Alexander Sutherland, Golspie

Discuss large and small companies here.

Topic author
AMRoss

Alexander Sutherland, Golspie

Post #1 by AMRoss » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:55 pm

Any information and photographs on Alexander Sutherland Limited of Golspie in Northern Scotland would be very interesting to see.

Sutherlands were a major building and civil engineering company working across Northern Scotland until 1977 (or 79) when they were taken over by Morrisons of Tain and they became Morrison Construction Limited. Morrison are still a major civils contractor in Scotland and are now the Scottish brand for Galliford Try. They built the Kyle of Tongue causeway bridge and sections of the A9 trunk road.

As a wee boy I can remember the takeover of Sutherlands and my dad inherited a rather fine Ford D series three axle road dumptruck (replacing his Morrison Dodge tipper until a new Magirus Deutz arrived) and Morrisons quarry was used as a dumping ground for their collection of Smith faceshovels that were subsequently scrapped. I have posted my one photograph of an ex Sutherland Smith dragline in Morrison colours on one of the other discussion topics. The Smith machines were replaced by a handful of small Poclains; Morrison's English holding company was Shand who had a Poclain 1000 in their opencast fleet. Morrison never got above the Poclain 90!

Interested to see anything!

Return to “Companies”