Right then back to the 580BT; ahem! as per usual things did not go to plan and the bits for the Poclain were not ready for collection, plus I am in the process of fitting a starter motor to the Ruston (but that's another longer story)
Anyhow I decided it was time to tackle a small but irritating job on the Hy-mac which had been bugging me since I first bought the machine, the engine block drain tap has a slight leak.
I had purchased a new tap that was left in my toolbox ready for the task at hand so after finding a suitably clean plastic bucket and watering can I set about draining the engine coolant. The tap came out no problem whatsoever; but of course it's never that simple is it?
I applied some PTFE tape to the new taps thread and fitted it, not over tightening it.
Right, puts the coolant back in and I then find the tap is slowly dripping from the thread
oh well; I drain the coolant now for the second time
and take out the tap, to be fair PTFE tape can 'bunch up' so Andrew kindly let me have a drop of his thread sealing compound. After waiting endlessly for the last drips of coolant to disappear so I could dry the internal thread, I applied the compound and refitted the tap, great I think as I pour the coolant back in. This time though I had the sense not to refill the cooling system but just put a drop in; good job too as it was still dripping although not as badly.
By now my patience was starting to wear rather thin as I contemplated my options; solution was found but not what I had wanted, I stuck a plug in there, no leaks now thank goodness.
I forgot to mention that I had checked the engine oil level and am now happy that she is not putting any diesel in the engine oil so that's a bonus.
I did run her up to working temperature to check that the bung was not leaking any coolant which thankfully it wasn't.