hitachi UHO4

Discuss excavators here

Topic author
jimmy 130

hitachi UHO4

Post #1 by jimmy 130 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:19 am

Any one have any photos or info on UHO4. My da had to of these years ago 1 had just the two levers other had two levers and two pedels. He also had a UHO52 heres a few pictures.
Photo1000.jpg

Photo0999.jpg

Photo0998.jpg

Photo0997.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Deas Plant

Re: hitachi UHO4

Post #2 by Deas Plant » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:07 am

Hi, Jimmy130.
As I remember, the UH04 was about a 13-ton machine. I learned on UH04's and UH07's in the mid 1970's. All the ones I came across had six big levers sticking up from the floor, the middle two of which were the travel controls. The next two out from centre each had pedals on them for foot operation. Those two were the bucket (on the right) and the dipper arm (on the left) controls. The two outside levers, under the right and left hands were the hoist and the slew respectively.

They were a good, solid , reliable machine, every bit as good as the Katos which were pretty much the benchmark for excavators DowNunder at the time. In fact, I preferred the Hitachis myself.

I understand the later versions of both of the above models went to joystick controls before they were phased out.

Hope this helps.
You have a wonderful day. Best wishes. Deas Plant.

Hugh Jaleak
Flag: Great Britain

Post #3 by Hugh Jaleak » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:34 pm

I drove a rather tired UH07-3 in the early 90's. 2 floor mounted levers for excavation operations, 2 slightly shorter levers in the middle for the tracks. It weighed it around the 18tonne mark IIRC, and was powered by a (very thirsty and even noiseier) 6 cylinder Hino engine. She was eventually retired when one of the heads cracked and made it uneconomical to repair. Was replaced by a Cat 215, certainly a difference!

Sadly I never did get around to photographing the old girl while I had the chance. The Hitachi out of interest replaced an ancient Poclain LC80, with 6 cyl Deutz.

I think Ruttle Plant used to run some of the early Hitachi's during the 80's, IIRC there was an article about it in 'Contruction Plant and Equipment', will try and look it out when I get a chance.

Topic author
jimmy 130

Post #4 by jimmy 130 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:55 pm

That would b great nick. i enjoy looking at pictures and articals on these old ladies. Just wish i hada took more pictures of our machines as they wornt that common around the north of ireland. on like now every corner you go around has a hitachi sitting. :) As far as i can remember the older version we owned had a hino engine and the newer came with an isuzu engine

Deas Plant Thaks for your help also. Everything u said in your post was spot on. Although 1 of our uho4's had the 6 levers with the 1 for bucket and 1 for dipper removed leaven just 2 pedels ;) The new version Uho4 we had, had just two levers with almost same controls as found in modern diggers. only difference being the left hand lever worked oposite. Ie u pulled lever back and forward to slew rather than side to side. The uho52 had same controls as this.

Topic author
jimmy 130

Post #5 by jimmy 130 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:04 pm

Found a couple of pictures on the internet recently of Uho4s that still exsist in the world somewhere. Wouldnt fancy given up the contols of todays hitachis to go back behind the levers of this again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hugh Jaleak
Flag: Great Britain

Post #6 by Hugh Jaleak » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:31 am

Will have to look those pics out when I get chance. (Mrs has tidied up so lord knows where they'll be now.... :? ) The earlier versions did come with Hino engines, but I think the main complaint about them was they were very thirsty! The later Isuzu powered versions were commended on their reliability and lower fuel consumption. Company I did a bit for ran a UH081, (rest were Akerman and Liebherr ducks), the only breakdown in 4 years was the hooter stuck on!

Return to “Excavators”