New workshop

Do you have a site around the corner? Show us the progress, discuss the approach ...

Topic author
Robban_C

New workshop

Post #1 by Robban_C » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:59 pm

I thought that I should share some pictures from a nearby workplace, my own property. I plan to build a new workshop at home. The reasons are that my old workshop that I rent is to small and that the new neighbour can´t tolerate any noises at all (such as my angle grinder).
So I have started checking the possibilities to build a new workshop at home.

The first thing was to remove two big loads of thorny weed. Don´t know the English name but it might be blackthorn or sloe, "slånbär" in Swedish, maybe someone of our Swedish members can translate it? I tried to remove it with a weedeater but it took much to long time. So I switched to my excavator with a toothed bucket. That way I could remove the weed complete with the roots.

Next part is to examine the ground to see if it would take such a buliding without sinking and that´s where we are now. It turned out that the rocks in the ground were not that stable. They have obvious been put there and covered with compost. This means that there´s no guarante that the rocks and the ground are hard enough. So I`m removing all rocks and the soil until I find stable ground.

There´s also the problem with the "topography" of my property. The problem can probably be solved in either of these ways:
1. Filling the area under half of the going-to-be workshop with rocks and gravel.
2. Taking advantage of the topgraphy and building av basement under half of the workshop along one of the longer sides.

There might be another problem as well. As you see on the pictures there is a field outside my property. The field reaches slightly in on my property and everyone knows that building on a field of mud without making sure that the building stands on solid ground means trouble. So I also have to dig a hole at the border of my property to check the thickness of the mud. Anyway, all mud must be removed and filled with rocks to make sure the building sits on stable ground. An alternative is as you know pile driving but that´s a question about money.

Anyway, I have to upload a few pictures before I fall asleep.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Robban_C on Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Volvo EC45 PRO -06
Volvo EC35 -01
MB-Trac 800 turbo
Bigab 10-14 hook lift trailer
MF 3165, Poor Ferguson

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/RobbanxC

Topic author
Robban_C

Re: New workshop

Post #2 by Robban_C » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:18 am

Some more pictures.

Summer in Sweden cam sometimes be beautiful. This summer don´t know that. Cold and sometimes even rain. Just as everybody say about England. :D
But today was as you see at the last picture quite a nice weather. :thumbs_up:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Volvo EC45 PRO -06
Volvo EC35 -01
MB-Trac 800 turbo
MF 3165, Poor Ferguson

Topic author
Robban_C

Post #3 by Robban_C » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:23 am

Last pic´s for today.
I´ll continue telling about the project and posting pic´s if someone is interested but don´t expect it to be finished tomorrow. Or next year. It´s a big project that eats both time and money so of course I have to do this parallell with working.
Volvo EC45 PRO -06
Volvo EC35 -01
MB-Trac 800 turbo
MF 3165, Poor Ferguson

Nick Drew

Post #4 by Nick Drew » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:37 pm

Hi Rob,

Great and very interesting series of photos...Thanks for sharing.

Always good to see how people do things in other countries :thumbs_up:

Nice to see you after all this time ....but please put some clothes on or you will frighten the children!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Regards

Nick :thumbs_up:

Bosse_A

Post #5 by Bosse_A » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:44 pm

Hello Robban!
This was interesting photos to look at a Saturday evening :thumbs_up:
I can see I am not the only one to have some stones on the farm :P
I try to make the land ouside an old workshop a little even, but every grasp with the bucket gives a lot of stone.
Ufortunately this summer is the rainiest I can remember so the ground starts to be mud after a little time. The machine needs a cleening after every working day :cry:
What would life be without my excavator :x

Kubota 121-2
Polaris 6 wheel drive
Thule ATV dumping trailer

Topic author
Robban_C

Post #6 by Robban_C » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:44 pm

Hi Bosse!

The only way is to remove the stones and fill it with crushed rocks. Probably the fraction 0-18 or 0-30 or something similar would do.

My own project is "sleeping" right now as I have so much work for the moment. And a new roof on my house before winter would be nice. But I´ll be back!
Volvo EC45 PRO -06
Volvo EC35 -01
MB-Trac 800 turbo
MF 3165, Poor Ferguson

Return to “Workplaces/Job reports”