O&K RH300, NSM and their Gresley and Godkin Sites.

Discuss excavators here

Topic author
fulton

O&K RH300, NSM and their Gresley and Godkin Sites.

Post #1 by fulton » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:53 pm

Hi All,
I came upon this forum yesterday and was interested in the comments re O& K RH300, NSM Gresley and Godkin OCCS.
I was the Group Plant Manager at NSM during this time being with NSM from 1974 to 1982 and was responsible for procuring and setting up the maintenance equipment and programs, etc on the RH300 and all other plant owned and operated by NSM during this time. etc. when we developed the RH300, etc for O&K.
Having previously been with Cummins on engine development and Terex experimental department experience gained there proved "useful".
If anyone else that worked with NSM at this time please get in touch or if anyone has any relative questions please feel free to ask through this forum or direct at fulton@caraclassics.co.uk
Regards to ALL in our industry of which I have many varying memories.
Fulton.

Dah
Flag: Great Britain

Re: O&K RH300, NSM and their Gresley and Godkin Sites.

Post #2 by Dah » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:38 pm

Hi Fulton,

You may be able to answer a question that I've had for decades!

What was the main reason the Wabco's got swapped for the Roughcastle 785's? Were they cheaper to run / maintain or was it in the plan for the RH300 to be shut down and the 785's could carry on with the RH120's?

Also, I'm sure that I only ever saw 2 Wabco's, however, others believe that there were 4?

Thanks a lot,
Dave.

European A

Post #3 by European A » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:17 am

Hi Fulton,
It is great to read your work connection with the RH300. I would appreciate any comments about the RH300 performance. I have been always surprised about O&K just building three units. Was it related to any design or performance problem? or was it the result of external factors (economy, O&K strategy,...)?

Thanks a lot

Jeremy Rowland

Post #4 by Jeremy Rowland » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:22 pm

European A wrote:Hi Fulton,
It is great to read your work connection with the RH300. I would appreciate any comments about the RH300 performance. I have been always surprised about O&K just building three units. Was it related to any design or performance problem? or was it the result of external factors (economy, O&K strategy,...)?

Thanks a lot

From what I have read about the O&K RH300 it would appear that it was a successful design that was ahead of its time; basically there was not the interest in a hydraulic machine of that size at that time.

Jeremy

Ian Fletcher1970
Flag: Great Britain

Post #5 by Ian Fletcher1970 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:47 pm

Hi Fulton,
Firstly welcome to CMN :thumbup:
Secondly I grew up around a mile from Godkin site and can remember the Wabco's coming through on Low Loaders when I was about 11 or 12!
My biggest regret is not getting pictures of Godkin plant. I now regularly walk the dog over parts of the site!
If you have any Godkin/NSM pics then please post them.
Lastly - Did NSM own 2 Demag H241's - I remember going to an open day at Ryefield and seeing one F/S version working and one on display next to a Clark/Michigan plant caravan.

Gavin Phillips

Post #6 by Gavin Phillips » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:46 pm

Is it possible that the arrival of the RH200 sealed the fate of the RH300? If I recall correctly, the second RH300 machine built (an electric version) had a 34 yard bucket which is the same as that of the standard RH200 shovel (barring the pilot machine which featured a 27yd unit, ending up at Stobswood opencast site).

Excellent to hear from someone who had experience with the plant operating under NSM!
Look out that window, Eden isn't burning. Its burnt.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #7 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:53 pm

Gavin Phillips wrote:Is it possible that the arrival of the RH200 sealed the fate of the RH300? If I recall correctly, the second RH300 machine built (an electric version) had a 34 yard bucket which is the same as that of the standard RH200 shovel (barring the pilot machine which featured a 27yd unit, ending up at Stobswood opencast site).

Excellent to hear from someone who had experience with the plant operating under NSM!

I believe that there were three machines made; the second RH300 as you say was an electric powered shovel that was put to work in Chile, the third machine was never sold but used as parts for the other two machines. The RH200 was based on the knowledge that O&K had built up and learned from production of the RH300.

Jeremy

Gavin Phillips

Post #8 by Gavin Phillips » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:56 pm

Jeremy Rowland wrote:
Gavin Phillips wrote:Is it possible that the arrival of the RH200 sealed the fate of the RH300? If I recall correctly, the second RH300 machine built (an electric version) had a 34 yard bucket which is the same as that of the standard RH200 shovel (barring the pilot machine which featured a 27yd unit, ending up at Stobswood opencast site).

I believe that there were three machines made; the second RH300 as you say was an electric powered shovel that was put to work in Chile, the third machine was never sold but used as parts for the other two machines. The RH200 was based on the knowledge that O&K had built up and learned from production of the RH300.

Jeremy

One of the Eric Orlemann books in my collection confirms that the third RH300 (no details given if this machine is a diesel or electric version) was used as a donor vehicle. Thanks for confirming where the electric RH300 was put to work, for some reason I kept thinking it was in Alberta... :wtf:

Best regards

Gavin
Look out that window, Eden isn't burning. Its burnt.

carlbaker

Post #9 by carlbaker » Fri May 23, 2014 3:31 pm

Hi Guys sorry I'm late - my late father Peter Baker was plant manager at Godkin. He took me round the mine loads of times and the size of the machines there was awesome.

I’m just about to post some photos of the RH300 and Haulpack dumpers - Ive got loads of photos.....!!!

How do I attach a file??

Jeremy Rowland

Post #10 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri May 23, 2014 9:05 pm

carlbaker wrote:Hi Guys sorry I'm late - my late father Peter Baker was plant manager at Godkin. He took me round the mine loads of times and the size of the machines there was awesome.

I’m just about to post some photos of the RH300 and Haulpack dumpers - Ive got loads of photos.....!!!

How do I attach a file??

Carl when you make a post look below the box where you type your post and you will see a box labelled 'browse'
Click on that and look for the photo on your pc that you wish to upload, then click on that file, then click the open button.
The photo file should appear in the box next to the browse button, then click the button below the browse labelled 'upload the file(s)'
The file will then upload to the comments but will not be posted until you finally hit the lowest submit button which is at the very bottom of the page.
I usually repeat this process for each photo and once all of the pis are uploaded then I hit the submit button.
Hope I've made that sound simple.

Jeremy

Return to “Excavators”