1938 Leyland Lynx Diesel.

Are you working on a certain project? Renovating an old machine?
Tell us about it here and show us the progress.

Topic author
FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #1 by FOWLER MAN » Tue May 22, 2012 6:32 pm

Hi,
Yesterday I was privileged to have worked on this "Unique Leyland Diesel"
It is a 4.7 litre six cyl. engine of 1935 design. It's an indirect injection engine and surprisingly for the time has a crossflow head. I beleive it to be the last surviving example.
The lorry belongs to a local collector who has been 30 years getting it to its present stage, and I must say the work he has done is brilliant.
He is not a mechanic so I was asked to check out the engine and get it running.
The man who rebuilt the engine some 10 years ago has sadly been called to the grand workshop above.
He had line bored the engine and fitted it with shells in place of the original white meatal bearings. He used shells from an Intrnational tractor and the valves from a Cummins L10 as these were closest he could find to the original sizes.
The engine has been dry stored since then and yesterday was to be the "big day."
I had checked the timing as the pump had been off, carried out a few repairs to the fuel system and after a little persuasion it lept into life. It sounded very sweet.
This was short lived however because the oil guage we fitted showed zero pressure and I had to shut it down immediately.
Checked it out and the oil pump is deffinitely not pulling oil, been doing a little job on a Cat today but I'm back there tomorrow and I'm going to attempt to prime the pump without a stripdown.
It's a long pull up from the strainer to the pump in this engine and I'm hoping if the pump has dried out that a drop of oil might help it seal and kick it off.
"Any suggestions are welcome."
Progress report to follow.
Fred
00410_Capture.jpg
00409_Capture.jpg
00407_Capture.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

martyn williams

Re: 1938 Leyland Lynx Diesel.

Post #2 by martyn williams » Tue May 22, 2012 7:11 pm

:thumbup:
Let us know how you get on
Martyn

Tim_Arnold
Flag: Great Britain

Post #3 by Tim_Arnold » Tue May 22, 2012 8:11 pm

For rover v8s the trick is to pack the pump with Vaseline., good luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Tim Arnold
http://www.parklandsholidays.co.uk
JCB 3D3, Benford 1ton Dumper, Benford Pedestrian Roller.

Julian

Post #4 by Julian » Tue May 22, 2012 8:49 pm

Is there a way that you can turn the oil pump with (say) a battery powered drill? I remember that on the 1850 Dolomite engine, with the water pump out it could be turned with a long piece of hex bar in a drill.

Julian.

Mark.Rive

Post #5 by Mark.Rive » Tue May 22, 2012 9:16 pm

Julian wrote:Is there a way that you can turn the oil pump with (say) a battery powered drill? I remember that on the 1850 Dolomite engine, with the water pump out it could be turned with a long piece of hex bar in a drill.

Julian.

Yeah, used to do that on V8 and V6 chevy's, via the dizzy hole. Had to use an electric drill though, battery one would'nt do it :doh: Mark

essexpete

Post #6 by essexpete » Tue May 22, 2012 11:58 pm

Thanks for the photos Fred and good luck, that willbe quite something out on the road.

go back

Post #7 by go back » Wed May 23, 2012 7:25 pm

ours but its petrol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #8 by FOWLER MAN » Wed May 23, 2012 11:48 pm

Hi All,
THANKS FOR THE REPLIES. :thumbup:
I got to thinking about this engine and decided it was too precious to take a chance. :think:
I dropped the sump this morning and stripped out the oil pump. A residue of oil in the bottom of the sump had previously turned to a jelly and completely coated the suction strainer. :doh:
I gave it a good clean, primed and re-fitted the oil pump and that sorted the problem. :thumbup:
The engine runs sweet as a nut and oil pressure is 50 poumds allmost instantly when starting. :D
More pics. to follow.
"ANOTHER HAPPY ENDING" :!: :!:
Thanks for the pic. Go Back. My man has a petrol Lynx too, probably his next project.
Fred

lynxman

Post #9 by lynxman » Thu May 24, 2012 10:44 pm

go back wrote:ours but its petrol

Hi go back, I remember you Lynx coming to a rally in Cardiff on the back of an Octopus or an A.E.C.Mammoth Major 8 wheeler
at that time they belonged to a friend of mine, David Hoare from Chepstow, The Lynx was in a Military Museum in North Devon
for a long while before moving with some other vehicles that David owned, and went to a bus museum in Scotland
the next time it popped up it was restored and photographed on the Kirkby Stephen Rally in 2011, then this year now with a go faster yellow stripe.
My petrol Lynx that Fowler man mentioned, is a sister vehicle of yours being a WDZ1 army lorry with a general service body
it has been on the to do list since it was purchased approx 15 years ago, it was very complete,but like myself was worn out
cheers Richard

martyn williams

Post #10 by martyn williams » Fri May 25, 2012 12:53 pm

Thats great news Fred. It just goes to show that if a vehicle has been stood for years,the lubricating oil degrades.Old oil can attack bearings causing damage or turn to a jelly like substance as in this case.I can remember working on an old Perkins diesel engine and had trouble draining its oil.I ended up taking off the sump on that engine and was shocked to see the condition of the oil.
Oil in the Perkins engines always seem to get blacker quicker than most diesels
Martyn

Return to “Projects”