GM V12

Do you have a site around the corner? Show us the progress, discuss the approach ...

Topic author
martyn williams

GM V12

Post #1 by martyn williams » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:39 am

Found this footage on youtube of the GM V12 being started.I work on this type of engine but this footage is from a rival companies loco.
It does not seem to have any of its exhaust pipework fitted.They all give a warning beep before starting then will run at above idling revs to warm up angine.Its a twostroke developing 3300 horsepower.
[video]http://youtu.be/9gjV7WpoyLs[/video]
Martyn

Dug Overburden

Re: GM V12

Post #2 by Dug Overburden » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:13 pm

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #3 by FOWLER MAN » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:20 pm

Hi All,
Nothing quite sounds like a GM two stroke, I rebuilt a few smaller V4,6 and 8s in the 1960s/70s.
I was sent on a works course and they had an "awsome" marine unit on test which consisted of two V12 units flywheel to flywheel (one driving in reverse rotation) both driving a common box through torque converters. "Very Impressive"!! Can't remember the H.P.
The main difference from building a normal four stroke was that because the bores were ported and blown the gugeon pins had to be sealed to prevent blow through to the sump.
This was done by sealing the pin ends with "Welch Washers" (core plugs). The pistons were upturned and filled with dyed petrol and left over night to check for traces of seepage. ( HSE probably would'nt let you use petrol now).
The other fun bit was setting up the fuel system, there were individual rocker opperated pumps which were individualy set. (A set of "go/no go feeler and depth guages were supplied by GM for the job). The linkage between the two banks had to be set too, to ballance both sides of the engine.
The reccomended method of checking was to run up the engine without the exhaust manifolds, holding a white card in front of the ports. A Heavy sooty deposit would show up over-fuelling. "Deffinitely an ear muffs job"!
Fred

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #4 by martyn williams » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:03 am

I got called out to a loco last week with reports of low oil pressure. I arranged for it to be towed back from Cwnbargoed with its train.I expected to see a major oil leak but not much evidence of oil :dizzy: Put 40 gallon into the engine to see where it was loosing it.Ran it up as we have had pipe fractures in the past but this one was proved to be more serious.I run it for less than 10 seconds and shut it down when I noticed that the casing on the free end started moving.There was a neat fracture around the oil and coolant pump flanges.
Loco was towed back to its main depot.When it was stripped down it was found that the water pump and oil pump gear spacers has disintegrated which had caused the fractures on the free end casing.They had never seen that happen before and I believe that photos were sent to GM incase there was a major engine fault about to appear on this fleet.
Martyn

Return to “Workplaces/Job reports”