Hitachi EX27U info required

Discuss excavators here

Topic author
le.maisonniau
Flag: France

Hitachi EX27U info required

Post #1 by le.maisonniau » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:40 pm

Hi Guys,

I have eventually found a new (to me) m/c to play with after reluctantly selling my 3CX sitemaster. I now have a Hitachi EX27U approx year is 2004.
I have the serial number, but cannot find the year of make, apparently this is common with Hitachi's.
I dont have any manual's Operators, Workshop, Parts or otherwise, so I have a couple of questions you guru's should be able to help me with to get me going till I find some paperwork. :bow:

1: On the control panel/key pad. there are 2 press buttons which switch on lights, the one in the middle (near key) puts on the worklight located LHS at bottom of cab. the other one (taped over) works, such as the little green LED comes on or off when pressed, there is cablage to a bolt on the boom, so I am guessing this switch would work a boom light? :thumbup:

2: Still on the control panel, the hour meter reads 3221.6 and is incrementing OK, on the left of that is a symbol not unlike an "egg timer" - this is flashing all the time :insomnia: (bit worrying) The water temp is OK, it increases with engine in use, and fuel bar-guage appears OK. Can someone tell me what the egg-timer is :thumbup:

3: Fluids: With all rams closed up, the level indicator is halfway between the bottom indicator (of two blue lines in the middle of a glass) and bottom of said indicator, with rams openend up, the hydro level disapears!! So I defo need to add hydro oil, can someone confirm that with all rams closed I should fill to middle of the indicator? :mrgreen:

4: Expansion vessel on the rad is empty, rad is full to brim (clear water) - is this a problem?

I intend to clean the m/c completely first and then give it a full service, i.e Engine oil/filter, fuel tank drained out and new fuel filter, Air filters and most important Hydraulic filter (the interval for this is 4000 hrs - so close to the mark)

I have a squeak/ squeal on one of the tracks but will get to this later, unless someone thinks it should be looked at soon, it travels OK, though not impressed with the hi-speed :?

Body work is very good apart from one damaged panel that covers the fuel tank and filler, happy to fit a new one if I can get one or a clean one from a breakers.

Pipe work is 95% good, some metal pipes need brackets re-alligning, there are no leaks on pipes or seals, so happy here, only issue is one of the "pecker" pipe ends is not there and has been plugged with a 1inch end-stop.

That's enough for now, happy to be back on the forum with something to talk about :rockon:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When you come to a fork in the road - take it :dizzy:

Jeremy Rowland

Re: Hitachi EX27U info required

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:34 am

Hi John that looks a lovely machine that you have found for yourself :thumbup: to be fair I know nothing about these little Hitachi's except that generally Hitachi is held in high regards; I would guess that the little 'egg timer' light must be some kind of service warning light similar to what is found on many modern cars and is little more than a bloody nuisance, unfortunately even once you have serviced the machine yourself the light is highly unlikely to go out without first being plugged into a laptop?
I would do a Google search to see if you can find out anything or hopefully someone on here may be able to confirm what it is. :thumbup:

Jeremy

Topic author
le.maisonniau

Post #3 by le.maisonniau » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:07 am

Hi Jeremy,
Aye, I spend many hours Googling etc, whilst t'other half is soaking up soaps :)
I have found an image of the "egg timer" on a similar model (Hitachi Z-axis 30/35/40) this shows a layout very similar to mine, but with only 1 light switch. (Manaul was on CMN's d/l pages :D )
The manual shows the display with the egg-timer in the same location, but nothing what so ever in the description that follows to say what the egg-timer function is!! the manual is quite comprehensive, in that it describes how to reset the fuel guage bars if they are displaying incorrectly etc. :dizzy:
I am sure I will find something soon, what really grips me these days is all the rubbish links and sites that are just there for scamming and waste loads of time. :arrrrgh:
Thanks again. :thumbup:

Gerard

Post #4 by Gerard » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:17 pm

if i get a chance I will have a look tomorrow, I think they are the same as some Airman made at that time too, though I think I remember a different engine, no3 for hydraulic oil level I think boom down, arm fully extended, bucket curled in and blade set on ground, check when cold. no4 is probably better to use coolant in the system as there is anticorrosion agent

Topic author
le.maisonniau

Post #5 by le.maisonniau » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:16 pm

My egg timer !!
Apparently the 'egg timer' flashing is just a heart-beat for the hours meter, I still cannot find any mention in any manuals. :|
I am taking the tracks off this weekend to check all rollers (10) and track idler/tensioners and the RH side drive wheel which is the one that I believe is squeaking/squealing, hopefully just a stone lodged in there :lol:

Already cleaned out the diesel tank & filters and checked the pump, all working OK.

Currently making a list of parts (filters etc.) for the grand overhaul before it gets put to serious use. Any tips on what else to look for, especially when the tracks are off would be useful guys :thumbup:

Topic author
le.maisonniau

Post #6 by le.maisonniau » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:25 pm

Update:
Well, Stripped the m/c undercarriage down today, think I have found my "squeak" one of the eight bottom rollers was well trashed, surprisingly all the others are in top nick.
The duff one was the roller immediately behind the drive gear - I think it best to replace that and the one opposite to have a balanced pair?
Top rollers are a little shaky - as there are only two, I will change both.

I am a bit concerned about the idler rollers, but will start a fresh topic with pics for that.

Cheers :wave:

Return to “Excavators”