BM Group-one time owners of Benford, Hymac, Blackwood Hodge!

Discuss large and small companies here.

Topic author
IBH

BM Group-one time owners of Benford, Hymac, Blackwood Hodge!

Post #1 by IBH » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:39 pm

Following recent discussions in the Hymac thread about Hymac's short period of ownership under the BM Group, that seemed to throw up more questions than answers:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21&start=280

I've been doing some digging around and have been able to come up with the following snippets if information about the BM Group.

The BM Group were originally known as the 'Braham Millar Group'. In the late 80's and early 90's the BM Group appear to have made a string of acquisitions resulting in a mix of high debt and businesses making little profit or losses. At some point the BM Group became Brunel Holdings PLC an engineering group particularly active in process equipment. The Guiness Peat Group merged with Brunel Holdings to eventually form what is the current Guiness Peat Group.

1990- Brief mention found of BM Group owning Ausa, the Spanish dumper maker.
BM Group makes £58 million offer to buy the Blackwood Hodge, offer accepted BH partially consolidated under BM Plant. Blackwood Hodge was twice the size of the BM Group, when BM acquired it.

1991- talk of possible sale of Blackwood Hodge to directors Brian Thompson, Dick Cameron and a company called Venture Plant.
'BM (Blackwood Hodge)' is UK distributor for Hitachi, Fiat Hitachi, Fiatallis and Terex.

1992- BM Group in talks to buy dumper company Thwaites, walks away after deal referred to Monopolies and Mergers Comission, due to BM already owning Benford (bought in 1986).
BM Group buys Thomas Robinson a Derby based conglomerate who business includes the production of screws and wood working machinery.

1993 BM Group are 'Bridgwater based'.
Owns Benford, Prattens (?), Krass (?). Sells 75% stake in British Building and Engineering Appliances.
Dec 1993- reports heavy losses, sells Blackwod Hodge UK, Blackwood Hodge (Espania), BM Plant (to management, becomes HM Plant), Talboat Diesel and Robinson milling systems.
Refocussing as an engineering group, retains Benford, Titma tip tools and BM Machine.

1994- appears to be in poor financial health, loss making and in negotiation with lenders.
Feb 96, sells remaining stake in Blackwood Hodge (Australia) to Mareubeni and Hitachi.

1994- Benford sold to Powerscreen International for £17.1m

1997 Brunel Holdings sells Brunel America Inc to the Gehl company.
Brunel America owns Mustang, the maufacturer of skid steer loaders.

Sources include Construction News and Contract Journal archives

--
If anyone has any additional information, please share it :)

As a footnote of sorts it appears that Blackwood Hodge's UK operations were bought by Imaco, the plant sales business founded around the time of the demise of the Brown Group by David Brown, with ownership passing to Terex UK.

ChrisMk1

Re: BM Group-one time owners of Benford, Hymac, Blackwood Hodge!

Post #2 by ChrisMk1 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:29 pm

IBH wrote:As a footnote of sorts it appears that Blackwood Hodge's UK operations were bought by Imaco, the plant sales business founded around the time of the demise of the Brown Group by David Brown, with ownership passing to Terex UK.

Don't you mean Gordon - David was DJB Dumptrucks at Washington bought out by CAT

BulldozerD11

Post #3 by BulldozerD11 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:06 am

IBH wrote:Following recent discussions in the Hymac thread about Hymac's short period of ownership under the BM Group, that seemed to throw up more questions than answers:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21&start=280

I've been doing some digging around and have been able to come up with the following snippets if information about the BM Group.

The BM Group were originally known as the 'Braham Millar Group'. In the late 80's and early 90's the BM Group appear to have made a string of acquisitions resulting in a mix of high debt and businesses making little profit or losses. At some point the BM Group became Brunel Holdings PLC an engineering group particularly active in process equipment. The Guiness Peat Group merged with Brunel Holdings to eventually form what is the current Guiness Peat Group.

1990- Brief mention found of BM Group owning Ausa, the Spanish dumper maker.
BM Group makes £58 million offer to buy the Blackwood Hodge, offer accepted BH partially consolidated under BM Plant. Blackwood Hodge was twice the size of the BM Group, when BM acquired it.

1991- talk of possible sale of Blackwood Hodge to directors Brian Thompson, Dick Cameron and a company called Venture Plant.
'BM (Blackwood Hodge)' is UK distributor for Hitachi, Fiat Hitachi, Fiatallis and Terex.

1992- BM Group in talks to buy dumper company Thwaites, walks away after deal referred to Monopolies and Mergers Comission, due to BM already owning Benford (bought in 1986).
BM Group buys Thomas Robinson a Derby based conglomerate who business includes the production of screws and wood working machinery.

