Multidrive - Another David J Brown company

Discuss large and small companies here.

Topic author
BulldozerD11

Re: Multidrive - Another David J Brown company

Post #11 by BulldozerD11 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:26 am

Thanks Dirty Digger :thumbs_up:

For filling out the story of a company that popped in and out of the news (mainly the trade press).

If you have info on the tractors as well we are interested as well.

The pictures at Keir Scotlands OCCS look similar to the site shown in the 'Earthmovers magazine article back in 2006.

Now that MOD 4X4X4 looks interesting with sloping sides :idea:

Dave
Interested in Tractors, Plant, Heavy Haulage or Steam visit http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/Tractor_%26_Construction_Plant_Wiki
Help document every manufacturer model build, and record every machine in preservation, clubs and events etc.

XS650
Flag: Great Britain

Post #12 by XS650 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:22 am

Used to visit the Thirsk industrial estate where Multidrive was based . Their office was always surrounded by interesting vehicles military , construction and agricultural. But never took any photos :(
Howerver thru the power of google earth here is factory in 2002 (?) Military vehicles powered axle artic tankers on left and powered axle artic tippers on right.
multidrive.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Not all those who wander are lost.

Dirty Digger

Post #13 by Dirty Digger » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:13 pm

XS650 wrote:Used to visit the Thirsk industrial estate where Multidrive was based . Their office was always surrounded by interesting vehicles military , construction and agricultural. But never took any photos :(
Howerver thru the power of google earth here is factory in 2002 (?) Military vehicles powered axle artic tankers on left and powered axle artic tippers on right.

If you are interested in Multidrive off-road fuel tankers, here is what is probably the only photograph in existance of all three generations of fuel/water tanker together (including their armoured one).

I'll see what I can dig-up on their agricultural tractors.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dirty Digger

Post #14 by Dirty Digger » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:00 pm

I've dusted-off my old tractor spotters anorak;

I've got a dim recollection that the large John Deere agricultural equipment dealer in the north-east, Claytons, originally developed their buggie as an agricultural load carrier. At that time the only real alternative was a Unimog or a JCB.

Multidrive bought the design and negotiated a deal with John Deere that their agricultural dealer network could sell and support them (they were powered by JD engines). In the UK, their main use was to mount a sprayer or a spreader, but they also had a loyal following overseas, in markets such as New Zealand. Part of the reason was that you could easily rebuild them when they wore out; a bolted ladder chassis and no huge rear diff casting. But, if the truth be know, this generation wasn't really that good, a crash Eaton gearbox was not the height of sophistication.

That all changed towards the end of 2002, when Multidrive launched a new generation of vehicles. These can be distinguished from earlier models by their yellow bulging bonnet. Under that nose was a state-of-the-art 6F/3R ZF auto box with torque converter lock-up in all gears, powered by a 180hp JD Powertech engine in the largest model.

Bottom of the new range was a 140hp 4140, which retailed some of the basic features of the previous model, but could carry 6 tonnes. Then came the new 170hp 6-tonner, the 6170 with the new driveline, but the star was the big 50kph 6185 with a rated payload of 10-tonnes. Three wheelbases were available; 3.5, 3.8 and 4.2m. Long wheelbases could be adapted for a huge variety of uses, including vegetable picking and processing (with the manned vegetable processing plant mounted on the back, being fed by a conveyor belt from the harvester).

You must remember that at this time JCB were gradually getting out of the load-carrying business, and using their Fastracs as ploughing tractors. Multidrive saw an opportunity and went for it.

That's enough for now, I'm going for a pint.

Topic author
BulldozerD11

Post #15 by BulldozerD11 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:47 pm

Interesting Dirty Digger

How the latest ideas are often recycled ideas of others, and often the man who is first is not the one to profit from it. Like the common misconception that JCB invented the backhoe loader idea. ;)

So a few more model options were offered then.
Interesting Using JD engines rather than Cat. but similar advantages of service backup in most markets world wide, with JD engines being used in quit a few OEM applications.

Cheers (enjoy that pint) :thumbs_up:

Dave
Interested in Tractors, Plant, Heavy Haulage or Steam visit http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/Tractor_%26_Construction_Plant_Wiki
Help document every manufacturer model build, and record every machine in preservation, clubs and events etc.

petop

Post #16 by petop » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:53 pm

Dirty Digger wrote:
XS650 wrote:Used to visit the Thirsk industrial estate where Multidrive was based . Their office was always surrounded by interesting vehicles military , construction and agricultural. But never took any photos :(

If you are interested in Multidrive off-road fuel tankers, here is what is probably the only photograph in existance of all three generations of fuel/water tanker together (including their armoured one).

I'll see what I can dig-up on their agricultural tractors.

Hi, sorry for resurrecting this story but i was involved in the military side of life of the MOD Multidrive tankers. I drove all 3 variants. When i say 3, i mean the original AWD/TM MTM 55, Foden cab'd tanker and then the later Foden 4000 cab'd one. Never got my hands on the Armoured variant. I did trials on all 3 of the above. Sad as it seems i did a lot of miles during testing and remember the registration numbers of 2 of them and this was years ago! I loved them to drive, good powerful engines especially the MTM variant.

allistairc123

Post #17 by allistairc123 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:50 pm

wasnt david j brown involved with muir hill tractors also?

Topic author
BulldozerD11

Post #18 by BulldozerD11 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:17 am

allistairc123 wrote:wasnt david j brown involved with muir hill tractors also?

Yes he joined in 1965 and progresed to MD (source = Ford Tractor Conversions, by Stuart Gibbard). He joined from Northrop and instigated development of the Loading shovel line, and the MH101. Babcock bought MH from Winget in 1968.

DJ Brown developed a tractor trailer dumper (foreruner to the ADT) based on a MH101, MH110 or MH 161, with a weight tranfere hitch design.

Article dose not mention when DJB left but Babcock construction was sold to a subsidary of IBH in 1982 that then whent belly up in 1983 & M-H was bought by Sanderson who then went under in 1990. M-H was then bought by Aveling Barford. AB then sold most of M-H to Lloyd loaders (current owners of the M-H brand) in 1991.

Hope that some use / makes sense.

Dave

modelman093
Flag: Great Britain

Post #19 by modelman093 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:26 pm

[quote="Dirty Digger"]Thanks for the welcome, sorry if this reply is too long, but here goes;.

"Now, did someone ask about Multidrive agricultural tractors...?"

Have recently seen two bulk fertilizer spreaders (bodies reminded me of the Atkinson fertilizer and grit spreaders) with Multidrive on the bonnets and also a high clearance crop sprayer - similar cab with Multidrive across the front.
Where do these come into the equation?
Angus

Topic author
BulldozerD11

Post #20 by BulldozerD11 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:30 pm

Hi Angus

If it was similar to this one http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/File:Mul ... G_4597.jpg on show a LAMMA 2009 then they are the recent products related to the Clayton sprayers and built by the company after Kellands bought them. ( I think from the relaunched company based in Gloucestershire)

Dave

Return to “Companies”