JCB 8018 CTS Mini Excavator Fluids Alternatives - New to Mini's Help & Pointers?

Discuss excavators here

Topic author
cloves2016
Flag: United States of America

JCB 8018 CTS Mini Excavator Fluids Alternatives - New to Mini's Help & Pointers?

Post #1 by cloves2016 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:22 pm

Hi all, Glad I came across this forum. New to construction equipment but not new to cars.

I just picked up a JCB 8018cts (Perkins engine) mini excavator with a little under 1000 hours. I am currently going through the JCB service manual and reviewing and doing all the services. Hoping to get some feedback from other DIYers and techs on here if possible.

Went to a JCB dealership thinking I could pick up the recommended OEM fluids and got some oem but got alternatives for the others which I thought was a bit odd, but so long as they work :think:

Fluids from the manual:

1. Fuel Tank 23.5 (5.2) Diesel Oil - Fuel: ASTM D975-076 2-D, US DF1, US DF2, US DFA: Is this regular diesel available at any gas station?

2. Engine (Oil) lists 2 JCB 10W/30 Multigrade (above -15°C (above 5°F)) MIL-L-46152, API CC/SF & 5W/20 (-15°C to -25°C (5°F to 13°F)) API CC/SE (recommended)
- Since I am located in NJ thinking of running synthetic Rotella T-5 15w40. Thoughts on synthetic oil?

3. Track Gearbox - JCB SAE 30 Engine Oil (Not Multigrade) -
- Dealer told me to use regular oil but to stick with the recommended weight

4. Track Idler Wheels & Track Rollers (bottom) - JCB HD90 Gear oil (API-GL-5, MIL-L-2105D)
- Dealer sold me jcb gear oil (5gall)

5. Hydraulic System - JCB Special Hydraulic Fluid (Up to 30°C (86°F) OR JCB Hydraulic Fluid 46 (Over 30°C (86°F)
- Dealer told me I could go to napa and pick up small quantities of equivalent hydraulic fluid and he said to use 46 weight

6. Slew Ring Bears - JCB MPL Grease (Lithium based no 2 consistency)
- Dealer gave me Altra Rugged Red LC EP 2, which spec wise looks right after checking

7. Slew Ring Gear Teeth - JCB SLew Pinion Grease
- Dealer sold me Gear Shield Extra Heavy Spray cans. Said to clean any huge gunks of grease in there but not to go crazy and then just spray this stuff on there and rotate the unit and do it again.

So now I just stared to check levels of the fluid. First issue I see is the machine is parked and the eye hole for the hydraulic fluid is full and not at the half way point as the manual says it should be. Machine is off and cold. I opened the top for the fluid and a bunch started to flow out the top of the lid. Could the shop where I purchased the unit overfilled it or am I incorrectly checking the fluid? Manual doesn't mention anything about how to have the boom etc so I just have it on the ground and a normal length.
Last edited by cloves2016 on Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
cloves2016

Re: JCB 8018 CTS Mini Excavator Fluids Alternatives - New to Mini's Help & Pointers?

Post #2 by cloves2016 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:26 pm

So I opened the hood on the left side I see a leg which I assume is a safety to keep the hood from slamming back down. I couldn't figure out where exactly the heck is goes, and its not in the service manual. See how the bottom wants to connect to something? Any ideas?

Original URL: http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g218/fcastro75/FORUMS/FORUM%20-%20HEAVY%20EQUIPMENT/IMAG1225.jpg

Shot of some fluid burning on the the exhaust. I believe this is fluid coming from above.

This is what is above.
Original URL: http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g218/fcastro75/FORUMS/FORUM%20-%20HEAVY%20EQUIPMENT/IMAG1228.jpg

Wireloom to close to engine. I also see some fluid on the engine again I wiped and didn't smell anything assume its hyrdraulic and engine oil.

hair bear
Flag: Great Britain

Re: JCB 8018 CTS Mini Excavator Fluids Alternatives - New to Mini's Help & Pointers?

Post #3 by hair bear » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:57 pm

Hi Dan, welcome along.
Can't really help you myself but I'm sure someone will show up shortly with some answers.
Just my opinion, diesel would be regular diesel, and the oil specs should be able to cross reference between JCB and local supplies.
It does seem odd that points 6 and 7 are the same JCB grease, yet your dealer recommended 2 different products!
Enjoy your first toy, I say first as once you have one they do tend to accumulate. Next you'll need a little dumper, and maybe a dozer, and then... and... !
Rob.
If a LandRover doesn't leak oil, it's run out.

Topic author
cloves2016

Post #4 by cloves2016 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:24 am

hair bear wrote:Hi Dan, welcome along.
Can't really help you myself but I'm sure someone will show up shortly with some answers.
Just my opinion, diesel would be regular diesel, and the oil specs should be able to cross reference between JCB and local supplies.
It does seem odd that points 6 and 7 are the same JCB grease, yet your dealer recommended 2 different products!
Enjoy your first toy, I say first as once you have one they do tend to accumulate. Next you'll need a little dumper, and maybe a dozer, and then... and... !
Rob.

