Jcb 3c mk3

Are you working on a certain project? Renovating an old machine?
Tell us about it here and show us the progress.

Topic author
Dieseljimmer

Jcb 3c mk3

Post #1 by Dieseljimmer » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:21 pm

Hi All,
Well here we go baptism of fire!! Here are some picture of my recent purchase for my smallholding and extension building project, planning permission currently pending!
It certainly looked like it had been laid up for sometime when we went to do the deal! It fired up pretty much first time once I had realised that one of the cap was missing off the spool valve for the 4 in 1 bucket. I was trying to start it against the pump as one of the levers was calling for the bucket to rise! Once this was sussed the engine started no problem.
Hydraulics are working. When we were trying all the operations they suddenly stopped working, couldn’t work out why to start with, lack of oil! I had to pour in 20lts of oil and still nothing showed up on the sight glass in the cab. It’s all working in a fashion but oil is coming out of the filler plug when it’s running, any ideas?
Got it home, not without drama, running up the ramp onto the back of the haulage truck, just on the brow then lost the steering! I forgot to mention as well, all the brake fulcrums and pivots were seized also, much fun!!
As soon as it was at the workshop it was out with the steam cleaner to clear off the many years of congealed grease and mud from the engine, backhoe and from within the cab. From the floor underneath the backhoe levers I had two bucket full’s of muck out before I got down to the checker plate!
Once in the workshop the glass was taken out of the cab and the cab was removed. Reading other threads on this forum they seem to suffer, as has this one, and to top it off they appear to be like hen’s teeth!! Once the cab was off it was out with the de-scaling gun. My plan is to re paint the cab area and repair the cab and rebuild it ready for use. I will need to replace a few hose’s as there are a number that have gone hard and are showing signs of cracking. I’ll give it a good service, drop all the oils change all the filters then run it for a bit and see what gives trouble!
I’ll keep you posted with more pictures as I progress. Seeing as this is my first foray into plant I’m sure that I’m going to need some advice along the way from the good people on this forum!
Catch you soon with more updates
James.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Dieseljimmer on Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

diggerjones
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Jcb 3c mk3 1987

Post #2 by diggerjones » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:31 pm

it looks a straight machine, not nocked about to much, i think this model is quite sought after with 4 in 1 and exstending dipper. well done.

essexpete

Post #3 by essexpete » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:16 pm

Does it have the twin pump fitted? As to the oil blowing out the filler it used to on our if you tried to run it with the screw cap off.

XS650

Post #4 by XS650 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:06 am

Anorak point , its not 1987 . :)
Not all those who wander are lost.

newjcb123uk

Post #5 by newjcb123uk » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:31 pm

XS650 wrote:Anorak point , its not 1987 . :)

Indeed Craig I'd say more like 1977 :ugeek:

Nice pics :thumbup:
"A man reaps what he sows"

Topic author
Dieseljimmer

Post #6 by Dieseljimmer » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:45 pm

diggerjones wrote:it looks a straight machine, not nocked about to much, i think this model is quite sought after with 4 in 1 and exstending dipper. well done.

Thanks for that Dylan. When I was doing the deal the Guy I bought it off was pushing those points!! I also noticed around the web that these modles tend to command a little more. I wasn't particularly looking for this model thats just what he had on offer!

Topic author
Dieseljimmer

Post #7 by Dieseljimmer » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:48 pm

essexpete wrote:Does it have the twin pump fitted? As to the oil blowing out the filler it used to on our if you tried to run it with the screw cap off.

Hi Pete, when you mean twin pumps where is the other pump fitted? This is leaking oil when the filler plug is in place and is done up as tight as possible with the two jubilee clips! Maybe it needs a new piece of filler hose or some filters need changing somewhere along the line!?

Topic author
Dieseljimmer

Post #8 by Dieseljimmer » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:04 pm

Thanks for the reply, Craig and Chris, it shows how much I need to learn about these machine and I thought something wasn't tying up! The registration Mark is “V” reg. which puts it at 1978, Machine No. 135627, as you correctly say :bow: . What has thrown me is in the cab there is a plate with the company that supplied it; I suppose this could be supplied second hand 10 years later!
:doh: Another notch on the sleeve! Disregard what I wrote above the plate in the cab is a lifting check that it has had along the way from Davwell Engineering of Hereford giving it a safe working load of MOBILE FRONT 1000kgs and STATIC ON LEGS REAR of 500kgs, :roll: , the web is a great place for information, Davwell Engineering are still in business doing lifting checks on equipment!

MrF
Flag: France

Re: Jcb 3c mk3

Post #9 by MrF » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:44 pm

On my 3c (non extradig), when it ran low on hydraulic fluid the steering went notchy first, then stopped working altogether. They hold 100+ litres of the stuff so you can put in a few gallons and it not really show if its too low. On mine the sight glass tube in the cab is aged and opaque, so its difficult to see how much is in there.
The other thing I did was it always seemed a little sluggish to work properly in the mornings steering wise and it took me a age to add new oil. Then I changed out the big hydraulic filter on the right hand corner one day and it was night and day, the fill port makes the new oil run through the filter system first then into the tank. When I had chance to pour the actual quantity of oil in, I found that I could actually tell the level in the tube after all its just I had ran it too low all along. Filter wasnt expensive from diggerparts.net, best money Ive spent.

XS650

Re: Jcb 3c mk3

Post #10 by XS650 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:13 pm

The registration Mark is “V” reg. which puts it at 1978,

The old 3C series which look similar from 1963-1979 ( and I suppose a few in 1980 ) were replaced by the all new and different looking 3CX in 1980 :thumbup:
Not all those who wander are lost.

Return to “Projects”