Pond Life

Do you have a site around the corner? Show us the progress, discuss the approach ...

quinner

Re: Pond Life

Post #11 by quinner » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:06 pm

nice pics there clive it not something you see everyday nice outfit you have there looking forward to seeing the ampfib in earthmovers . it must be a strange feeling digging on water :dizzy:

Topic author
bigkit
Flag: Great Britain

Post #12 by bigkit » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:06 pm

Yes Brian it is Hever, nice little puddle at the bottom of the garden. The machine has been great so far. I took the thumb and quick hitch off to save weight and I didn't need it there. It has made a big difference to the stability especially in deep water.

No problems out there. You have to work with the machine on something even if it is soft silt, it gives you grip when the arm is pulling so its stable when moving even at full reach. At least you know when she starts pitching and you lose sight of the tracks she's going to float! It not like it's bye bye..................unless you've got a puncture! :dizzy:

The silt is being tipped in a field at the bottom of the lake Liam. :thumbup:

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #13 by FOWLER MAN » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:19 pm

Hi Clive,
I'm more than a little impressed. :bow: Keep up the good work. :!: :!: :thumbup:

Best regards.

Fred

Topic author
bigkit

Post #14 by bigkit » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:41 pm

Cheers Fred! I thought I'd take a punt a something different! (forgive the pun)

The machine complimented what I already did but I wanted to say "I can do that" no matter what. I'm just trying to stand clear of any of the competition. Mainstream plant is cut throat unless you've got a unique selling point. IMO

Topic author
bigkit

Post #15 by bigkit » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:15 pm

A couple more.......
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

68a

Post #16 by 68a » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:01 am

Great insight Clive,the pics clear a few things up for me.I see one tug could run a few 'skips'.For some reason I thought each tug had it's own skip.
How do you unload the tugs from the low loader?
I assume you just drag the skips off?

Mrsmackpaul
Flag: Australia

Post #17 by Mrsmackpaul » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:09 am

Wow not what I expected all those punts getting pushed around would have to be a fair bit of work I would have thought you would use something like a big concrete pump floating along beside you but as they say I shouldnt think lol theres a lot labour involved by the looks of it

the big question is do you get sea sick bobbing around out there I reckon I would

thanks for sharing

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Topic author
bigkit

Post #18 by bigkit » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:30 pm

Hi you two :wave: ,

the hoppers barges only weigh about 4t each empty so we lifted them of with the 150 excavator. The tugs are heavier and need a hiab lorry really. I've done the concrete pump thing, it works but is a bit slow. The other option was to use a cutter suction dredger. I thought my way would be quicker and cleaner.

The barges are quite quick and we are moving about 200m3 a day of pure silt. It comes up like cream cheese when you move it for the first time. Each time after that you move it it gets sloppier. If you dig and load you don't get too much water in the skip. I hope to up production when the other tug is going so I'll run 2. It'll cut down a little waiting time we are currently suffering.

There is no swell so you wont get sea sick. The odd feeling is when you are still and the barges just float by on the breeze, "is it them or me", a bit disorientating, its like sitting in a stationary train and the one next to you moves off very slowly :dizzy:

I'm embarrassed to say I've been right royally ripped off tho'! :oops: :twisted: I bought that new tug from a guy on the basis that the engine in it was knackered (he told me so) but he would put a replacement in. I agreed to pay him what he wanted on the basis a replacement was fitted and the boat was ready for work a week later. No problem he said. A week later he said it was all done and it would be down that evening. I transferred the money. No boat! :evil: Promises, promises but still no boat a week later! :evil: :evil: :evil: After a bit of argy bargy on the phone he sent a hired tug down to get us working. We started :) .

After more promises he said the tug was done the following Saturday, all good to go but he couldn't deliver it until Tuesday. Tuesday came no tug. After excuses about the lorry was stuck with a load on he said it would be down that night or the very latest on the Wednesday am. Tuesday night hired tug breaks down. Wednesday no tug, so no operating tug at all and no answer on the phone, I'm getting mad!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :twisted:

I drive to Rugby to see him.......the tug is still in his yard unfinished, dirty and no hiab lorry! After a load of bullshit excuses I got a lorry there and took it and had to finish it myself the next day. Only to find his replacement engine is FU*K*D! a scrapper!!!!! :doh: :twisted:

I've removed the engine and it is being completely rebuilt. Needs a new crank, pistons, liners, rings, head, oil pump and loads of bits and bobs.

He said no warranty. I said see you in court! :arrrrgh:

To put this in perspective he owns a commercial vehicle garage and is too negligent to check that the engine he bought was fit for the job!

So if you breakdown DONT go to TY Engineering in Dunchurch on the M45.

I'll posts some pics up later..............

Sorry for the rant! ;)

Mrsmackpaul
Flag: Australia

Post #19 by Mrsmackpaul » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:32 pm

amazing sounds like heads are gunna roll as we say this whole proccess is fasinating to me I have never seen it done like this before thanks for sharing and explaining :bow: :bow:
I think we all find it very frustrating when we people just lie to our face and it would appear all to often some assholes never intended to do the right thing from the start so feel free to have a rant I reckon most of us have being down the path of dealing with pricks keep these pics coming I find it really fasinating

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Jeremy Rowland

Post #20 by Jeremy Rowland » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:30 pm

Clive what type and make of engine was it in the tug? Perhaps you may have been quicker to find a second hand lump and stuck that in then at least you would be up and running? Like you said though you could smell the bull a mile away, why oh why do folks try it on and insult peoples intelligence? It would have been much better for him to have come clean and told you the truth and then discussed a sensible way out of the situation. :arrrrgh:

Jeremy

Return to “Workplaces/Job reports”