Thanks Rob! I just realized I made a slight mistake in the specs on 6 and 7, which I have fixed in the the first thread now. :doh:

This is my first diesel engine ever. Do diesels normally run this rough or am I having some issues with the engine. Just under 1000 hours on this unit, and it has a perkins GJ 403D-11 (Tier 3)

Tried embedding the video but wouldn't work, but here is the youtube link. Engine sure does seem to run rough to me.
https://youtu.be/SwUX3UZAUow

essexpete

Post #5 by essexpete » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:03 pm

My 8018 always wants to pee out oil from somewhere (at about 1500 hrs). I have been pleased with the machine in some ways, good reach, fairly quick and precise to drive. Like the extending tracks and reduced swing of some earlier machines i have had. The down side? Just not as well built as my previous and more worn out Yanmar. Not in the league of Takeuchi of Kubota either by all accounts. I note that a lot of the pins appear to be 25mm rather than 30mm.
With regard to the oil in the track final drive I would think you should use an oil with additives for oil immersed brakes.
Make sure the rad core is kept clean in dusty conditions as they can over heat quickly.
You say the engine is running rough? How do you mean? Probably worth changing oil and oil and fuel filters and check the air cleaner. The engine does need a little heat to start and in a colder climate no doubt a little more than I am used to.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #6 by Jeremy Rowland » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:16 pm

Hi Dan and welcome to CMN :wave: I suspect that your diggers hydraulic fluid may be at the correct level; I seem to recall somewhere that when checking the level the machine should have the rams half way in but I am not 100% on that, also I am assuming here that any hydraulic system would have a safety valve to prevent the system from 'bursting' if it is over filled, I think if it was you would have known by now. Best of luck with it. :thumbup:

Jeremy

Topic author
cloves2016

Post #7 by cloves2016 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:40 am

Thanks for all the replies so far fellas! :bow:

essexpete wrote:My 8018 always wants to pee out oil from somewhere (at about 1500 hrs). I have been pleased with the machine in some ways, good reach, fairly quick and precise to drive. Like the extending tracks and reduced swing of some earlier machines i have had. The down side? Just not as well built as my previous and more worn out Yanmar. Not in the league of Takeuchi of Kubota either by all accounts. I note that a lot of the pins appear to be 25mm rather than 30mm.

With regard to the oil in the track final drive I would think you should use an oil with additives for oil immersed brakes.
Make sure the rad core is kept clean in dusty conditions as they can over heat quickly.
You say the engine is running rough? How do you mean? Probably worth changing oil and oil and fuel filters and check the air cleaner. The engine does need a little heat to start and in a colder climate no doubt a little more than I am used to.

Thanks for this little tidbit of history on your machine! Have you been able to locate the leaks or are they so small that you really can't? I ran my machine for 15 minutes or so with the cab up, I couldn't locate any. But I am pretty sure all the shiny stuff on the machine is hydraulic fluid.

The company I purchased the machine from just changed the oil filter, the sentiment/fuel filter, and the air filter. I will be cleaning out the radiator as you mentioned. I was going to do it today but it was pretty cold here 20f fingers froze trying to grease my joint zergs. I had a few zerg that didn't take grease so I am going to have to figure out how to get that done.

Here are a few more videos of the engine running. When the machine starts I see a bit of white smoke for about 20 seconds which I was told was normal. After about 2-3 minutes I can vaguely see a bit of smoke if I look hard. This is my first diesel machine so I am not sure if its normal or my Perkins engine is starting to show some problems. I see a lot of engine vibration. Is this how your machine runs as well essexpete?

These are youtube video links below?:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx8luGPlCPs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0_YR9rBP60
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwUX3UZAUow

I work on cars and have never seen an engine have this much vibration and this is why I was a bit curious. Since you own one it would be great to see if your machine is the same. Engine is GJ71067U which I believe is a Perkins 403D-11

Jeremy Rowland wrote:Hi Dan and welcome to CMN :wave: I suspect that your diggers hydraulic fluid may be at the correct level; I seem to recall somewhere that when checking the level the machine should have the rams half way in but I am not 100% on that, also I am assuming here that any hydraulic system would have a safety valve to prevent the system from 'bursting' if it is over filled, I think if it was you would have known by now. Best of luck with it. :thumbup:

Jeremy

The JCB manual doesn't mention that. Here is the page from the service manual.

essexpete

Post #8 by essexpete » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:28 am

Well you have one better than me - a service/ops manual. I know the hydraulic tank holds just north of FA. One of my leaks was on a low pressure pipe related to the slew and annoyingly it continued to drain when stood. then another pipe worked undone in a similar area. Not difficult to raise the platform but a fiddle and mine will not go back to fit the large bolts without pulling the frame with a ratchet strap. It still has a leak from somewhere. The other stupid thing I managed was a quick oil change without dropping the sump guard. Used the suction pump down the dip tube and duly lost the small bore pipe in said tube. F8kk F%kk F*kkerty F^kk.

Just looked at the vids I think the vibration is fairly normal with these little engines on rubber mounts. Does not appear to smoke that much?

Topic author
cloves2016

Post #9 by cloves2016 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:26 am

I have the Service Parts Pro application and the manuals. I can print one page at a time but not the output the whole manual. If you ever need something just let me know.

Doesn't your machine have the drain plug for the engine oil at the bottom? The one thing on this machine that looks easy is draining the oil. Inserting the oil filter looks like a real pain since the space is tight on the side. I also looked at the manual and it shows some sort of male screw at the filters end.

Ok I thought the vibration was a bit high but since you own as well now I feel a bit more at ease. I'll be keeping an eye on the smoke issue. Its not that much and I have yet to run the machine for any fair amount of work. Hopefully once the machine is at full operating temperature engine will not smoke any.

Return to “Excavators”