V8 FORDSON POWER MAJOR

Are you working on a certain project? Renovating an old machine?
Tell us about it here and show us the progress.

Topic author
J. Calderwood

V8 FORDSON POWER MAJOR

Post #1 by J. Calderwood » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:32 pm

im in the process of fitting a v8 perkins engine into a Fordson Power Major. :D but im unsure what clutch i should use and how big the adapoter plate has to be. :think: i cant find any information on this on the internet anywere at all.

many thanks for any information that might help me :)

Kenham

Re: V8 FORDSON POWER MAJOR

Post #2 by Kenham » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:48 pm

As big a one as possible ! When we put a six cylinder engine in a Major we just used the clutch which was on the engine, which was out of a lorry and about 120hp. It worked for a long time and eventually destroyed the pto gears, but the clutch never gave trouble. I dont think you should use the double clutch from the Power Major as it probably wont last long, I would go for the biggest single plate clutch that will fit in the bellhousing. Ken

martyn williams

Post #3 by martyn williams » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:36 am

I would go along with Ken on that,I would not use a duel clutch on this engine modification. Please post photos on this interesting project :thumbup:
Martyn

Julian

Post #4 by Julian » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:54 pm

B100 LOADER wrote:I would go along with Ken on that,I would not use a duel clutch on this engine modification. Please post photos on this interesting project :thumbup:
Martyn

That would depend on what you had in mind for the tractor after the modification.

If you wanted to start pulling 6 furrow ploughs or going tractor pulling then i'd agree. If OTOH, you just wanted to tool around with it at the local show or do the odd tractor road run then I'm certain the original clutch would be more than up to the job.

Julian.

Topic author
J. Calderwood

Post #5 by J. Calderwood » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:44 pm

im planning on using it round the farm and take it to local vintage rallies etc. il not be tractor pulling with it.

i dont no how 2 upload pic :(

Julian

Post #6 by Julian » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:48 pm

J. Calderwood wrote:im planning on using it round the farm and take it to local vintage rallies etc. il not be tractor pulling with it.

i dont no how 2 upload pic :(

To post pics, first upload them to an image hosting site like photobucket and then just post the image url's here. It's fairly intuitive, but first thing is to create an account at (for instance) photobucket and upload the pictures onto it.

Julian.

Kenham

Post #7 by Kenham » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:36 pm

Yes it will probably be ok to use the dual clutch but there is always that one time when you want to see what it will do. And what it will do is explode the clutch into many parts as you will have about 95 more horses going through it if it is a standard v8 perkins, more if a turbo.Be good to see some pictures as I keep thinking of doing another 6 cyl conversion in the winch tractor. Ken

Topic author
J. Calderwood

Post #8 by J. Calderwood » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:43 pm

i bought this major with a six cylinder engine in it. but always wanted a v8 major. so im changing this one, but will probly end up buying a backend and gearbox someday and refitting the six cylinder.

do any of you no what width the adaptor plate has to be? ave everything else sorted! but cant find any info on the adaptor plate.

Topic author
J. Calderwood

Post #9 by J. Calderwood » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:59 pm

:) Major when i bought it. not in pretty shape :lol:

then just different photo took while striping it down :bow:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Julian

Post #10 by Julian » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:50 pm

Kenham wrote:Yes it will probably be ok to use the dual clutch but there is always that one time when you want to see what it will do. And what it will do is explode the clutch into many parts as you will have about 95 more horses going through it if it is a standard v8 perkins, more if a turbo.Be good to see some pictures as I keep thinking of doing another 6 cyl conversion in the winch tractor. Ken

Remember that a clutch isn't in the least bit interested in horsepower. It's torque that is the factor to be concerned with. Power is just the product of torque and RPM. The notion that it will 'explode' is just hyperbole, all that will probably happen is that it will slip due to it not being able to handle (if used) the extra torque from the new engine fitment.

I wonder if you could modify the clutch with heavier springs? I think that's all Massey do on their 100 series tractors.....

Julian

Return to “Projects”