1993 BM Group are 'Bridgwater based'.
Owns Benford, Prattens (?), Krass (?). Sells 75% stake in British Building and Engineering Appliances.
Dec 1993- reports heavy losses, sells Blackwod Hodge UK, Blackwood Hodge (Espania), BM Plant (to management, becomes HM Plant), Talboat Diesel and Robinson milling systems.
Refocussing as an engineering group, retains Benford, Titma tip tools and BM Machine.

1994- appears to be in poor financial health, loss making and in negotiation with lenders.
Feb 96, sells remaining stake in Blackwood Hodge (Australia) to Mareubeni and Hitachi.

1994- Benford sold to Powerscreen International for £17.1m

1997 Brunel Holdings sells Brunel America Inc to the Gehl company.
Brunel America owns Mustang, the maufacturer of skid steer loaders.

Sources include Construction News and Contract Journal archives

--
If anyone has any additional information, please share it :)

As a footnote of sorts it appears that Blackwood Hodge's UK operations were bought by Imaco, the plant sales business founded around the time of the demise of the Brown Group by David Brown, with ownership passing to Terex UK.

V Interesting IBH :thumbs_up:

Guinness peat used to be in Aircraft leasing IIRC.

Heard of a Tit(p)man Tooling Do carbide tipped turning tools and router bits. (used to see little astra vans/cars with graphic on around here, think it was a rep living down the estate near me)

Robinsons at Derby that I have heard of are Steel Fabricators and errectors
Never heard of Brunel group !!

Power screen/(Terex) - Sold Moffet who we were talking about the other day to Hiab apparently in 2000

http://www.hiab.co.uk/content/s15/About ... 9216758839

Any info IBH on your Namesake IBH Group?
Other than they were a German group (mini conglomerate) who went down when a bank went bust in 1983 and GM reposed part of Terex off the receiver, Terex USA going into Chapter 11 protection. Modern Terex is Northwest Engineering who took over Terex USA and bought Terex UK off GM (after they re took control).
(thats about all I know on them). (part based on Euclid history from an MBI book).

Dave

Were RiteMix part of Sheepbridge engineering ?
Interested in Tractors, Plant, Heavy Haulage or Steam visit http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/Tractor_%26_Construction_Plant_Wiki
Help document every manufacturer model build, and record every machine in preservation, clubs and events etc.

Topic author
IBH

Post #4 by IBH » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:15 pm

The best account of the rise-and-fall of IBH Holding AG, i've seen thus far is in the book 'Yellow Steel: The story of earthmoving equipment' by William R Haycroft:

BulldozerD11

Post #5 by BulldozerD11 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:27 am

IBH wrote:The best account of the rise-and-fall of IBH Holding AG, i've seen thus far is in the book 'Yellow Steel: The story of earthmoving equipment' by William R Haycroft:

Hi IBH

Sounds Interesting, I see if its on one of the book stands at Tractor World.

Dave
Interested in Tractors, Plant, Heavy Haulage or Steam visit http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/Tractor_%26_Construction_Plant_Wiki
Help document every manufacturer model build, and record every machine in preservation, clubs and events etc.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #6 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:21 am

IBH one small snippet of info I can offer you is that Blackwood Hodge were indeed owned by IMACO I can't be certain but I'm pretty sure this happened around 1993.
I also know that BH at that time were also an agent for Samsung excavators as well as Terex, I used to regularly call at BH's depot up in Barnsley.

Jeremy

Topic author
IBH

Post #7 by IBH » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:31 pm

From Companies House online webcheck service:
Name & Registered Office:
IMACO BLACKWOOD HODGE LIMITED
C/O HOWES PERCIVAL LLP
252 UPPER THIRD STREET
GRAFTON GATE EAST
MILTON KEYNES
MK9 1DZ
Company No. 00480679
Previous Names:
Date of change Previous Name
01/01/1989 JOHN BLACKWOOD HODGE & CO LIMITED
08/09/1993 BLACKWOOD HODGE U K LIMITED
15/11/1991 BM (BLACKWOOD HODGE) LTD.
04/01/1991 BLACKWOOD HODGE UK LIMITED

38RBSII

Re: BM Group-one time owners of Benford, Hymac, Blackwood Ho

Post #8 by 38RBSII » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:13 am

Quarry plant manufacturers Goodwin Barsby were also part of the BM Group and were sold to the Swedish company Bolliden Allis in 1988 or 89.

XCAV8TOR

Re: BM Group-one time owners of Benford, Hymac, Blackwood Ho

Post #9 by XCAV8TOR » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:23 am

I'll give you Gordon Browns mobile number if anyone would like to contact him ...... Gordon is very helpful

Return to “Companies”