How do i remove the steering ram on a jcb 3cx not sure what mrk/model. Any help will be great

Discuss excavators here

Topic author
Eric58
Flag: Great Britain

How do i remove the steering ram on a jcb 3cx not sure what mrk/model. Any help will be great

Post #1 by Eric58 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:24 pm

:arrrrgh:

AJ.
Flag: Great Britain

Re: How do i remove the steering ram on a jcb 3cx not sure what mrk/model. Any help will be great

Post #2 by AJ. » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:11 pm

Undo the two hoses and cap them to prevent oil loss,remove the pin from the rod eye and then the one from the cylinder end,lift the unit out,if you are removing it to reseal you only need to remove the hoses and the pin from the rod end,take the wheel off out of the way,put something under the other wheel and lower it so the other end of the axle goes down,pull the rod end out to you,clean the end,even though the gland has a hexagon head it is NOT threaded into the cylinder,look about 13/14 mm from the top of the cylinder you will find a slot,within the slot there is a wire lock,you have to find the end of the wire by turning the hexagon round,when you find the end prise it up and turn the hexagon so the wire will be pushed out of the groove,the wire is bent 90° at the end going into a hole in the gland,pull it straight out,now you can pull the rod out of the cylinder,take off the piston and then the gland,note the way all the seals are fitted and remove them,clean everything including you hands and tools,fit the new seals use plenty of hydraulic oil to lubricate the seals,put the rod back in the cylinder,turn the gland till the hole for the wire is in the slot.but the wire in the hole and turn the gland till it is home proper,put the pin in the rod eye,connect the hoses,put the wheel back on,start the engine and turn the steering wheel several times back and forth to expel any air from the cylinder,lower the machine and test it,top up the hydraulic oil,job done.
AJ

Return to “Excavators”