Jcb 3c mk3

Are you working on a certain project? Renovating an old machine?
Tell us about it here and show us the progress.

Martyn Henley
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Jcb 3c mk3

Post #61 by Martyn Henley » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:04 pm

Its not mine James, its one that JCB renovated a few years ago .. it used to sit in the main entrance hall, that photo was taken at one of JCB's open days.
DSC02562.jpg

this is one of mine
3cmk3678.JPG

Martyn
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
Dieseljimmer

Post #62 by Dieseljimmer » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:57 pm

Ah right, is it the one they call a Build 5 or Project 5? I'm looking at the long exhaust stack! The mirrors are interest to, long extention arms. I was wonder why everytime I get into mine you catch yourself on the mirror, long extension arms are the answer!

Nice one Martyn :thumbup:

Stormin
Flag: Great Britain

Post #63 by Stormin » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:19 pm

Dieseljimmer wrote:Thanks Jeremy and Mark,

Assessing it all I think it's a combination of lack of use for so long and possibly the core plug corroding through. I'm hoping that the liners and the bottom seals will be okay! Fingers crossed!

:thumbup:

Is it a big job to whip the sump off whilst you've got the engine in bits and look for any tell tale drips or rust stains around the bottom edge of the liners? Maybe even fill the water jacket with anti-freeze for a few days and see if any makes it's may out the bottom. I say anti-freeze as I believe it's thinner or wetter than water and finds cracks easier.

Topic author
Dieseljimmer

Post #64 by Dieseljimmer » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:37 pm

Hi Norman,
I know where your coming from, antifreeze is more "searching" than just water on it's own. The jury is still out on the liner seals! :think: The head is rebuilt and ready to go. Charnley's got me some core plugs down overnight, very impressed! :claphands:

As for the clutch the problem has been found, a siezed cross shaft. I'm supprise it hadn't bent the clutch pedal rod :dizzy: It looks like its peg in place and has limited movement anyway :doh: at least it is freeing up now. As for the clutch itself I need to find out the thinkness, new, of the driven plate. It does look like it has been slipping but again I don't know whether thats a symptom of the siezed cross shaft. It looks a pricing set up to me, drive plate and pressure plate! :dizzy:

Catch you soon
DJ

Topic author
Dieseljimmer

Post #65 by Dieseljimmer » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:43 pm

As per Norman's suggestion :bow: the water jacket has been filled with neat antifreeze up to the top, so far it hasn't gone anywhere :thumbup: I will leave it over the weekend and see what its like on Monday.

As for the cross shaft, thats freed off after appling a tin full of top quality realeasing spray :dizzy: I'm going to leave the clutch plate as is and get some use out of it first! It seems easy enough to rleplace if I need to in the future, now everything is free to unbolt :dizzy:

DJ

Topic author
Dieseljimmer

Post #66 by Dieseljimmer » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:54 pm

Hi All,
Sorry, haven’t been as diligent as Mark has been with his post! :bow:

Well, everything is rebuilt and it’s all been put to the test. Engine has been run in anger, dug a trench for exploration in to some footings for a wall and it went fine, no lose of water, great :thumbup:!
Clutch is mad :shock: really good now couldn’t believe the difference; it will pull the side of a house down now :thumbup: . In hindsight I didn’t really need to go to the hassle of taking the clutch housing cover out and the clutch just needed to check the free play on the cross shaft beforehand.
Anyway it’s all checked now. Road tested it for the first time 5th gear high and low are noisy so suspect a problem with a 5th gear tooth or a bearing! I’m going to park that one for a bit as I don’t envisage it doing many road miles!

I'll update with some working pictures soon :thumbup:

Mark.Rive

Post #67 by Mark.Rive » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:25 pm

Another informative post, thanks DJ :thumbup: Look forward to the pictures of your machine at work. Cheers Mark

Topic author
Dieseljimmer

Post #68 by Dieseljimmer » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:23 pm

Wow, I can’t believe that my last posting here was the 23rd August! How time flies!! :shock:

Since the exploration dig, which incorporated the engine test run, everything appeared to be okay. The machine was laid up waiting for an opportune time to drive it to its final place of work. After having driven it around the block and knowing that 5th gear sounded a bit ropy I was a bit apprehensive at the thought of driving it the 10 or so miles to my home/place of work. Another factor in all this was that I’d never driven a machine of this size and nature! So as you can imagine I was picking the weather and time in which to do it carefully!

Well, an early sunny Saturday morning mid-September looked favourite for the trip home so grabbed some tools, checked the oil and water and away to go! The gear selection was the first problem, double de-clutch and all that and it still proved difficult to select a gear whilst on the move then you lose momentum and you’re back at square one. :dizzy: I managed to negotiate a hill start at a set of traffic lights, great! :thumbup: Then there was a bit of plain sailing/bobbing about the place and getting used to that then a gentle incline and the engine started struggling to pull for some reason! Then I notice a brake type smell, a pull-in is what I need, not many places in a built up area! Smell/engine struggle was getting worse, I realised, brakes where binding!! :dizzy: So picture the scene, big JCB up on the kerb at a bus stop, stream of cars just getting past, little old lady walking up the pavement looking for the bus stop and trying to keep clear of big yellow JCB, she was not impressed! :thumbdown: Me now thinking, :think: where can I turn around and park up to get underneath and release the binding brakes and in all this trying not to run over the old lady’s toes!! :dizzy: Needless to say I managed to turn it around and free the brakes, back to the garage it went! Right plan B, call in the transport!! :doh:

The brakes are another issue aren’t they!? Adjusted to JCB’s service manual recommendation and then they jam on, brilliant! :doh: I need to re-adjust then now that it’s at the work place.

Transport duly arranged. When the truck turned up it was a joy driving it up the ramp, not having to worry about lack of steering, or problems with no clutch, these were the problems I had with it when I first picked it up!

The machine is working well at the moment, it’s not had any really heavy use and due to the complexities of it all you’re constantly worrying that something might break, but touch wood, it’s working well! It’s certainly earning its keep now! :thumbup:

A couple of observation since working it; no wonder they progressed over to the power shift set up, constantly depressing the clutch and changing from 1st to reverse or vice versa certainly builds up the muscle in the left leg even if the clutch mechanism is all nice and free! :dizzy: I’ll get some picture to put on here of it in operation soon. The play in the back hoe pins is starting to show now that things are freeing up a bit. :thumbdown: I always knew that there would be work needed in this area. The tyres are also on their limits of serviceability but I think it’s a trade-off between ripping the place up and getting around! So a second hand set of tyres will be on the shopping list at some point!

All things considered, I’m pleased with how it’s all turned out! It needs to earn its keep now!!

Catch you soon with some picture of it working, maybe even a youtube video :thumbup:

DJ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mark.Rive

Post #69 by Mark.Rive » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:39 pm

Yet again an entertaining post DJ. Your road trip sounds exciting! Glad it worked out in the end. And she looks very nice too :thumbup: Cheers for now Mark.

Topic author
Dieseljimmer

Post #70 by Dieseljimmer » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:45 am

Hi Mark,
Thanks for the compliment :bow:

Yeh the road trip was pretty mad, shall we say that the sweat was pouring off at one point :dizzy:

I'll start posting in the Loader/Backhoe section on here now.

Cheers
DJ

PS Keep up the good work Mark :thumbup:

Return to “Projects”