Yanmar machines; how well rated and no-longer making traditional mini's?

Discuss excavators here

Topic author
Gavin Phillips

Yanmar machines; how well rated and no-longer making traditional mini's?

Post #1 by Gavin Phillips » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:58 pm

Yanmar machines seem to be on the rise in popularity here, especially with Selwood Plant (Durham being the closest dealership to me I think). It has been a while since I saw one of their "traditional" mini excavators as in the B-series of machines and after seeing an SV100 and looking up on their website for some information; I can finally see why.

Yanmar have discontinued producing the traditional type of mini excavator (the rear engine deck having that overswing of the tracks during slewing around). The only series of machines they build now are the ViO range (zero-tailswing) and the SV range (compact radius).

Interesting idea really I suppose. Maybe other companies such as Kubota or even Bobcat are missing something in this?

That aside, if anyone's run a Yanmar excavator, are they any good compared to the competition out there?

Best regards

Gavin
Look out that window, Eden isn't burning. Its burnt.

essexpete

Re: Yanmar machines; how well rated and no-longer making traditional mini's?

Post #2 by essexpete » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:21 pm

I never have anything that is not obsolete :( . I have quite liked our '03 B15-3. Nice to drive compared the previous Peljob but not necessarily any more power, a little more reach. The 2 speed tracking is a boon when distance is involved and it is still compact enough to carry in our telehandler bucket.
The Zero swing would be handy in tight areas but I rarely do that type of job.

Return to “Excavators”