THWAITES ALLDIG 100

Are you working on a certain project? Renovating an old machine?
Tell us about it here and show us the progress.

Topic author
newjcb123uk

THWAITES ALLDIG 100

Post #1 by newjcb123uk » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:56 pm

Thought I'd share one of my first (or at least totally finished) projects that I started and finished last year. A Thwaites Alldig 100. I really love this little machine which incidently wrecked the rear axle recently - They are totally useless on anything wetter than moist tissue paper and there are major criticism's on useability of all aspects of the machine. They never made Thwaites millions and the concept was quickly enhanced and made better by other manufacturers. However as a dinky tool to mess around on and help collect the grass clippings or even dig the odd post hole its the right machine for me. I also love the colour which was very similar to JCB backhoe loaders at the time. The cab asthetics is the thing that gets most people talking - everybody that's seen it thinks the machine is from the 1970s because of the boring squareness of the cab.

The 3 cylinder perkins engine is so underpowererd that to change up into 3rd gear is only possible downhill, The backhoe levers are so short that you are left with the muscles in your hands throbbing after a half hour. The gear shift (clutch drive) is like an old JCB 3C between your knees and is a pain if you have to move it at all. The sideshift is held by 4 large bolts which are something you would never dream of loosening so it's kept in the same position 99% of the time. Using the loader is not pleasent with 3 levers to negotiate.

However I still love the machine as a collectors item just because it's one of those machines you would have loved as a kid - just the right size.

Hope you all enjoy the pictures. :D Chris.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"A man reaps what he sows"

martyn williams

Re: THWAITES ALLDIG 100

Post #2 by martyn williams » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:29 pm

Hello Chris
We had one of these at the Pontypridd show last year.They look a pretty usefull machine and a great project.In the picture you can just see the Thwaites.
I have lots of projects on the go,they are Btd6 Drotts,Caterpillar 933g IH 125A Drott and a Aveling GA roller
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stu

Post #3 by stu » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:39 pm

Hi Chris came across your pics of your alldig after a google search.
I would like to restore mine as she has worked her heart out for me the last couple of years. I would like to have a chat if poss about how you went about it etc, if you could drop me a line.
thanks
Stu Hicks.
stu.hicks@tiscali.co.uk

cyrilgammell

Post #4 by cyrilgammell » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:28 am

Hi guys,

I have a thwaites alldig minus the backhoe , any idea where i could find a backhoe for it ?

regards,

cyril gammell

atb services

Post #5 by atb services » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:25 pm

Hi there just brought Thwaites Alldig 100 rear axle is shot any ideas where I could find one???

Thanks

Adam

XS650
Flag: Great Britain

Post #6 by XS650 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:21 am

Were the 4wd ones much better ?
Not all those who wander are lost.

Topic author
newjcb123uk

Post #7 by newjcb123uk » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:12 pm

atb services wrote:Hi there just brought Thwaites Alldig 100 rear axle is shot any ideas where I could find one???

Thanks

Adam

Most had trouble with rear axles because of all the undue stresses and strains put on them. The axles were borrowed from a 2-3 ton dumper and wern't up to take the abuse of an excavator and loading shovel.

Whenever I needed a replacement I contacted JOHN LEWIS - 07860 487105 he usually has an advert in classic plant mag.

Lets see a picture of this Alldig machine then :thumbs_up:
"A man reaps what he sows"

Robban_C

Post #8 by Robban_C » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:15 pm

I found one for sale on the web. Nice condition.
Volvo EC45 PRO -06
Volvo EC35 -01
MB-Trac 800 turbo
Bigab 10-14 hook lift trailer
MF 3165, Poor Ferguson

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/RobbanxC

Renaultman

Post #9 by Renaultman » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:55 am

Never seen one of those before, looks a right Donkey to drive. Great repaint and build.

mouseman

Post #10 by mouseman » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:12 pm

Hi,
I just found this forum while looking for some parts. I have an Alldig 100 4X4, it looks much the same as Chris' did before he started the restoration.

In answer to one question, the four wheel drive is good. I used it for a barn conversion, did the drains, built my own drive, drains in fields etc. If I ever ended up in soft mud I pulled it out using the back actor while reversing. Once I lifted a large stone and it still worked with only two wheels on the ground. The only problem I have had is the back slide sticking.

To my question. I need a new exhaust silencer and Thwaites no longer stock them. They offered to make one for me but it sounds a bit expensive. Does anyone have any ideas about what may be interchangable with this model?

Cheers

Neil

Return to “Projects”