Dumper to log saw

Are you working on a certain project? Renovating an old machine?
Tell us about it here and show us the progress.

Topic author
rossifan

Dumper to log saw

Post #1 by rossifan » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:23 pm

Hi
I have a Thwaites 2wd dumper which I think is a 30cwt Tusker. There is a woodruff key slot on the end of the front crankshaft. I believe this model could take a back actor so I suppose this was the power take off for the digger pump.
I would like to know if I could attach a tractor pto to the shaft and run a 30 inch logging saw off it obviously after removing the skip bucket.
The engine is a Petter PH2 diesel and I think about 15 hp. Would this be enough to run a saw blade to cut logs.
I have seen pictures of Mconnel benches and they seem to be powered by Lister Petter engines?
Many Thanks for any replies.

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Re: Dumper to log saw

Post #2 by FOWLER MAN » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:59 pm

Hi James.
I had a Liner site saw at one time. It had a 24 inch blade and was powered by a single cylinder Lister so you shuuld be ok for power.
Good luck.
Fred

NorthernEngine

Post #3 by NorthernEngine » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:30 pm

I realize this is an old post, but just to confirm what Fred said -

I have a Liner saw powered by a single cylinder AVA1 that outs out 5 or 6 hp, so the ph2 will run it fine.

Incidentally I also have a Tusker digger and a PH2 powered Benford 4x4 forklift - both put out about 13hp I think.

Cheers

old gag

Post #4 by old gag » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:30 pm

Hi I am new to this forum I would like some advice please, I have bought a back hoe/ digger/ bmc md8 which seems to be an American model,
I have bought it with the intention of fitting it to a dumper, The person I bought it off said he had been using it on a flat bed trailer with a power pack so thought it suitable for dumper fitting. It was interesting to read what was said about the power take off for a hydraulic pump,What would you experts advise as the best dumper to use?. i was thinking of leaving the skip on and fixing 2 rsjs protruding from the back and fixing the backhoe to these it has 2 stabiliser rams each side so all the weight would not be on the dumper.
All so I was thinking of adding ballast to the skip when needed to act as a counter weight. The plate on the machine says BRANTLY MFG CO FREDERICK OKLAHOMA SERIES MD8 the only information I can find on line says that they manufacture helecopters what do you think of this idea any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Return to “Projects”