Dick Hampton

Discuss large and small companies here.

bob-s

Re: Dick Hampton

Post #141 by bob-s » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:14 pm

Duncan - the first thing we did with the tea buses (in photo) when they came to site was to rip out the Bedford engines and send them back to Bentley for spares for the Bedford trucks! Yours truly is on the bottom left of the group on the front of the 631B!

bob-s

Post #142 by bob-s » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:31 pm

Another photo from the M4/4 Wickham to Theale section. Ollie the service engineer can be just made out standing on the right hand side.

Bob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bob-s

Post #143 by bob-s » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:46 pm

Having spent time at M4/4 and then a spell at Bentley repairing 631 torque dividers and then a few months on the Cheltenham- Gloucester M5 (tractors and boxes digging out a slip at Upton-St Leonards plus some final top soiling work with 22RB), I was then sent to the Morriston By-pass. See photos. More to come plus some reminiscing when time premits.

Bob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

hoggie

Post #144 by hoggie » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:04 pm

I spent a season on the other end of this section of the m4, Jonny Lylac was the section foreman Tommy Breun and Bennie Stafford werw the slashers, Pat Wiesner and Cheyanne(Tony Dufferty) on the D9 pushers.wide load,Terry Mumsford, tarmac and the frog all from Devon and myself on 631b.Jack who was Tommys father-in-law was teaboy, s12 water bowser and 14e grader driver.The tug of war team on saturday afternoons, against the locals at the village fetes were good craic making the daily mirror in the final.Jacko and the wide load tossed the famous referee in the river anyone remember this.

bob-s

Post #145 by bob-s » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:21 pm

I remember that we were sent to collect some Cat 631’s and I think it was Tommy Breun that came with us at the time. There was a need for more scrapers at the M4/4 Hermitage site and the Seaforth Dock site was getting towards the end of its muck shift. So the 631’s were tramped down to Bowmaker Plant at Cannock on the first day to be collected by us on the second day and tramped to the M4/4 site. I was given the movement order and instructions by Alex Skepper that under no circumstances were we to stop at a pub for lunch! So with some drivers and, I think, Tommy off we went with me driving the Hampton transit van. All went well until we were tanking along the motorway passing the Frankley Services when a stray dog ran out in front of the van – so its swerve left or right – luckily I got this right much to the relief of all in the back! Anyway we collected the scrapers and tramped them by road all the way back to the M4. This was on Friday 13th November 1970 – I know this is right because I still have the Notification of Abnormal Load!

duffety

Post #146 by duffety » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:10 am

Hi my name is Shane Duffety ,my dad was Cheyenne (Tony Duffety), Dick Hampton and CA Blackwell. I remember living on the sites in caravans most my young life, playing on the M4 /M5 whilst under construction, rides on Graders/D8and9s/ and dads new komatso. Never did ride a scraper but remember them big tyres. So may I ask if anyone remembers some good stories or has some photos of my dad on any machines. I do have a newspaper clipping of a story about The boys on the bypass.

duffety

Post #147 by duffety » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:30 am

The Learner Driver

Chris.B
Flag: Great Britain

Post #148 by Chris.B » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:26 pm

John penfold wrote:....
Site plant managers were Phil Walton,the Skepper brothers. Gordon Kite .Arther Toon Don Hughes and "Mac" Macall

Phil Walton was the regional plant manager for GL Plant during late '70's and early '80's, working out of the Melksham depot. I met him regularly whilst working for Gleeson on a series of tip jobs in S. Wales. Another ex Hampton man was our G.F. Dennis Barlow, anyone know him?
Cheers
Chris.

68a

Post #149 by 68a » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:36 pm

worked with Tommy Bruin at A55 for Blackwells 1997.is he still going?
Last worked with Pat Wisner at Wardle's on a 155.He let it go into the river at Winsford.Drunk again.He turned up a few years later for Kevin Morgan or John McLaughlin on a tractor and box but was soon sacked.About 2000 or 1999 ish.

KWDLDK

Post #150 by KWDLDK » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:54 pm

68a wrote:worked with Tommy Bruin at A55 for Blackwells 1997.is he still going?
Last worked with Pat Wisner at Wardle's on a 155.He let it go into the river at Winsford.Drunk again.He turned up a few years later for Kevin Morgan or John McLaughlin on a tractor and box but was soon sacked.About 2000 or 1999 ish.

I knew Pat Wisener myself around the late 90,s time, he was driving a D8 of Packie Mallon on hire to McAlpine at Bolton behind the new football ground, later he was working for Armstrong, last time I saw him he had just bought a Terex/Euclid tractor, that was around 2001
Last I heard of him he had been mugged somewhere around Partington, the shites that mugged him would not have done it when he was a younger man, he would of ate them without salt

Return to “Companies”