Hymac 580BT 1969

Discuss excavators here

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Hymac 580BT 1969

Post #1 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:13 pm

This one is mine! Of course I am an avid Hymac fan and always have been, so buying my own machine to preserve has always been on the 'wish list' so as to speak. The biggest issue for me was not having a place to keep such a machine so the first person I really need to thank here is Andrew Beaulah who was more than happy for me to keep my machine in the vast collection of machines on his farm near Hull. :bow: :thumbup:
Thanks also to Clive Gray 'Bigkit' who moved the machine from its home down South up to Hull. :bow: :thumbup:

The said Hymac was the ninth machine off the production line in the first quarter of 1969 she works fine but has all the issues that you would expect to find with an older digger so I have my work cut out; it goes without saying that although I will enjoy getting some 'seat time' I also intend a slow but progressive restoration. Guess I need to get my 'butt' into action then and its ironic that I never envisaged taking up the spanners again; I must be mad! :dizzy: :lol:

Jeremy

topkit
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Hymac 580BT 1969

Post #2 by topkit » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:26 pm

Nice one Jeremy, the problem is it's infectious, thats why i enjoy buying and tidyng my backhoe loaders up. I am loving the backfilling blade on it too, It reminds me when we lived in a new build In East Grinstead we were the second people to move in and houses were still being built around us, One afternoon a wimpy Orange hymac 580C with backfill blade came and levelled our back garden of (it was sheer heavan for a 14 year old digger mad boy) Good on ya Clive for delivering the machine too. Can't wait for more pictures showing progress made :thumbup:

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #3 by Jeremy Rowland » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:09 am

Thanks David :thumbup: I suppose there won't be much visual difference until I can eventually and hopefully get it painted but all the tidying up comes first. The first few jobs have already been done; the hydraulic oil has been topped up after a leak from a steel pipe, antifreeze topped up and the cab now has a front window too, it took me a couple of hours just to get all the moss and embedded crap from off the cab glass oh well all good fun.
Not too sure when I will next get up to see her but some parts are required before I do, just hope the weather stays okay for this time of year, it makes all the difference.

Jeremy

topkit

Post #4 by topkit » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:56 pm

Always good to get the cab weatherproof before winter sets in, your machine looks to have good tracks, are the Sprokets and rollers all ok too, I came across an old 580 today looks like it could be a scrapper, It on the Crawley Down to Horley road just past Haskins Garden Centre, The owner obviously hoards stuff as there are bits of tractors in the field too at one point there was an old JCB 2B in there, its been there for years and i always like to have a look when i pass by.

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #5 by Jeremy Rowland » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:38 pm

topkit wrote:Always good to get the cab weatherproof before winter sets in, your machine looks to have good tracks, are the Sprokets and rollers all ok too, I came across an old 580 today looks like it could be a scrapper, It on the Crawley Down to Horley road just past Haskins Garden Centre, The owner obviously hoards stuff as there are bits of tractors in the field too at one point there was an old JCB 2B in there, its been there for years and i always like to have a look when i pass by.

David the tracks are not in bad condition although some of the rollers need attention because she has stood for the last couple of years, the drive sprockets are worn too but I don't see me tracking very far with it, the cab too requires attention which is no great surprise but I did take the precaution of buying a tarpaulin sheet to cover the cab front the ravages of the winter. Andrew Beaulah uses a local fabrication company for certain bits for his preserved plant so I will try and get a new cab roof fabricated and fitted as and when the time and opportunity present themselves. :thumbup:

Jeremy

tctractors

Post #6 by tctractors » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:43 pm

Wow J.R. what have you done?? copping a swinger then parking it 100's of miles away from base camp?? you could have parked it up a lot nearer the Nest? anyhow credit to you for saving a chunk of History lets hope it still has plenty of life to give, the B.T's had the usual metal drama's built in, that is boom hoist cylinder pins and bearing wear, tip link shim stuff, cracks in the carbody, control linkage slack, then the electrical issues with the old style alternator and control, the engines used always managed to take some stick with the hydraulic system being very simple but odd with that little feeder tank under the pump line, the oil fill and bleed on the hydraulic system always lacked a 1/4"BSP tap on the top of the feeder tank instead of the brass plug, if you get stuck for Owt other than money just ask as I love to say NO, and check out the grease valves on the track adjusters to make sure you have the correct fitting to fit them.
best of luck tctractors

p.s. Happy Birthday J.R. at 54 you have a few more years on your Hour Meter than the 580 BT, but it's in a lot better nick ;)

bigkit

Post #7 by bigkit » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:57 pm

True to form the world according to TC........fabulous :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbup:

essexpete

Post #8 by essexpete » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:59 am

Well done Jeremy

Neversweat

Post #9 by Neversweat » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:36 am

Birthday Present to yourself Jeremy ? Good luck with it

Joes1989

Post #10 by Joes1989 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:04 pm

Ive found one that im hopefully going to take pictures of today! Congrats with the machine! Would love to own something like this myself one day!

Return to “Excavators”