Jcb 3c mk3

Are you working on a certain project? Renovating an old machine?
Tell us about it here and show us the progress.

jz145

Re: Jcb 3c mk3

Post #51 by jz145 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:11 pm

James, any updates on how your project is comming along? :D

redleicester

Post #52 by redleicester » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:22 am

Blimey, just read all of this thread.... And I wouldn't have a clue where to start with all this!

Note to self: must hunt for a VERY tidy machine!

Topic author
Dieseljimmer

Post #53 by Dieseljimmer » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:07 pm

redleicester wrote:Blimey, just read all of this thread.... And I wouldn't have a clue where to start with all this!

Hi HK,

Don't be put off, I have gone at it a bit more than most would! But there again if you want a reliable work horse you have to be satisfied that it will start when you want it to and your not spending your time fixing it when you want to be working it! A compromise I suppose.

Updated Pictures to follow
Jimmer

Topic author
Dieseljimmer

Post #54 by Dieseljimmer » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:23 pm

Hi All, :bow:
Sorry, nudged again! You’ve beaten me to it; I had the pic’s ready and waiting! Honest! It’s been a busy time finishing it off ready for work.

IT LIVES!!!! Well it did :dizzy: !

ItLives.jpg

As you can see from the pictures below, the head is now off due to coolant leaking into the oil. Up to now the water has been fine, whether or not it’s because of more use the cylinder head gasket has failed I‘m not sure? Also the clutch has been giving trouble. It is high on the pedal to engage and sometimes if you lift your foot off the pedal nothing happens, if you lift your foot off quick then it will bite, not good :doh: !

The picture of the machine was its first bit of work and to be fair I always thought that I might have a few problems once worked in anger. The hoses have been ok and the system is holding oil quiet well at the moment!
It took a while to find a problem with the head. If the really cause? One of the pictures is of a corroded through core plug, that’s the only thing we could find really. It has crossed my mind about the seals at the bottom of the liners.

CorePlug.jpg

Block.jpg

Head.jpg

Can anyone shed any light on the commonly know failures for coolant into the oil? At the moment we are scratching our heads a bit :dizzy: !

While the head is off we will have a look at the clutch as well. Once all this is done it should be ready to roll, figures crossed :thumbup:!

Ok, things are moving apace, I'll up date you all sooner this time, promise :thumbup:

DJ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #55 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:55 pm

James the only ways that engine oil can become contaminated with coolant is as follows; firstly if the head gasket is blown between a section of the cooling jacket and the oil feed to the valve gear, secondly if its a wet liner engine then liner seals can leak or in the case of the larger Cummins engines you can get liner cavitation which is lots of little holes drilled through the side of the liner usually by electrolysis that takes place in the engine.
Lastly if you have a water cooled oil cooler on the engine that could also give the same symptom, any other causes are rare and you would be very unlucky to find the problem to be something like a cracked engine block.
Thats the only advice I can offer as I am not familiar with these engines, best of luck any way.

Jeremy

redleicester

Re: Re: Jcb 3c mk3

Post #56 by redleicester » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:13 pm

Dieseljimmer wrote:
redleicester wrote:Blimey, just read all of this thread.... And I wouldn't have a clue where to start with all this!

Hi HK,

Don't be put off, I have gone at it a bit more than most would! But there again if you want a reliable work horse you have to be satisfied that it will start when you want it to and your not spending your time fixing it when you want to be working it! A compromise I suppose.

Updated Pictures to follow
Jimmer

Thanks DJ. I think my concern stems from being not one iota as mechanically minded or competent as you chaps, so 90% of such work would have to be carried out by others.... And that inevitably means £££! Totally agree though, no point in having a Yellow Elephant that never works when I need it to!

Mark.Rive

Post #57 by Mark.Rive » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:24 pm

Another superb update DJ :thumbup: Sorry she's playing up though. Its got to be either the head gasket or a liner. Both of those can be repaired without too much hassle. Wont even mention the other stuff, that would be thinking worst for you! Thanks Mark.

Topic author
Dieseljimmer

Post #58 by Dieseljimmer » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:35 am

Thanks Jeremy and Mark,

Assessing it all I think it's a combination of lack of use for so long and possibly the core plug corroding through. I'm hoping that the liners and the bottom seals will be okay! Fingers crossed!

:thumbup:

Martyn Henley
Flag: Great Britain

Post #59 by Martyn Henley » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:37 pm

You are doing a mighty fine job there James, the machine is looking good, :thumbup: apart from the mechanical problems, all you have to do now is the wheel rims red and the JCB logos

Martyn
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
Dieseljimmer

Post #60 by Dieseljimmer » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:49 pm

Thanks for the compliment Martyn,
Wow, a very well presented machine you have there, I can see what I'm up against now! :bow:

Return to “Projects”