Dowsett/ RM Douglas

Discuss large and small companies here.

donbuz
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Dowsett/ RM Douglas

Post #41 by donbuz » Sat May 18, 2013 4:55 pm

peter nolan wrote:Hi Tony (Dowsett Boy)
Who was your plant manager? I worked with a few, Charlie Robinson, George Rollins and 5years with Bill Smith, who was the only bloke I know who would get changed, then get washed and shaved.
Regards
Pete

i worked with all 3 on m1 rotherham barnsley and bill smith on skelmersdale by pass and a19 in 1960s/70s

Dowsett Boy

Post #42 by Dowsett Boy » Sun May 19, 2013 9:15 pm

peter nolan wrote:Hi Tony (Dowsett Boy)
Who was your plant manager? I worked with a few, Charlie Robinson, George Rollins and 5years with Bill Smith, who was the only bloke I know who would get changed, then get washed and shaved.
Regards
Pete

John Tarn plant manager a right poser.
Mark Kettlewell best boss Ive ever had.plant manager concrete train.
Bob Salt transport manager, Norman Dent (blunders) small plant foreman,Tom Reynolds heavy plant foreman.

moxymanchris

Post #43 by moxymanchris » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:09 pm

Hi Good to go back in time, I had some AEC dumptrucks working on the Wrotham bypass for Dowsetts in my younger days. The driver of the AEC was travelling up the hill with a load of chalk missed a gear so it ran backwards ( brakes weren't good in those days) I can't remember how far he traveled but he managed to steer it still going backwards off the haul road into a lane onto the recreation ground turning the truck onto its side. The chalk went every where, no one seemed too worried about it and Dowsetts sorted the mess out thankfully. I can also remember I went into the workshop, the fitter had made an oil burner/heater I had never seen anything like it before and was amazed how good it was. Does anyone remember the AEC's I bought them off Seymores (Bill) they had taken them over from Dick Hampton in the early 70's and do you know who the fitter was who made the Worksop heater. I remember John Tarn he went down to Ashford M20 I think I saw him again somewhere but can't recall where but he never gave me any more work!

Dowsett Boy

Post #44 by Dowsett Boy » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:38 pm

Hi Chris I remember you from the Tarmac section of the M20 you had some Moxys on hire.
Remember you arriving on site with two empty 45 gallon barrels on a trailer .If I recall correctly they were full when you left .
I was on the lube truck at the time everyone was happy .
Hard to believe it was nearly 35 years ago.

Dowsett Boy

Post #45 by Dowsett Boy » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:42 pm

Can anyone recall Abo real name Graham Taylor from Harlow a real character
After Dowsetts believe he was on Birses .

moxymanchris

Post #46 by moxymanchris » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:05 pm

Dowsett Boy wrote:Hi Chris I remember you from the Tarmac section of the M20 you had some Moxys on hire.
Remember you arriving on site with two empty 45 gallon barrels on a trailer .If I recall correctly they were full when you left .
I was on the lube truck at the time everyone was happy .
Hard to believe it was nearly 35 years ago.

Denty

Post #47 by Denty » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:23 pm

peter nolan wrote:Seeing Mark Kettlewells name on one of the forums it reminded me about his dog Toby and Marks wellies, Then I started thinking about others I worked with at Dowsetts Albert Turner, David Jones, Glen Fielding, John Lavender. also Chris Palmer from Dowsett Piling and "Cat" Jack Walsh who I worked with at MK-Shand, Nacap Algeria, Shinco Nigeria, and Ittalmomtaggi in Bangladesh, he came from Leeds lived in Nether Kellet and was a mate of Jimmy Saville in his youth.

There's a picture of Toby on the Dowsett facebook page!

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #48 by FOWLER MAN » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:52 pm

modelman093 wrote:From a different era - Dowsetts had some Vickers Vigors and Onions boxes on the original section of the M1.

Heres one on the M1 job.
Dowsett Vickers & Onions box.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
modelman093

Post #49 by modelman093 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:45 am

I believe that RM Douglas were the main contractor for the Glasgow Caterpillar factory - alas, long since demolished.

davemadden

Post #50 by davemadden » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:19 pm

Hi
Dowsetts must have got into construction at some point. They built the R H Patterson Ford dealership on Scotswood Rd, Newcastle.

Return to “Companies”