John Howard and Company

Discuss large and small companies here.

Topic author
concrete

John Howard and Company

Post #1 by concrete » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:38 am

hi

i have posted this in the construction index and wee heavy replied-thank you. Does any one have any info on the company John Howard and Company Ltd

thank you

Fractum

Re: John Howard and Company

Post #2 by Fractum » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:22 am

I've had quite alot to do with John Howards, in the 60's they built Tema Harbour in Ghana together with Sir Lindsay Parkinson and the firm was called Parkinson Howard. My father was a quarry manager out there. Then in the 70's they built Seaforth container docks in Liverpool, I worked on the quarrying side in Anglesey where barges took over a million tons of rock to the docks in Liverpool. Howards then becam Howard Dorris on the north sea platforms because they were world leaders in slip forming concrete, I think one of their pours lasted nearly two years. I believe they are now part of the Amec group.

Topic author
concrete

Post #3 by concrete » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:48 am

hi fractum, thanks for the info, interesting. Do you know where there plant yards and offices were located.

Did you get any photos of th seaforth job.

thank you

Fractum

Post #4 by Fractum » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:07 pm

Hi concrete
I think they had a yard in Tilbury docks I never got to the Seaforth side, i Think Hampton did the muck in Seaforth
in his last years Sir John spent millons pushing for Londons third Airport in foulness sands out on the thames he built models had studies ,reports. There was going to be a monorail link in to London.

Hutch

Post #5 by Hutch » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:04 pm

Hi Concrete
My father worked for John Howard for sixteen years.They had a yard in Datchet but later built a head office and yard in Rochester Kent which is now owned by HE Services. Howard Doris was a joint venture with French contractor Doris and operated the Loch Kishorn dry dock to build concrete oil platforms with only one ever being built for Chevron.After this joint venture Howards seemed to never really recover and limped along changing their colours to blue from the dark green and losing the small white logo with their plant side becoming Rochester Plant .The last contract that I remember them doing was re modeling the M20 Coldharbour roundabout in Kent (not their typical type of contract) which went seriously over the completion date and shortly afterwards around 1984/85 they went into administration being absorbed by Fairclough/AMEC

Topic author
concrete

Post #6 by concrete » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:34 pm

hi hutch did you find out any more info.

Wee Heavy
Flag: Great Britain

Post #7 by Wee Heavy » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:05 pm

Hutch wrote:Hi Concrete
My father worked for John Howard for sixteen years.They had a yard in Datchet but later built a head office and yard in Rochester Kent which is now owned by HE Services. Howard Doris was a joint venture with French contractor Doris and operated the Loch Kishorn dry dock to build concrete oil platforms with only one ever being built for Chevron.After this joint venture Howards seemed to never really recover and limped along changing their colours to blue from the dark green and losing the small white logo with their plant side becoming Rochester Plant .The last contract that I remember them doing was re modeling the M20 Coldharbour roundabout in Kent (not their typical type of contract) which went seriously over the completion date and shortly afterwards around 1984/85 they went into administration being absorbed by Fairclough/AMEC

The Howard Plant/Rochester Plant yard that I use to visit was much closer to the river and beyond where Cliffe Plant use to have thier Screens set up.

The link below goes to the other John Howard thread

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6322

I can remember one of the JCB dealerships being down near the river in one of the new small industrial units that got built but I cannot remember HE Services being down that far

HE Services moved in to the old Burnett and Rolph (APV Burnett and Rolph) factory that use to fabricate Vessels and process pipework and they were closer to the access in off the Finsbury Road

Burnett and Rolph were one of Beck and Pollitzers regular customers as there was always work for traditional cranes and semi low loaders loading up thier kit

If you go to the other link below, I would wager that the chalk cliff face behind the lorries is the back of what is now HE's yard

viewtopic.php?t=5353

Regards

Wee Heavy

Hutch

Post #8 by Hutch » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:12 pm

Hi
in the other thread on John Howards Jackie Broadbents name is mentioned, my father spent most of the fifteen years he was with Howards working under Jackie and was part of a team that seemed to move from job to job with him,the last being Kishorn. My father started on the site after the dry dock had been built by Lillys and was one of the last to leave the site, staying in the Stromferry hotel once the main accomodation had shut on site.His main job was as a crane operator,driving anything from a Coles Huskey to the 38RB on the diving barge.

Return to “Companies”