Hymac 580BT 1969

Discuss excavators here

Andy80
Flag: Sweden

Re: Hymac 580BT 1969

Post #131 by Andy80 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:42 am

Allways interesting to read abour your machine and the progress you make on here Jeremy. She locks really fine now :claphands:
Interesting to see the solution regarding the transition from dipper arm to the bucket cylinder.
Mine has not this short steel pipes there, it is just two long hoses instead :)
20190917_180958.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #132 by Jeremy Rowland » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:59 am

Mine had a combination of one steel pipe and two flexi-hoses joined together both tied on with string :roll: somebody in the past had made a real 'pigs ear' of the job so that was one job on my list to get sorted, job done. :thumbup:

I have seen long arm machines with flexi-hoses all the way down to the bucket ram but I managed to get hold of a couple of second hand steel pipes and painted them up prior to fitting.

Jeremy

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #133 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:59 pm

I just took my last days annual leave on Thursday to go up to do a bit more work on the Hymac; I also took the time to run the Poclain as well to give her an airing too.
My endless jobs of work continue with the 580BT I had noticed that she had cracked on the boom in five places, above each of the boom hoist ram pin supports and at the edge of the flitch either side of the boom by the hoist supports and one crack along the underside of the boom. Now I did not want to have a go at this repair because I am at best a novice welder so I enlisted the help of Tim Brown and his friend Eugene who used to be a coded pipe welder.
Tim of course has restored machines of his own and who also helps out on many Thursdays; I got the Hymac under cover and used some baco-foil to protect the tops of the re-conditioned hydraulic rams, Tim helped Eugene and between them they repaired the boom which I then painted.

I have been unable to work on the 580BT for around the last seven or so Saturdays because on three occasions I have been up in Chorley, Lancashire trying to get the machine in the last photo running; I am not saying very much about this machine at this time, it is mine and how it came to be mine is a story for another time, it will remain on the 'back burner' for the time being for obvious reasons, she is in very poor condition and currently stuck where it is with a hydraulic leak which I am in the process of fixing at least she hasn't gone to the torch.

Jeremy

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #134 by Jeremy Rowland » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:44 pm

Well it's been a while now since I have been up to Hull; this is mainly due to running out of annual leave and the onset of the Christmas break, however I did make it up there on Tuesday. While there was no escaping the fact that the bucket ram needed to be stripped and rebuilt, once done an annoying fault was persistent, which is that the ram would not hold the bucket curl but let the bucket slowly tip back. :(

I suspected that there was a valve fault in the spool valve that feeds the ram; to cut a long story short, Tony Flint kindly gave me a valve which he had preset on his test rig, I finally got it fitted and tested, it now works a treat. :thumbup:

One more annoying fault I have to cure and any suggestions could prove helpful; the engine is draining the fuel back once she has stood and so I have to bleed her every time before starting the engine. I suspect that she is sucking air at some point, I intend to change the fuel filters and quite probably the low pressure fuel lines, does anybody know a good supplier for the fuel lines?

Jeremy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

essexpete

Post #135 by essexpete » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:00 pm

Jeremy could the diesel heater in the air intake be faulty and allow the prime to drop?

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #136 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:36 am

essexpete wrote:Jeremy could the diesel heater in the air intake be faulty and allow the prime to drop?

Pete, there is no diesel heater in the intake manifold on the Ford engine, only on the Perkins, thanks. :thumbup:

Jeremy

essexpete

Post #137 by essexpete » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:28 am

Of course. I was thinking Perkins. Could a leak back/return pipe be a problem?

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #138 by FOWLER MAN » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:47 am

Jeremy Rowland wrote:
essexpete wrote:Jeremy could the diesel heater in the air intake be faulty and allow the prime to drop?

Pete, there is no diesel heater in the intake manifold on the Ford engine, only on the Perkins, thanks. :thumbup:

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,
If no visible leaks I think I'd be looking to the lift pump. :think:
Perhaps the non-return valve in there is faulty, allowing fuel to run back when the engine standing idle. :?: :?: :?:

Fred

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #139 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:52 am

Thanks Fred; I will look at that; the lift pump is one that I have not seen on a Ford engine before, instead of having the little lever to bleed with it simply has a black plastic plunger that you press down on to manually operate the pump. :thumbup:

Jeremy

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #140 by FOWLER MAN » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:43 pm

Jeremy Rowland wrote:Thanks Fred; I will look at that; the lift pump is one that I have not seen on a Ford engine before, instead of having the little lever to bleed with it simply has a black plastic plunger that you press down on to manually operate the pump. :thumbup:

Jeremy

Sounds as though the original AC lift pump has been replaced with the later Bosch type :?: We had them on some of the Ford engined Priestmans.
You can remove the valves and springs from the Bosch type and clean / check them.
The Valves were crimped into all but the very early AC pumps which made repairs difficult. The earlier AC pumps had a screw and plate to hold the valves in place.
Fred

Return to “Excavators”