto the door I could not leave bare metal exposed to the elements; during this Saturday's visit I got the inside painted, once again not a great job but offering more protection.

The Poclain was ready for action on the day of the working event I have posted two pictures of Andrew Sellers at the controls, with the exception of a slight leak from the bucket ram she performed very well on the day so I am feeling a bit better about the machine now. :thumbup:

Jeremy

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #58 by Jeremy Rowland » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:26 am

Here's a short YouTube clip of the Poclain in action. :thumbup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSAUhCHAPPM

Jeremy

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #59 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:57 pm

Yesterday I took my friend Helena and her three kids to Whitby for the day :thumbup: on the way back I went via Andrew's farm as I had promised the kids a go on one of my diggers. The best operator turned out to be the eldest Scarlett who is 14 :thumbup: I had to supervise the youngest who is 9, they all had a good time needless to say, although it was just before 11.00 in the evening when I dropped them all back home.
I am trying to encourage some enthusiasm in our hobby among the younger generation. :thumbup:

Jeremy

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #60 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:40 pm

The Poclain performed faultlessly at Andrew's recent working event; I managed to get up to my machines last Thursday but with no real plan in mind, there are jobs that require doing and one of the next on the list for this machine is to repair the leaking bucket ram seal, the reason I did not get stuck in with any big jobs on any of my machines is that with the current situation involving corona virus I did not want to get a large part of a machine stripped only to find that due to any possible lockdown I could not get back up to finish the job in a reasonable time.

After the working events I generally find I need to clean down and tidy the machines and as the last working event albeit was a success, it was also a mud bath, the Poclain had been left standing in mud and a pool of water so I wanted to shift her out of that and clean the mud off the undercarriage which takes some time to clean. If you look at the photos you can see that the steel pipes which feed the track drive hydraulic motors and brakes are exposed due to what I assume is the two covers that have been taken off and left off by some previous owner. I cleaned the mud from behind these the best that I could, I have arrowed where the cover plates would fit, guess I will need to get a couple knocked up at work.

Jeremy

Return to “Excavators”