Some Mini Projects

Are you working on a certain project? Renovating an old machine?
Tell us about it here and show us the progress.

Topic author
FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Some Mini Projects

Post #1 by FOWLER MAN » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:14 am

Hi all,
I decided to equip a van as a mobile workshop to work on restorations at customers premises.
Clearing ot my old yard I dug out an old portable Atlas Copco 2 stage compressor.
It had lain in a corner for about 25 years with a terminaly ill Honda 6.5 h.p. engine, could be 40 years old.
I thought it may be usefull for air tools, spraying and tyre inflation so I've given it a transplant and overhaul.
The new engine is an 8 h.p. Loncin which only cost £174 including VAT. and 12 month guarantee.
Before anyone says "Chinese Rubish," They are Honda design made under licence. I put a small one on a Bell mixer four years ago and have had no problem.
I had to bore out the pulley to fit the larger engine shaft, drill and move the mountings and buy a new set of belts.
I don't know the output but it easily runs two spray guns and half inch drive air tools continuously without coming up for breath.
Anyway here are a few pics.
00689_Capture.jpg
00695_Capture.jpg
00696_Capture.jpg

Next I rescued an old Max Arc 200 amp welder which is certainly 40 plus years old and had a JLO 11 h.p. two stroke engine which had died years back.
I bought another new Loncin engine for this one, this time an 11 h.p. unit for £204 including VAT.
Theres a bit more work entailed in doing this one. I had to turn out a sandwich plate to position and align the engine and make a base plate to mount it. I have bought a new coupling and had to press my 70 year old lathe into service. I hope to find time to finish it this week.
A few pics of progress so far.
00700_Capture.jpg
00697_Capture.JPG
00702_Capture.jpg

Fred
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ian Fletcher1970
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Some Mini Projects

Post #2 by Ian Fletcher1970 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:00 pm

Hi Fred,
The compressor looks a nice job :thumbup: Your 70 year old lathe makes my 47 year old myford a spring chicken :D :D

Topic author
FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #3 by FOWLER MAN » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:20 am

Thanks for the reply Ian, a few more pics below, and the good news, "it works." :!: :!: :thumbup:
It hasn't produced any power for all of 25 years but I put a set of leads on it tonight and it leapt into action, I'm over the moon. :thumbup: :lol: :lol:
Just the spray job now. :D
Fred
00703_Capture.jpg
00707_Capture.jpg
00708_Capture.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

modelman093
Flag: Great Britain

Post #4 by modelman093 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:33 pm

FOWLER MAN wrote:Thanks for the reply Ian, a few more pics below, and the good news, "it works." :!: :!: :thumbup:
It hasn't produced any power for all of 25 years but I put a set of leads on it tonight and it leapt into action, I'm over the moon. :thumbup: :lol: :lol:
Just the spray job now. :D
Fred
00703_Capture.jpg
00707_Capture.jpg
00708_Capture.jpg

Nothing wrong with Loncin, I am told by a contact at the UK importers and distributors that Loncin used to manufacture for Honda and that with one or two cosmetic changes they are allowed to manufacture the same engines under their own brand - most parts are interchangeable. On a visit to to the Loncin manufacturing plant my informant saw some familiar looking engines - BMW lumps being made for BM by Loncin!

Return to “Projects”