Hymac 690

Discuss excavators here

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Re: Hymac 690

Post #61 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:28 pm

Well I left the turbo soaking in some old derv last week; a good friend of mine suggested leaving it for longer, anyway I had an idea of my own so using some bolts and nuts I devised a simple method of using these to exert pressure on the casing, a bit like a jack. Now although I did protect the weaker part of the casing, I did not want to put too much pressure on, so after using three bolts at different angles it appears that the turbo has started to come apart albeit by a few thou. The result is that I can now get some freeing oil in and be sure that it is reaching the part that is still stuck, I opted to let it soak again now with a gap that will permit the fluid to enter and hopefully free it off.

While the turbo was soaking my next task turned into another real saga; one of the engine jobs that is a 'must do' for me is to change the engine oil and filter, the old filter which is the screw on canister type is so old that it has the Hy-mac name and part number on it. After using a filter wrench the old filter eventually gave up and I broke the seal on it, however I had a real bad feeling about this filter.

The filter is an upside down canister type :thumbdown: daft idea to start with :roll: now my hand would just fit between the bottom of this filter and the inlet manifold, it crossed my mind that there may not be enough room to get the filter out, after unscrewing the filter this worst case scenario was then realized :x Quickly I could see there was only one way to get the filter off which was to unscrew the two bolts that hold the filter housing to the side of the engine block which would allow that to drop out of the way enough for me to remove the filter. Grr what a malarkey that was, but got the job done in the end, only the British could design such a daft idea as that! Just to add to any saga the weather was crap too, but not a bad day overall plus two other smaller tasks completed. :thumbup:

Jeremy

mechman
Flag: Great Britain

Post #62 by mechman » Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:41 pm

Hi Jeremy.
The other down side with that type of filter is you can't fill it before fitting. Bad idea as you say.
Norm.

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #63 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:08 pm

mechman wrote:Hi Jeremy.
The other down side with that type of filter is you can't fill it before fitting. Bad idea as you say.
Norm.

Yes Norman quite correct they used to have a similar setup for the fuel filter on the Rolls Royce diesels fitted in the Seddon Atkinson trucks, another daft idea, made you want to take em off and fit them the right way up. :)

Jeremy

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #64 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:43 pm

The turbo still refuses to come apart :roll: so back to soaking for that; after having changed the oil filter I then decided to drain the sump oil and change that, what a horrible mess that was, even changing that wasn't straight forward as the drain plug faces a cross member so oily mess ahoy :x That done I made the decision to run her up minus the turbo; she started first time and has now run for the first time since acquisition off her own fuel supply, she did not smoke on tick over however after running there was a fair amount of oil coming from the exhaust and it is my suspician that the old turbo was not at fault, so the oil can only be passing the rings or the valve guide seals.
Both Andrew and Tony Wilson his mechanic thought that this was more due to the machine standing for such a long period and doing no real work, it is my intention to move the digger from where it is currently located to nearer the main working shed, the ground is more level there and I can get electrical power out to it there, so perhaps that may be next weeks task, if I do then I will try and get her warmed through and see what happens then.

Jeremy

Slooby

Post #65 by Slooby » Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:18 pm

I'm with Andrew and Tony on that, my P38 Range Rover with a BMW M51 2.5 Turbo Diesel had been stood for a couple of years and barely run in that time. When I attempted to take it for its first MoT it failed for having a massive oil leak, which I traced to the oil level dipstick and oil being blown out of it. Having already thoroughly cleaned out the only breather system on the engine when I replaced the cam cover gasket, and there seemingly being no backpressure in the breather I was really concerned that my engine was shot with excessive blow by from knackered rings. Then after thinking about it a bit more I reasoned that perhaps the problem was that the rings were really gummed up from sitting and really just needed a good long run. So after cleaning everything up, I booked an MoT at a garage about a mile from home, where it passed with an advisory for a slight oil leak...Since then I've covered 3k miles in it, and it's gone from marking its teritory everytime it's been parked up to barely a sign of anything, plus hardly using any oil now, so I'm pretty confident that I was right and it just needed to bed back in and get everything freed up and softened up enought to be sealing once again.
CMN Stuff: MF65, Thwaites Nimline, JCB 3CX
Projects: S11a 88" V8 Hybrid, 2 x S111 109"s, Mk11 Mini, Harrison L5A :doh:
Ish projects: T25 Camper, ST675R
Just added: Alpine S5 & Bridgeport Mk2 :wtf:
Sorely Missed: Impreza, E39 M5

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #66 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:52 pm

Yes Tim if you had seen the state of the old engine oil that came out then I would not be surprised if the rings were gummed up; although the machine cannot work at this time I will try and get her hot next week when I move her nearer to the work shed, there is a derv leak from the fuel injection pump which I need to sort out first.
Long term plans are to change the hydraulic oil, get the throttle and stop working correctly, repair the cab roof and engine canopy to make them waterproof, then perhaps think about getting it painted, so far the job is a big challenge to say the least.

Jeremy

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #67 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:11 pm

Well she limped out of the place where I parked her back in October 2019 and to a location a bit nearer to the main shed where I can get some power out for future work on the machine; I could not get the engine hot as there are at least two derv leaks that need sorting, not too much on the photos this week but some footage of the move I may put on YouTube.

Jeremy

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #68 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:35 am

As promised here is a link of the machine move:

https://youtu.be/gL-voFd-Sl0

Jeremy

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #69 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:59 pm

Early rain caused me to do a simple job before starting to try and cure some of the fuel leaks from the DPA injector pump; there are two grease nipples at the end of the boom for grease lubrication of the dipper arm pin, these weren't taking grease so I decided while things were drying up a bit I would quickly tackle that job.
The first issue was the new nipples in my possession are the wrong thread :roll: however after removing each of them I pushed grease directly through each old nipple in turn. The next job was to clean out the crap from the holes where the nipples are located, this was done using a screwdriver and a drill bit, then by squirting some WD40 into each of the holes, when you see this drain away, then you know that it should take grease which both did okay so that was one job done.
There are at least two leaks from the high pressure steel injector tubes/banjos on the DPA fuel injection pump, after sorting two I gave up when a third decided to leak and one of the leak off banjos on top of no1 injector, so a job for next week, am hoping to sort the turbo next week much has been done but much more aggro to go with it all so turbos are off my talking list at the moment. :lol:

Jeremy

XS650

Post #70 by XS650 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:03 pm

Not all those who wander are lost.

Return to “Excavators”