komatsu d475-1

Re: S.E. Davis

Post #21 by komatsu d475-1 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:09 am

Cheers Jeremy,looks like a real goldmine here :thumbs_up:

Hugh Jaleak
Flag: Great Britain

Post #22 by Hugh Jaleak » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:37 am

Few happy memories surfaced looking at those. Thanks guys for some fantastic photography. I learnt on a 805B back in 1988, and subsequently watched a local Demo contractor take down the Co-op in the town centre. Fantastic old building, should never have been knocked down. Still, it put up one hell of a fight! He always used old JCB kit, got through a 5C and a 807 before finishing off the job with a 806C.

chainmaker

Post #23 by chainmaker » Fri May 22, 2009 10:16 am

hi all
new to the site ,this is my first post on here(cant hear any bugles so it aint the last post).Started work in 1964
with richards and wallington as a app fitter worked for a few plant firms incuding Modern plant sales oldbury.This brings me to my Q- is the JCB in pics realy a 6 not a 6c does it have a 4 cyl perkins (not a 6354)and very narrow tracks (tumblers pads and pins) if it does then its a real rare beast only a handfull made (one for each dealer) and didnt sell very well as they didnt dig much deeper than a 4c and the 6c came out soon after.Im now sort of retired after heart surgery new valves made of some sort of tin runs a treat now a bit noisy tho told doc I think the tappets need adjusting still he knows best.Dont like these computers much (cant see anything moving and where do you check the oil) they wont catch on just a fad.
you all go carefull now
regards ron

John Gaunt
Flag: Great Britain

Post #24 by John Gaunt » Fri May 22, 2009 5:31 pm

chainmaker wrote:hi all
new to the site ,this is my first post on here(cant hear any bugles so it aint the last post).Started work in 1964
with richards and wallington as a app fitter worked for a few plant firms incuding Modern plant sales oldbury.This brings me to my Q- is the JCB in pics realy a 6 not a 6c does it have a 4 cyl perkins (not a 6354)and very narrow tracks (tumblers pads and pins) if it does then its a real rare beast only a handfull made (one for each dealer) and didnt sell very well as they didnt dig much deeper than a 4c and the 6c came out soon after.Im now sort of retired after heart surgery new valves made of some sort of tin runs a treat now a bit noisy tho told doc I think the tappets need adjusting still he knows best.Dont like these computers much (cant see anything moving and where do you check the oil) they wont catch on just a fad.
you all go carefull now
regards ron

Hello Ron, and welcome to CMN.
Don't worry about the valves, the're probably the new hydraulic self adjusting type :lol: :lol:

chainmaker

Post #25 by chainmaker » Fri May 22, 2009 11:51 pm

thanks for the welcome.I supose the time to worry about valves is when they stop making a noise :lol:
ron

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #26 by Jeremy Rowland » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:13 am

Hi Ron.

Hope your enjoying CMN I've just seen your very interesting question on the JCB6c?
I was not aware that JCB had only made four JCB 6 machines and this one has only got 6 on the counterweight and not 6C so it may very well be one of the four machines that you have spoken about.
I only knew main the difference between a 6C and a 6D was that the 6C had a cast pad undercarriage whilst the 6D had the steel roller and bolt on pad type undercarriage.
Very interesting next time I go to Davis I will try and have a look to see which engine its got in it.

Jeremy

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #27 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:50 pm

Well I took the trouble to look under the engine cover on the old JCB and yes it does have a four cylinder Perkins in it so that makes it a JCB 6 and not a JCB 6C.

Jeremy

chainmaker

Post #28 by chainmaker » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:02 pm

yes that makes it a 6 if its the one that modern plant sales sold (jcb main agent oldbury) then it was new to midland earthmoving blowers green dudley
ron

MGI

Post #29 by MGI » Wed May 04, 2011 7:49 pm

I used to work for BCHC out of Tyseley in the sixties, always remember that no matter what time you went in the yard, (however early it might be) Roy Richards motor was already parked in his bay and he was hard at it! Could have been half five or six - he was there... don't know what time he finished though. I will get my lad to paste? some of my old photo's when I've sorted them out. Does anyone remember John Edkins, he used to be top cat on the hire desk, he lived in Stratford, he is doubtless long gone, he never stopped smoking, probably stressed out running the hire desk!

Return to “Companies”