Another busy week

Do you have a site around the corner? Show us the progress, discuss the approach ...

Topic author
martyn williams

Another busy week

Post #1 by martyn williams » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:56 am

I am on my last day shift of the week.I was at Whatley quarry yesterday on a callout.Then got called to Didcot yard.Whilst there,noticed that there was a tidy JCB 3C in use on the GWR steam railway.
I have done 1400 miles in the van this week,looking forward to a rest on Monday,trouble its I am working Monday night till Thursday. :arrrrgh:
There is a lot of old plant still in use at the farms that I have passed this week.Fron 580 C's to MF back hoe loaders.Will be taking my camera next time out.Will be at Whatley today on an electronic fault on a 66
Martyn

Gdaddy68

Re: Another busy week

Post #2 by Gdaddy68 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:00 am

Needless to say, also helping those of us across the Big BLUE! Thanks for your help on the CAV injection pump! It is working Very Well! I can rest now and finish my restoration! The PDF was very helpful! I will post some pics when I am finished with the MF 235!

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #3 by martyn williams » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:49 pm

Looking forward to seeing them :thumbup:
Martyn

nick lamb

Post #4 by nick lamb » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:32 pm

Hi Martyn,I know I don't generally reply to your posts as we have different interests,but I do enjoy reading your exploits with the trains as I have started to learn abit about them from one of my staff who is a keen train man.I now know what a Deltic is,a class 40 and his favourites ar his beloved class 37's and he doesn't mean cat 637's! :lol:
Keep up the diary mate,
Best regards,Nicky.

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #5 by martyn williams » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:56 pm

Hello Nick
On nights this week.Been eventfull.Had one loco that threw a con rod, Mirrlees 8 cyl 3300hp diesel,had gypos pinch signal cable causing disruption on Monday.Then the test run I was on played up and had a DSD aplication in Newport station :lol: The train spotters had a good laugh and took lots of photos of us.
Last night had a job at Aberthaw,then got called to a wagon at 0300 that had its air pipe torn off as it was not hung up and got ripped off in point work.
Its an interesting job, but is all or nothing.Seems to get manic when I am on :lol:
Looking forward to my rest week now and a few cans of beer.
Martyn

Jack

Post #6 by Jack » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:08 pm

Hi Martyn, Do you work at DBS? are they scrapping all the 60's?

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #7 by martyn williams » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:52 pm

Yes I do, some of the class 60's are being given a major overhaul,the first 60 007 is due to be put back into traffic at the end of April.
This should give them another 10 to 15 years service.Some are on 50,000 engine hours now. Some 66's are going to Poland on a contract there.
Martyn

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #8 by martyn williams » Mon May 02, 2011 8:26 pm

Had a busy weekend in work,I must take my camera with me.Was at Westbury on Saturday at the Yeoman loading site.A big Komatsu excavator there loading ballast onto rail wagons.Then was at Avonmouth coal terminal to do some loco inspections.Then yesterday ended up at Cogan,near Barry.Problems with one of the wagon brakes on a track renewal job.It was an urgent job as the line neaded to be reopened to service.Patched up the wagon and got the train on its way.
One of the vintage Deltic locos in preservation is back in revenue earning service with a freight company.These locos were used on the wesy coast mainline in BR days. They have two engines of Napier Deltic.They have 36 pistons per engine and 3 crankshafts.3300 HP between the two engines.They are two stroke with a very destinctive engine note.
Martyn
http://youtu.be/e2LgpzeAexM
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Workplaces/Job reports”