English Electric

Do you have a site around the corner? Show us the progress, discuss the approach ...

Topic author
martyn williams

English Electric

Post #1 by martyn williams » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:37 pm

Working in Westbury today on an engine that was booked for running rough.Simple fix, No 5 cyl exhaust valve adjuster has run back giving an 1 inch clearence.After a re adjust and checking the others it ran sweet again. The exhaust valves on this 6 cyl E E engine can be removed without taking the head off. The valve is held within a casting and is jacked out.
Martyn

Topic author
martyn williams

Re: English Electric

Post #2 by martyn williams » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:41 pm

This is the loco I was working on today
[video]http://youtu.be/55SMjrpEf54[/video]

topkit
Flag: Great Britain

Post #3 by topkit » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:44 pm

Blimey do they still run 08's if i remember rightly back in the late 70's the 08 was the largest fleet of any class of Loco on BR, we had both 08 & the 09 which had high level jumpers to allow the to be coupled up to the Southern Regions DEMUS and EMU'S, One of my favourite shifts was on an 08 when they were building the Victoria line Flyover, all you did all day was shunt Grampus wagons that were loaded with PFA (Pulverised Fuel Ash) they were then unloaded by three Poclains 2 x 90 and 1x 75 owned by a company called Cedac. Wish i had taken pictures now!

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #4 by martyn williams » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:45 am

We look after just three now, Didcot, Westbury and Hinksey.A good shunting engine.Weighs 50 ton and has good traction.633 was built 50 years ago and is in use 24/7. BR had over 1200 of these originally.We had three just based in Newport until five years ago.
A wonderfull sounding 6 cylinder engine.Max speed is 15 mph the 09's were 27 mph.
I used to do all the remetaling on the side rod bushes in the WR based locos.Proper fitting job , using bearing scrapers and a lathe.It took around two days from start to finish. I put refurbished side rods on this loco last year.A heavy job with no lifting takle :dizzy:
The English Electric company is no more, it turned into Ruston Paxman on the later diesels
You could call this type of loco a true classic Brtish built machine :thumbup:
Martyn

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #5 by martyn williams » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:51 am

An 09 at Newport, I named it Leo after a retired fitter. Its pulling 1000 tonnes on this trip working from the docks to Llanwern with my mate Andy Thomas at the controls
[video]http://youtu.be/_5orc8ytd9I[/video]

Return to “Workplaces/Job reports”