V8 FORDSON POWER MAJOR

Are you working on a certain project? Renovating an old machine?
Tell us about it here and show us the progress.

martyn williams

Re: V8 FORDSON POWER MAJOR

Post #11 by martyn williams » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:52 am

There are heavy duty clutch plate / springs available for the tractor,I did have a contact in Devon who is well up on Fordsons.Will try to find his phone number :think: The Fordson is a pretty sturdy tractor,the back ends are well caperble of taking the extra power,the duel clutch plates have to be set up right, .Just use a good heavy duty standard assembley if just used for road runs etc
Martyn

martyn williams

Post #12 by martyn williams » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:58 am

The good thing about the Fordsons now is that you can get new nose cones and tinwork and other parts easily This is a good project,looking forward to seeing its progress :thumbup:
Martyn

modelman093
Flag: Great Britain

Post #13 by modelman093 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:41 pm

This months Classic Tractor has articles on several Fordson conversions and Tractor and Machinery one also.

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #14 by FOWLER MAN » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:13 pm

[

Remember that a clutch isn't in the least bit interested in horsepower. It's torque that is the factor to be concerned with. Power is just the product of torque and RPM. The notion that it will 'explode' is just hyperbole, all that will probably happen is that it will slip due to it not being able to handle (if used) the extra torque from the new engine fitment.

I wonder if you could modify the clutch with heavier springs? I think that's all Massey do on their 100 series tractors.....

Julian[/quote]

Hi Julian,
Good to see the sensible approach. There must be a formula of some sort, (friction area x spring pressure = torque transmittable). :think: :lol: At worse it would only slip. :roll:
I beleive heavier duty clutches, (With heavier springs :?: :?: ), were available for loading shovel applications. I seem to remember fitting a special H.D. clutch in a Bray Loader years ago.
Fred

martyn williams

Post #15 by martyn williams » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:13 pm

Found that telephone number,01548 521429 His name is Richard.He is well into Fordson tractors and did have a lot of Fordson spares.
I remember that the clutch springs were colour coded .I think heavy duty are blue.
Martyn

Julian

Post #16 by Julian » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:09 pm

B100 LOADER wrote:I remember that the clutch springs were colour coded .I think heavy duty are blue.
Martyn

Something similar on Masseys I think, not only are the springs coloured, but the quantity of them used varies too.

The British Farming Forum has a vintage bit that has one or two knowledgeable regulars, I'd suggest asking the question there too. (but remembering that everyone will probably chip in with plenty of less informed comment!) Having said that BFF has been down for few days as it got hacked.

Julian.

Topic author
J. Calderwood

Post #17 by J. Calderwood » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:44 pm

i put heavy springs into the clutch of a massey 390T for a friend he was using it with a loader. after fitting the springs the clutch was very hard 2 push in, had 2 split it again and fit orignial springs.

fink il try and find find a HD clutch if i can!

we bit of process been made, just after makin a frame for the engine and going to try and get it started tomorrow evening.

Kenham

Post #18 by Kenham » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:51 pm

Well I obviously don't know what I am talking about, but if you have never seen a fordson dual clutch that has " let go " then dont believe that 3 times the hp will only make it slip. The dual clutch will end up in many parts when the levers and the turrets etc stop holding hands. Of course fitting stronger springs can make this worse as it will not slip at all. The second weak point of extra hp in a fordson major is the pto gearbox as all the bits become many more little bits and in turn fall out the bottom. And all this was with just 120 hp six cylinders, 140 hp won't make that much more damage but it might make it happen quicker. When an unstopable force ie big engine meets up with an unmovable object ie work something will give ,the original engine will stall the bigger one might not. You can call it HP,Torque ,RPM, you can call it what you want but the bigger the engine the more damage can be done! All this in a tractor designed for about 45 hp, something will give big time if allowed to. The next weakest point will be the diff lock if on a SuperMajor, a man from Ford told us the back end of a standard diesel major should be good for 360 hp. I have been bought up with these tractors and Kent and Sussex has probably seen more diesel majors an nuffield tractors die sad deaths in the woods than any place on earth. I consider the Fordson Major to be about the best tractor ever made and would not be without one.

Topic author
J. Calderwood

Post #19 by J. Calderwood » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:25 pm

engine im fitting is 200hp. im friends with couple of boys that do tractor pulling and they are working with bout 400+ hp with standard gear box and back end, they never give any bother. and the clutch they have is bout £1000+

martyn williams

Post #20 by martyn williams » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:48 pm

I have seen what can happen when the Super major is worked very hard when used for pulling rail wagons. The clutch on the Muir Hill wagon shunter whent bang .When stripped down it was in many bits.I was givern that wagon shunter,I did a deal on a Cat 5J in exchange.A few years back I was looking through tractor and machinery magazine.In one of the tractors for sale adverts,the Muir Hill was up for sale by a dealer in Anglesea. BR had a few problems with that tractor from newr,one of the outdoor plant fitters had problems with it starting.The tractor was put out of use and left,till I got hold of it :lol: On closer inspection I noticed that the tractor did not have a lift pump fitted.My boss let me have the tractor, I fitted a lift pump,the tractor started fine,as Fordsons do. :thumbup:
I wonder where it is now,Its grey,the cab looks like a steel box.Its fitted with smaller than standard rear tyres. Anyone out there knows its whereabouts ?
Martyn

Return to “Projects”